Average age?

PRMBenjey1993

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
One for Ninja or one of the lads in RT
What's the average age of a recruit?
I'm 19, will probably be 20 in training (assuming I get to that stage), are there likely to be many more younger guys than me, like coming straight from school or what have you.
Just something I was wondering about.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Twenty one is near enough "average"

Every troop pretty much has someone aged over 30, two or three aged 27-30, a couple aged 16/17, a couple of re-joins, an Ozzy/Kiwi/S.Afrikaan or Canadian, one or two ex-Army or RAF, etc., etc...

PRMBenjey1993

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Ah okay,
And who are statistically most likely to succeed, and fail?
Just out of interest of course.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
For differing reasons, in my experience, those most likely to succeed in Recruit Training are those aged between approximately 19-25 depending on physical & mental maturity.

It goes without saying that those aged 16 or 32 can achieve success but statistically the odds diminish significantly for those under 18 or over 28.

alfaholic

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I have just turned 28 and so will be the 'grandad' of the group.
However it doesn't bother me one bit as I still get asked for ID for alcohol so shouldn't stand out too much...

antnyw

Reaction score
Im 29 an currently going through my application for the royal marines.Im a bricklayer by trade but had enough of it and want a challenge.*text deleted** seen alot of life and i beleive that at 29, im in the best shape of my life and im ready for whatever challenge comes my way.1 thing is for sure i will never never never give up until i get my green lid and that i can assure you.

Onetwo

Reaction score
Umm, someone from Canada.
:noob:
Understandable. After Canada left the British commonwealth and became an American state teachings about the nation left British schooling.
However, now that the border dispute between India and Canada is clearing up we may once again resume talks about re-joining the commonwealth.. After the dowry has been taken care of, of course.

RMC WATKINS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Understandable. After Canada left the British commonwealth and became an American state teachings about the nation left British schooling.
However, now that the border dispute between India and Canada is clearing up we may once again resume talks about re-joining the commonwealth.. After the dowry has been taken care of, of course.
What? Under my understanding Canada is still part of the British Commonwealth??

C

C

When you get to Lympstone just refer to anyone with an American-ish accent as a yank, Canadians love being confused with Americans. :cheesy:

Liffguard

Reaction score
I'm a 25 year old rejoin with a PRMC on May 1st. Depending on whether I pass it and how long to be given a start date I could be pushing 26 by the time I join.

dbar8886

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ill be 27! 28 if theres any application hiccups! BUT i WILL get my green beret even if my bones are smashed, im *text deleted**text deleted* drag myself there if i have to. Besides, i reckon men of high fitness can still peak around up until they're 35 so theres still time to smash it all us oldies.
All you younguns, just be thankful your getting cracking now and not wasting time being miserable on civvie street!