Average age of batch

Discussion in 'RM Officer questions' started by StanRM, May 24, 2015.

1. StanRM

StanRM Member

Just wondering if anyone can shine some light on what the average age of an officer batch usually is??
    I am 23 and if I get a place will start training when I am 24, just concerned that I will be singled out for being older maybe. I have been to Uni which is one of the reasons I will be slightly older.
    Just wanted peoples thoughts and experience on the age of RM officers.

Thanks

2. BrigRat

BrigRat Well-Known Member

I was told from several guys 23/24 is average. Most guys have been to uni then done a gap year or studied or whatever and by the time of the batch they're that age.

At my POC there were guys from age 18 fresh from school to 25 year olds.

3. StanRM

StanRM Member

Cheers. Yeah thats kind of what I have heard as well. I have also from speaking to some young officers not just RM but Army as well that lads who try out at 18/19 tend to get turned away due to lack of experience and maturity etc.

Don't know if this is the case or not.

Think because the process to get through the selection can take so long and only one intake a year it means the average tends to be higher than that of other officers e.g. Navy

4. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

"Singled out" for what exactly Stan?

5. StanRM

StanRM Member

Was listening to RM training podcast and he said older guys sometimes find it a bit harder and sometimes stand out more to the DS.
    Would want to be a grey man a little bit. Never good to stand out to much.

6. MumtoRM

MumtoRM Moderator

I would say if you're going for a commission being the grey man won't cut the mustard!

You're supposed to stand out, it's what makes you officer material!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Monos

Monos New Member

seeing as how going to uni is required for going in as a officer, i think you will be fine.

8. BrigRat

BrigRat Well-Known Member

It's not mate.

Stan, best of luck with selection!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Monos

Monos New Member

:O must check this out now.

10. StanRM

StanRM Member

Agreed stand out but its not about standing out for the wrong reasons that what I was meaning by being a grey man. You don't want to stand out for being the joker, being the old man, being the clever clogs, being the arrogant one or the pretty boy etc.

Do you not think? Be good to get other views you don't want DS staff keeping an overly close eye on you. I was talking mainly about training.

11. CMT

CMT Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    @Monos I'm currently doing my A levels which will get me ucas points and officers can go direct entry with 180 ucas points which is the equivalent of a B and a C at A level. So more than doable for those who aren't suited to uni.

12. "freddie"

"freddie" Former Royal Marines SNCO.

If you are any of the above How do you plan on hiding it?

13. StanRM

StanRM Member

I'm not any of the above. Original question was just relating to age and I didn't know if 23/24 was old or not. I was just using examples for what I meant by grey man, not standing out for the wrong reasons.
    Freddie in your experience you must know what I mean about guys who stand out??

14. Gos85

Gos85 Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I'm going to be 30 when I reapply, I'm going to stand out like a sore thumb *text deleted*

15. "freddie"

"freddie" Former Royal Marines SNCO.

Yes I do, if your going to stand out you're going to regardless, trying to be something/someone you are not will not work long term. age will make no difference what so ever, maturity however will.
    Before you get the wrong idea the above answer if for the reference of anyone reading this thread, it's not all about you.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

My experience from another place is that everyone will be subjected to 'special scrutiny' at some point, no matter how hard one tries to be the 'grey man'.

Paradoxically, anyone particularly skilled at being a 'grey man' will attract attention for being so. What matters is how one reacts to such attention. As "freddie" suggests, just be yourself.