back problems

rhodri

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i havent been training for about 2 months because of my back i have been to see a physio and he has given me some exercises todo but have not helped a great deal

the best way to describe it is when doing pres ups it feels the the top of my back is pushing down on the bottem and then lock both trying to slide over each over at the lower back. i know sounds a bit odd but is stopping me doing press ups and when i go out for a run either few miles or just ten mins my back aches and becomes very stiff starting at the lower middle and then working its way up to the top of the back and spreading accross the shoulders

anyone got any help as its really frustrating all i want to do is bang on with training

thanks

chris1988

Reaction score
alright rhodri, i use to have exactly the same thing mate, although sound extreemly stupid but it was my matress that was making my back ache and hurt!!

flip your matress over a few times a week, and you notice, well i did, your pain not so painfull anymore.

if its not this try swimming atleast 3-4 times a week nice and easy!!

give me a PM tell me if this helps!

ben25

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
sounds like u just need to work your core more, if it feels like your lower back is snapping then u will really have to work the lower back for strength and then work the abbs to counter it

Ben

rhodri

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
just recieved my xrays back and they have stated nothing at all is wrong, i have flipped my matress over last night so ill see how that goes and any tips of exercises to improve my core strength

thanks guys

ben25

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
use static positions like the plank and bridge

Ben

rhodri

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
use static positions like the plank and bridge

Ben

cheers mr preece will take a look at those sites
sorry for my lack of knowledge to but positions like plank and bridge?

ive tried holding the press up position but this just causes pain so im going back to see the doc on friday

thanks any help is great guys cheers

chris83

Reaction score
i'm new to the site so dont want to sound arrogant here but. wouldnt listening to your physio and sticking with the exerciese work better than asking a group of amateurs?
a friend of mine is a physiothereapist and she's always complaining that patients give up on the exercises too early and try to solve the problem themselves. personally i reckon you should stick with the exercises and approach your phyiostherapist with your concerns

chris1988

Reaction score
chris83, as we all know we are not qualified physiotherapists or doctors, we are just giving advice that has helped us. it doesnt have to be taken up or even considered that is up to the individual. but i have never sed DONT GO SEE A PHYSIO OR A DOCTOR.

sorry for this, im not having a go atall chris83 but this is a forum, and rhodri has asked for any solutions so we gave them him.

sorry for this lads and chris83 didnt mean to label but people ask and they get!

ben25

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i'm new to the site so dont want to sound arrogant here but. wouldnt listening to your physio and sticking with the exerciese work better than asking a group of amateurs?

and you are ??

amateur , far from it mate

*text deleted**text deleted*

chris83

Reaction score
and you are ??
amateur , far from it mate
i didnt claim to be which is the only advice i offerred was to speak to a professional.
i take it then you are a qualified professional?
sorry for this, im not having a go atall chris83 but this is a forum, and rhodri has asked for any solutions so we gave them him.
no, i get that mate, and i wasnt meaning, as i said to sound arrogant BUT- as i said my point was merely seek advice of this nature from a professional esp as it's bad enough to have been referred to a physio in the first place.
eg if you get meds from a doctor and they dont work straight away you dont start asking on forums for alternatives without seeking professional advice aswell, the same applies here, get ideas from here sure, but still you *text deleted* speak to the physio again it could be the exercises need changing or there is a deeper problem.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Im also having issues with a back problem. I've nearly fixed it now and am keen to get back in the gym.

Firstly, you need to see a doctor and or a physio with problems like this.

Afterwhich, I've found the following website very useful:

Back Pain - Causes, Treatment, Prevention, Relief

I also use

Knee Pain Causes, Treatment, Prevention and Relief. for knee issues.

Cheers

Steve
Please note, my advice too was to firstly see your Doctor and or physio. Stick with what they tell you to do and work with them to resolve the issue.

The websites I pointed you towards are informative and useful, but only as a source of information.

Cheers

Steve

rhodri

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
thanks for the input guys got an appointment tomorow morning with the doc and going to discuss and see what he thinks going forward

have to keep positive and be banging out the press ups soon enough