Back to Fighting Fit

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by Eafy, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Eafy

Eafy New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Morning all.

I've just been off for the past 4 weeks due to shin splints (and having all wisdom teeth removed) and was wondering how I can get back to fighting fitness levels without recurring injury.

If anyone has got any advice, it would be much appreciated.

Just for info, I'm at the medical stage - filling in my paperwork at the moment - eye test passed.

Cheers.

2. Ballista

Ballista Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Take it easy. Cycle, swim and walk. Keep your mileage low and start slow when you start running again; 1-2 miles at a time at a moderate to slow pace.

Best of luck and keep up posted.

3. Eafy

Eafy New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Thanks for the advice.

Planning on going back to my old routine, but going easy:

Monday - Elliptical 3-miler in required times + RMFA Circuit
    Tuesday - Easy 5-miler
    Wednesday - Elliptical 3-miler in required times + RMFA Circuit
    Thursday - Easy 5-miler
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - 10-mile Weighted Walk
    Sunday - Rest

Is this too much after a 4-week break? I was doing a moderate speed 10k on Thursday and a 5k best effort on Tuesday, but feel this would be too strenuous at the moment.

4. Teapot

Teapot Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    After a month off there is no such thing as an easy 5 miler! After a month off you should start running again at around half of your weekly mileage that you were running pre injury. However with your injury being shin splints and that being a too much too soon, I'd say you were doing too much to begin with.

I know you're at the medical stage but having shin splints once means you can get it again if you don't train smart. You're going to have to seriously build your distance slowly. Otherwise you'll end up in a vicious circle of fighting injuries and running too much.

Whatever your weekly distance was before you got injured, half it. Run that distance and if you're feeling fine after week one, increase the weekly distance by 10% for week two. Again if you felt fine increase it again by 10%. But only increase if you ran relatively pain free, carrying a knock is fine but shin pain isn't fine. If you have to repeat a week's distance then do it.

Running fitness can only be built slowly and I know it's poor timing for you but better to delay things than be crippled and fighting easily preventable injuries for years.

5. Eafy

Eafy New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Balls...That's not what I wanted to hear haha, but thanks for the touch of reality! Will change my workout to reflect this.

With regards to speed work, is there anything I can do to aid my BFT before I get back to where I was previously...?

6. Teapot

Teapot Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Again I'd say give yourself a few weeks back running to ensure the shin splints are definitely gone before you start speed work. Your first worry is going to be just making sure you can run again.

But after two or three weeks if you're feeling good and increasing your mileage by no more than 10% a week then hill sprints will help you build the endurance in your legs to allow you to keep a high pace through the 4.8km of the BFT. Just keep in mind that sprints, especially on flat ground are very high impact and give you an increased chance of injury. So only sprint when you're confident your legs can take it. And hill sprints are tougher for you but because of the lower impact and angle of your foot it's also a decreased risk of injury so that's a bonus at least!

Don't worry about your recovery time mate, it's a pain in the hoop but in a few weeks you'll be back to where you were and if you build up correctly you'll be stronger than you were. Remember to stretch your calves diligently too to try and ensure you don't get shin splints again.

7. john lewis

john lewis Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Have a look at bootras rowing workouts whilst your legs need rest

8. Eafy

Eafy New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Wow, that looks intense!

May have to swap out my Wednesday routine for @Bootra's Circuit 1 - I'll give it a go tonight!

Struggled through a 5k yesterday, running laps around my local field. Managed a time of 26 minutes and felt like I was dying - very frustrating after managing to hit a 22 minute PB before my four weeks off!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Eafy

Eafy New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Gave Bootra's Circuit 1 a go earlier this evening - only just managed to make 5 Rounds before I was seeing stars!

Absolutely loved it!

Looking forward to seeing how I progress with it.

10. john lewis

john lewis Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Good effort mate

11. Fibonarchie

Fibonarchie Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    If it was shin splits, absolutely DO NOT do weighted runs. I don’t want to be a training grinch but that’s literally the worst possible thing to do with regards shin splints. Sorry! Just take it slow and use bike/rower/cross trainer etc to reduce impact as you build back into it. Best’o’luck.