Back in Training

SR

Reaction score
Alright guys,

I've just got back into training after a 2 month lay off with a back injury. I've been on the bike for the week before last 2 days doing 3 miles and 2 days 5 miles.

I started running last week. 1st i did 10 mins on 12.5km/ph just to see how to back would cope. All great, no pain during or after the run. Then the next 3 days i ran 3 mins on 12.5km/ph then a min on 15 km/ph then back down to 12.5km/ph, did that 3 times round. All well with the back still.

I've tried to keep going with my press ups and assisted sit ups, tried them yesterday in 2 mins i got 41 press ups and 60 sit ups. I was pleased with these because of how long i have been of training.

Anyway, if anyone has any tips to get my fitness back to how it was especially running that would be great.

Cheers.

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
See if you can get to 60 pressups in 2 minutes, I can do it with 30 seconds to spare, (and they are proper form)

W/\Nnabe

Reaction score
u alright *text deleted*! *text deleted* just recently been suffering a back problem too! pulled a muscle during deadlifting last week, still a bit stiff! a bit sore! the only thing i can really say about getting back into running is running regularly!

ATROPHY is the reversibility of fitness! atrophy kicks in after 3 days of INACTIVITY so dont have more than 2 days rest from running! if you stop for 12 days you will literally be back at square 1!

i would recommened HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) this is where you jog at a steady pace for around 2 minutes then sprint for 30 seconds! keep doing this! it actually will help your endurance ability along with the obvious sprint ability! do the steady jog and sprint cycle about 5 times! (5 jogs to 5 sprints!) that mean you will do about 12 mins 30 seconds a day!

the thing with HIIT is you are breathing harder! this will help maximise and promote your lung capacity! making it harder for you to get out of breath and obviously hold your breath for longer!

another MASSIVELY GREAT ADVANTAGE is that using the HIIT will build up your recovery rate a HELL of a lot faster than a 4 mile jog at a steady pace!

HIIT TRAINING IS VERY HARD AND TIRING SO ONCE YOU HAVE DONE THE 30 SECOND SPRINT DO NOT STOP! if you carry on jogging after the sprint at a normal steady pace your body learns to recover while you are jogging ready for the next sprint! if you do this everyday you can expect to see mass improvements within the week! your body will be able to run for longer without getting tired and you will be a better sprinter! and the most important part your body's recovery system will be MUCH MUCH MORE EFFICIENT!

Windy_Chris

Reaction score
ATROPHY is the reversibility of fitness

Nope, its its the degradation of muscle size/quality due to detraining or sedentary periods.

if you do this everyday you can expect to see mass improvements within the week!

Or injure yourself or not really progress at all, HIIT is particuarly demanding and ineffective at best, detrimental at worst without adequate recovery. You really only need to do 1 maybe 2 sessions of this type a week interspersed with other forms of running/aerobic exercise to get optimum benefit.

I'm in no way meaning to be critical just feel that information should be as accurate as possible.

W/\Nnabe

Reaction score
the best way to train is to put demands on the body! if you dont make your body physically demand more you will not progress in your fitness! simple as that! e.g. you may do a 4 mile jog every other day! thats fine! it will get you fitter but your body starts to see a repeat pattern and becomes too easy for it! once this happens your body wont actually be getting any fitter! so then you have to start using different terrains, lengths, types of running!

examples include: fartlek training, hill running, running through water or mud, HIIT training, long distance endurance runs or purely sprint training!

yes HIIT training is verry difficult on the body and may injure yourself... but whats to say you wont injure yourself while walking to the gym? or making a cheese snadwich? personally *text deleted* never injured myself during training (other than my recent back injury whilst deadlifting) and to be honest i think thats quite good considering *text deleted* been training everyday for nearly a year!

anyway, my own personal opinion is, the only way your *text deleted* injure yourself while jogging is by falling over! (*text deleted*)

and Atrophy is the reversibility of fitness! if you leave a muscle group inactive for a while (few days/weeks) you will notice you either cant run as far/fast or lift as much weight! (that is reversing your fitness) its the opposite of building/promoting/getting fitter!

W/\Nnabe

Reaction score
just to clarify- i do actually know what i am talking about! i have studied and passed Uniformed Services at level 3 to the highest standards! i have the NCFE award! passed all 8 sections of it!

