Back into the swing of things

The Creature of the Night

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

Originally applied to join in 2017. Passed my recruit test, eye test and security clearance. New job and all that forced me to put my application on the back burner. Now, at the 'old' age of 30 and 5 months, I've reapplied.

Am I going to have to go through the application/recurit test all over again? Also, at 30, what are my chances? I do need to work on my fitness and lost some weight (BMI is currently a disgusting 34!!)

Best wishes,
The Creature of The Night

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

Originally applied to join in 2017. Passed my recruit test, eye test and security clearance. New job and all that forced me to put my application on the back burner. Now, at the 'old' age of 30 and 5 months, I've reapplied.

Am I going to have to go through the application/recurit test all over again? Also, at 30, what are my chances? I do need to work on my fitness and lost some weight (BMI is currently a disgusting 34!!)

Best wishes,
The Creature of The Night
Hey mate

You will have to start everything again as everything would have expired and the recruit test only lasts 3 years from when you did it.
I’m 31 in 2 months and my bmi was 33.4 in March and it’s now currently 29.
It goes down to how much you want it really.
If you plan your weeks workout in advance and stick to it not only will you get fitter but your weight will fly off at the same time.

Best thing you can do is just test everything to see where your at physically.

Press/sit/pull-ups.

If you can only do 5 pressups then just do that amount every other day same with the situps.
I’ll be surprised if you can even do a pullup at that weight so if you can’t get resistance bands and start from the most assistance doing say 3x 1 or 2x 2 every other day also until you get used to it but with time and weight loss those exercises will become a bit easier for you that I can guarantee.

How far you can run distance wise until you’re really struggling and need to stop.

In my case i just started doing 400m laps but would have 2min rest after each one and just kept a steady pace wasn’t about the time was just getting used to running and you like myself carrying all that extra weight isn’t smart to go out and run a long distance as you’re asking for trouble and will set you back along way if you injure yourself so just be smart with it.

Example.

week 1 - (Monday)-4x 400m- (Wednesday) -2x 400m- (Friday) -4x 400m -(rest 2min 400m)

Then inbetween the days so Tuesday and Thursdays you could do bodyweight exercises or lay out a rest day on one of those days it’s down to you.

I would say see where you’re at tho you have to start from scratch and with your extra weight see where you’re at then you can lay out a plan for it .

`I started at 16.2 at the end of March I’m only 5 foot 9 and I started with 10x 400m just casual jogs with 2min rest after each but I increased it every week as I kept improving as the weight was coming off so made a massive difference.
I went from doing 3x 5 pressups to 3x 20
I still have issues with pullups as I still need to lose around 1 stone but I literally couldn’t hold on the pull up bar for more than 5 seconds without my forearms just giving in and couldn’t pull myself up more than a few inches no matter how much I tried.
I started using resistance bands and doing dead hangs and in time everything became so much easier was doing 10x 60sec dead hangs and the resistance bands have made a massive difference I did my 1st pull up last week wasn’t planning on attempting it but just told myself I could do it and the hard work just showed me it was possible!

I now weigh 14 stone and ran my first 3 mile today so if you really want this you will stick to the workouts and you will work your way up it won’t take to much time if your consistent and start don’t give up when it becomes hard.

Post regular on “your last workout‘ on what you did and see what others are doing aswell and it will motivate you to keep on improving.

Good luck

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you, mate,

Got around three and a half stone but, I am determined!
Application is in so now waiting
You will get there just stick with it and you go wrong.
Surprised they will accept your application if your bmi is that high!

You going for the reserves again or regulars this time? Remember sein you post a but few years ago

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there, mate,

Will be Reserves I'll be going for.

Would've loved to have gone regular and made a career out of it but, got a wife-to-be and a good job. So reserves it is

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you, mate.

From to-morrow, I am going to see how many push-ups I can do; as well as how far I can run (though, I am not expecting miracles!). Currently 6ft and weigh around 18st 10ibs. So, got a lot of work to do. Aiming to get this three and a half stone off by around January 2021-ish or so

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you, mate.

From to-morrow, I am going to see how many push-ups I can do; as well as how far I can run (though, I am not expecting miracles!). Currently 6ft and weigh around 18st 10ibs. So, got a lot of work to do. Aiming to get this three and a half stone off by around January 2021-ish or so
That’s the way mate at least you know.
Just take the run light and easy you start to feel any niggles or really struggling just stop it’s just about getting a gauge of where your at that’s all.
I know they say you must lose no more than 2lbs a week and stuff etc but if you start putting in the effort now and sticking to a fitness routine aswell as a diet and lay off the junk food you won’t need nowhere near that amount of time!
Don’t force it tho create a plan and just go from there

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you, mate.
I'll keep people updated on how I'm getting on.

Was making solid process, but new job came along

Chelonian

Reaction score
@The Creature of the Night Just to add to the comment by @Mattys conventional thinking suggests that a body weight loss of 1 kg per week is sustainable for a reducing diet.
Portion control and calorie deficit are key. Weighing oneself once every two weeks works for many. Body weight naturally fluctuates day-to-day so a two week weighing schedule is more likely to reveal motivating results.

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you @Chelonian.

My diet had included two cans of Coca-Cola a day, pork pie and a bacon sandwich in the morning; as well as an abundance of god-awful sugary stuff (deep fried cream eggs, anyone?)

As of now, the've all been cut out; and going to start a slow and steady build-up to the fitness required to be an RMR. This is my last chance at my age for it; so going to work hard for it.

Quenners

Reaction score
To be honest mate if you're cutting all that stuff out of your diet you'll hopefully see some quick initial changes after a few weeks! As the guys have said above consistency is key, and don't underestimate the power of a rest day or two in your plan. I'm not too far behind you with the age, and my body thanks me massively after a rest day.
What's your local RMR det?

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there, @Quenners ,

My local Det's Cardiff; so not too far away.

Going out on a run this afternoon to gauge fitness (after work!); and will post here for people to see where I am at