Australian Commando/ Royal Marine Commando ?

Dean_AU

Reaction score
G'day all ,
I am currently in the Australian army reserve as an infantry soldier and I have been for 2 years now. I have been trying for the last year to get into the ARA Infantry (Australian Regular Army) but I have been knocked back twice with the reasons of "Oversubscribed' and "The Infantry is 110% overmanned". I definitely DO NOT want to be a reserve grunt anymore, the only deployment we get is peacekeeping in Timor and that does not appeal to me one bit. I want a full time career that is challenging and rewarding and most of all the on the ground combat of infantry.

January this year I enquired with the Royal marines, I thought if I cant go Infantry here I will give it a crack over in England. They recruiting office sent me the overseas information pack and the things I need to get done and sent over before I go through the selection process. (education , passport, birth certificates, references etc). I am very close to getting all of this done, but there is one thing that is stopping me and that is time, I have read on here and other sites that it can take up to 4-6 months for the recruiting process, this is a long time to be living in another country. So then i thought about joining the Australian Commandos which is relatively the same amount of time but I will be living at home and can still be stable.

So after hearing my story can anyone shed some light on my situation, and maybe give me some advice on what to do next, I know I will be discharging from the Australian Army Reserves because I am getting no career progression whatosever.

Any career advice/Information on what to do next would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks, Dean .

iAmTheRyan

Reaction score
Hello.

Yes it is true that the average waiting times for selection is roughly 6 months. However, overseas applicants can sometimes pre arrange the selection process if they call ahead far enough in advance and condense the selection time to roughly 6 weeks.

Hope that helps!

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
As well as what's already been said, maybe it's important to ask yourself what you want in your career.

2 Commando are currently deployed to Afghanistan with SOTG, and this is all very good. The Royal Marines get plenty of deployment, too. Difference is, when Afghan is over, will 2cdo still get you regular deployment? The RM have been deployed for 69 of the past 70 years, whereas Aussie SOTG gets quite a bit less 'action' so to speak. They've had Timor, Iraq and Afghan in the last 15 years or so but before that, not much since the Vietnam war.

It really depends what you're willing to give, to make the world's elite. Bare in mind, RM are arguably NATO/ISAF's toughest conventional unit but 2cdo are essentially a Special Forces unit.

RoyalCanuck

Reaction score
If you are going to go to the trouble of flying out to England to undergoe the initial assessments make sure you are 100% certain it is what you want. It is an expensive trip.

The time frame for your trip will depend on the AFCO you decide to pursue your application with. I was lucky enough to finish my Recruitment Test, Medical, RMAD (in place of a PJFT) and my Interview in 4 weeks. Realise 4 weeks is a very quick time frame to get through the process and you should prepare for a 6 week trip minimum. That's what I did; I booked my return flight just over 6 weeks after my RT appointment and explained to my AFCO that I would be "on-call" so to speak for any cancellations they have.

The time in between your interview and PRMC is probably the longest wait. From what I understand most people, myself included, go home to work and continue training before attempting a PRMC. I was once told by the overseas desk that following a successful PRMC some overseas candidates are offered a position immediately so they dont have to fly home before Recruit Training. But again as Ninja will probably tell you, it is all circumstancial.

Before you make any travel plans speak with the Overseas Desk and research which AFCO would work best for you. Also check and recheck your qualifications and medical before investing any money in your application. Being turned down for a requirement listed on this forum would be a kick in the teeth. This forum is an amazing source of information, even if sometimes it feels like you are sifting through 30 kg of dirt for a gram of gold.

Best of luck with your app,

RC

Poley123

Reaction score
Could i pre-apply? I will be 15 and 9 in 4 months and im wondering if i could pre-apply so i could cut down the waiting period. I am also a overseas applicant.

iAmTheRyan

Reaction score
Could i pre-apply? I will be 15 and 9 in 4 months and im wondering if i could pre-apply so i could cut down the waiting period. I am also a overseas applicant.
It seems as though most applicants have gotten their AFCO to be able to do it, not all do though apparently. I believe you must call at least a month or more in advance.

RoyalCanuck

Reaction score
I am not sure that you can apply before you reach the age restriction. But to be sure, contact the Overseas Desk in London. Their contact information is supplied in the following thread:

no-longer-validshowthread.php?t=19619[/url]

Have a look at the Overseas Section Stickies for more information.

Regards,

RC