B&B's for Families day

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Family are looking to pencil in some plans early. Does anyone have any suggestions with regards to decent B&B's local to CTC

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Premier Inn in Exmouth is great. The Devoncourt resort, also in Exmouth is old fashioned, but clean and tidy, and great value.

Rob20

Reaction score
Cheers mate. Will have a look

Saz

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Have they had their letter? There is usually a list of b&b’s provided with the letter but agree premier inn is good

Chelonian

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions with regards to decent B&B's local to CTC

Also a Premier Inn just across the road from Exeter St Davids railway station. Not as convenient as Exmouth but practical for anyone planning to travel by rail.

Rob20

Reaction score
Also a Premier Inn just across the road from Exeter St Davids railway station. Not as convenient as Exmouth but practical for anyone planning to travel by rail.

I'll have a look. They are planning on getting the train down.

@Saz I start early November but my family just want some options pencilled in etc. They understand it's not set in stone but they're having a look in advance for now

Reactions: Saz

Chelonian

Reaction score
I'll have a look. They are planning on getting the train down.

The train journey between Exeter St Davids and Lympstone Commando is frequent and a reasonably painless half-hour trip with no changes. Aside from Premier Inn, Exeter has a wide choice of accommodation.
It's important to remember when one boards the Exmouth train that Lympstone Commando is a request stop.

Rob20

Reaction score
The train journey between Exeter St Davids and Lympstone Commando is frequent and a reasonably painless half-hour trip with no changes. Aside from Premier Inn, Exeter has a wide choice of accommodation.
It's important to remember when one boards the Exmouth train that Lympstone Commando is a request stop.

Yer fair one. Are families allowed to use the station then? I was planning on getting them off at Exton and coming in the front gates. I'm sure I'll get all the details I need once I'm down there but they love being overly organised o_O

Chelonian

Reaction score
Are families allowed to use the station then?

The official statement about Lympstone Commando railway station is that "...only persons who have business at CTCRM should alight there."
But this is as much about deterring tourists from alighting at a station without a pub as it is about security. :) The platform itself is outside the camp perimeter but it's a lonely place.

Civilians arriving for Families' Day will almost certainly carry appropriate papers and/or will be on a list to enable entry to the camp.

...but they love being overly organised o_O

Ha! I share that particular trait. And so will you! If they want paper copies of the current GWR timetables just PM me.

Orsen62

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Premier Inn in Exmouth is great. The Devoncourt resort, also in Exmouth is old fashioned, but clean and tidy, and great value.
Remember the Nod's fear of Exmouth!!! Exeter ok but Exmouth put's the fear of god in them:eek:
We drove through on our families day and our Nod sat in the car with his hood up for fear of being seen by a trained rank:)

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
As others have said, there is plenty of accommodation in this area, particularly as the summer season has ended. There are three Premier Inns in Exeter, plus a Holiday Inn Express, Jurys Inn and numerous other hotels. Between the two and a favourite with families visiting CTC is the George and Dragon at Clyst St George.

In Exmouth, amongst scores of small places, there is another Premier Inn and also a B and B called Rohaven, which advertises in the G and L, as well as the Devoncourt Hotel.

Alan

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Families General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat 0
R Families day 2020 Parents & Partners 1
Chelonian Families' Day Handbook 2020 Parents & Partners 5