Uniformed Services Level 3 is the study of the body, fitness, muscles- growth, injury, warming up, warming down, atrophy, lactic acid- how it works and how to get rid of it! it is also the study of advanced map and navigational techniques, politics and current affairs with the uniformed and armed services and self defence!

Uniformed Services is also the preperation for entry into Uniformed Services of your own choice- my choice, the Royal Marines. the preperation includes actually becoming expert of theory and practicality of fitness! also other than participating in fitness on the USL3 course i have done a year (this September) of my own personal gruelling fitness regime!

Windy_Chris

Reaction score
Oh dear, very touchy. I would never dare question your many qualifications and obviously vast knowledge on the subject of training and fitness. I too understand the idea behind 'progressive overload' and the importance of variety within a training programme to prevent stagnation and the process of diminishing returns (look it up).

My point stands that you need to recover from bouts of intense activity ie HITT to obtain maximum adaptation to training. I've never heard of a 'snadwich' so couldnt possibly comment on whether you could injure yourself making one but please look up the definition of 'Atrophy' for accuracies sake. Also if you use proper technique when deadlifting you will hopefully avoid injuries in the future :doh:

jasejase

Reaction score
Bleedin hell :amazed: never seen so many !! in one post

SR

Reaction score
Cheers for the response.

Looks like i'll have to re-think my training a little after reading about the new PJFT.

Gtlaau

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sprints ,sprints and more sprints. look for a post of mine about sprint intervals
by john peterson.

Hope your back gets better bro.

Goodluck

Tom

foss

Reaction score
*text deleted* talkin *text deleted**text deleted* i done a btec level 3 uniformed services course whitch is higher than the 1 your on abwt and u hardly even touch on that side of things so *text deleted* be liein.

foss

Reaction score
and im in R.T thers no need to be training lyk that u will just tire your body out and be constantly fatigued u ever heard of over training?.

SR

Reaction score
*text deleted* talkin *text deleted**text deleted* i done a btec level 3 uniformed services course whitch is higher than the 1 your on abwt and u hardly even touch on that side of things so *text deleted* be liein.

You got any advise Foss ?

Cheers Gtlaau

W/\Nnabe

Reaction score
*text deleted* sorry SR! n i meant SANDWICH *text deleted* never meant to be so snappy! i gues its *text deleted* fitness is my life! i live to be in the gym and out jogging! oh and a little tip for anyone who either wants to get into jogging or already is- try and not use a treadmill! if you are a regular gym goer you will realise that you have a choice of FREE WEIGHTS or using WEIGHT MACHINES its ALWAYS best to use free weights as its more natural movement so hence its always best to run outdoors instead of a treadmill!

this is for a few reasons:

outside you have to brave the elements! you should have no excuses for not jogging outdoors! whether its raining, snowing or blistering heat! you should always jog outdoors! why, i hear you ask?

a) jogging outdoors is better on the ankles, shinns and generally the lower leg! this is because it allows your weight and structure of the foot and ankle to adapt to uneven ground, this may be gravel, mud, ditches etc. whereas on a treadmill you will be using only a perfectly smooth surface! if you have ever watched RM RT (royal marine recruit training) you will see they do all their running outdoors! if you have done all your personal training on a treadmill you may be at a disadvantage, your ankles may suffer a lil

b) running outdoors allows your body to adapt accordingly to different conditions! whether that is snow, rain, pouring rain, blistering heat or the freezing cold! this means your body will be more prepared for anything while you are doing your training (remember if its raining on the day of your 4 mile speed march you cant say "ah, no, its raining! maybe we can wait to see if it stops") they will get you out there whatever the day is like!

c) i have a theory that running out in the rain is good for you mentally! *text deleted* if you can survive the stresses put on your body from different weather conditions you mind will be a lot stronger when it comes to a standard jog! this makes you think less of "just quit! have a rest, catch your breath for 5" (now who can honestly say they jog regularly without having a mad fantasy of just stopping and walking and breathing nice and slowly?) *text deleted* and it will make you think more like... "its only a little rain, when did rain ever hurt anybody?" and... "come on this is easy!" i also firmly believe that it helps in the control of your breathing!

well anyway thats my tips on running... try it out! you may benefit! *text deleted* been running like that for almost a year now, i believe the best running conditions is just after it has rained with allot of cloud overhead! as this means its cool! air is fresher!

