Australian ex army

diggernet

Reaction score
Moved here 2014 and been waiting for the 5 years to tick over, 33rd birthday Oct 2020 so hoping to be in by then. Any other aussies in here? if so any extra obstacles to jump over in the recruitment process

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Welcome,

My guess is that security clearance and your medical will be the most problematic especially if you have had any previous injuries but someone better advised will be along to say otherwise.

diggernet

Reaction score
Hi mate
What are chances that they are going to want to see everything? Nightmare to sort that and have it all sent over. Also thinking of the fact I should still be ‘inactive reserve’ I wonder if that will conflict with service here.

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
To be honest I don't really know, if you join the RM with previous service in the UK they do ask to see your medical docs. Sorry if I've panicked you!

@Ninja_Stoker or @CHUB! are the best people to answer.

R

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Moved here 2014 and been waiting for the 5 years to tick over, 33rd birthday Oct 2020 so hoping to be in by then. Any other aussies in here? if so any extra obstacles to jump over in the recruitment process

Curious as to why you want to join the corp when so many are attempting lateral transfer to join the australian forces for better pay and conditions?

diggernet

Reaction score
Curious as to why you want to join the corp when so many are attempting lateral transfer to join the australian forces for better pay and conditions?

Went the wrong way mate

Reactions: R

diggernet

Reaction score

I took a years leave to come over work/travel and met a girl while I was here

Reactions: R

diggernet

Reaction score
Would love too but my step sons about to start high school, his dad and all my wife’s family are here. 5-10 years from now might be a different story

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
Good luck.

They will be best placed to give you the gen. Can’t imagine it’s very common.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If you hold a Commonwealth passport, the 5 year residency waiver can currently be waived in order to join the service.

Those with former military service are required to prove they have no recall or reserve liability.

diggernet

Reaction score
If you hold a Commonwealth passport, the 5 year residency waiver can currently be waived in order to join the service.

Those with former military service are required to prove they have recall or reserve liability.

I should have made contact with recruiting rather than advice from people who I assumed were in the know in regards the waiver.

Im having family compile a mountian of documents including med docs along with x rays ect. Is it worth bringing along jump records and diver logs or pointless as I wont be jumping/diving.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I should have made contact with recruiting rather than advice from people who I assumed were in the know in regards the waiver.

I'm having family compile a mountian of documents including med docs along with x rays ect. Is it worth bringing along jump records and diver logs or pointless as I wont be jumping/diving.
Med docs yes, record of service (beyond the reqired production of a certificate of discharge and confirmation of no remaining recall liability) is not essential, but good to have if readily available.

You are also entitled to wear medals from former military service issued by the Crown. Whether you qualify to wear military jumps course wings is subject to confirmation by the Royal Marines upon entry, as is the bubblehead (diving) badge.

The current Commonwealth residency waiver was only re-introduced last November.

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score

Well, Yes.

It should go without saying that AFCOs and recruiting staff should be your first port of call. They will have access to the information you require.

0345 607 55 55 is the Royal Navy recruitment line.

diggernet

Reaction score
Can someone give exact advice on age? I’m 32 in oct, was under the impression I could start rt before 33rd birthday? Recruiter just knocked me back on age saying I would have to start before oct this year (31).
I have previous army experience ending March 2015

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
For the Royal Marines you have to be: At least 15 years old and 9 months when you apply. Over 16 years old on entry. Under 33 years old when you begin basic training.

It states if you are seeking re-entry to the Naval Service, you may receive a waiver if you are outside these age requirements.

To find out more, call 0345 607 5555.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It states if you are seeking re-entry to the Naval Service, you may receive a waiver if you are outside these age requirements.
Yep, that's for RN or RM trained ranks re-joining.

Worth an ask, but my gut feeling is @diggernet will need to at least pass PRMC before his 33rd birthday to be in with a shout if joining as a RM Recruit.