W/\Nnabe

Reaction score

*text deleted*- my course is a BTec its worth something like 4 A-C grades at GCSE, do you actually want me to take a photo of my certificate and send u it???

*text deleted* *text deleted* only written about how i train! and if your in RT and think what i do is too much to handle then i think you need to re-think your career *text deleted*! *text deleted* suffered 1 injury that lasted 1 week! and that was due to weight lifting! i train 6 days a week and do 5 days a week cardio! *text deleted* never once been tired out from it or 'overtrained' overtrained is a myth! if you can let your body get overtrained then you are weak! pain is nothing and should never stop you training!

W/\Nnabe

Reaction score
and also! if you have actually done Uniformed Services tell me- what is the first defencive action you learn that involves the other persons wrist? if you did USL3 you will know exactly what im talking about!

and also who is Tony Martin! (without googling it)

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
overtrained is a myth! if you can let your body get overtrained then you are weak! pain is nothing and should never stop you training!
clearly then you learned nothing from your course and i would suggest you retake it. if over training is a myth explain stress fractures or exhaustion to me.
if pain is nothing then explain why we evolved that particular sense. pain is the body's way of telling the mind there is something wrong, you register that message then react or block it depending on the cause. though i doubt there is any point myself or anyone else try explain all this to you, it's probably best left to the PTIs
if you look at the fitness program for PRM you will note there are at least 2 rest days, pop into your local AFCO and ask there, if you can stomach humble pie that is.

W/\Nnabe

Reaction score
clearly then you learned nothing from your course and i would suggest you retake it. if over training is a myth explain stress fractures or exhaustion to me. if pain is nothing then explain why we evolved that particular sense.

i learnt plenty on my course! i learnt that the body naturally is weak! the reason *text deleted* body gets tired during running is because it wants to stop and rest!u dont need to rest tho! wen *text deleted* body is tired u cud quite easily carry on! u will only really NEED to rest once your heart rate has hit a dangerous amount of beats per minute! this will be anywhere from 200+ beats! here is the collapse and need medical attention stage! overload is after 180 beats per minute! the only way you could possibly get to this stage is if you did like 30 mins sprinting!

you feel pain all the time! u just dont realise! u feel pain when sum1 nips you! u feel pain wen u put *text deleted* hands under hot water! u feel pain hundreds of times throughout the day but choose to ignore it! so explain to me whats wrong wen u feel pain while *text deleted* hand is under hot water! NOTHING! so when u are tired and have lactic acid that is motivation enough for me to push harder!

W/\Nnabe

Reaction score
if you cant handle a little bit of pain do you honestly see yourself passing RT? do you honestly see yourself fighting in afghanistan? do you honestly see yourself having a career in the armed forces? i dont think so!

i think u lot need a bit of will power and a pair of balls!

i do 5 days running a week and 6 days weight lifting! *text deleted* never been 'over trained' *text deleted* never been too tired to get up in the morning, *text deleted* never had shin splints, hair line fractures or any stress fractures!

i think u people read a little too much 'health and safety' *text deleted**text deleted* on the internet and now are too scared to truely push *text deleted* body to its limits!

tiredness is nothing! exhaustion is nothing! you can always recover after your training!

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
And if you get stress fractures do you see yourself getting through RT?

You have a weird attitude, i'll let one of the more creative members define what it is.

And yes you can overtrain, muscles being in pain is a sign of it, not *text deleted* I R NOW BUFF AND GETTING STRONGERER, day after pain IS a sign of "yea thats not right", argue that if you like but im going to listen to a physiotherapis who's ex-cardiff rugby over yourself.

Lolz, health and safety stuff? No, we just know how to train sensibly without having to OMGPUSHMYSELFTOTHELIMIT. Really doesnt need such training.

"so explain to me whats wrong wen u feel pain while *text deleted* hand is under hot water! NOTHING! so when u are tired and have lactic acid that is motivation enough for me to push harder!"

If that made sense, i'd call you an idiot. As your examples are terrible, you don't get pain till the water is hitting a point that it's going TO *text deleted**text deleted*ING BURN YOU, some people get discomfort from warm water granted. But real pain is burning water. So that fails.

And trust me, after cutting most of my thumb to shreads, I know what *text deleted**text deleted*ing pain is. And it doesnt happen in workouts unless you pull *text deleted**text deleted*. Lactic acid isnt pain.. its pissing discomfort.

New Threads