Back up Plan.

Ash

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Now i've been trying to think about what my plans are if i don't make it in to the marines at first attempt. Didn't want to really think about it too much because i completely intend to pass with every intention on my first attempt, however the reality is still there that i might not.

Therefore i was thinking of joining the navy for a year or so, whatever it takes like until i felt i had a better chance of passing RT.. But is this a possible solution?

Will i be able to get a straight transfer from the navy to the marines or not? ..and if so in how much notice?

This is probably one for ninja to be honest, have been researching on the net but don't seem to be able to find much.

Cheers

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
On the royal marines website videos they interview a guy that left the navy for the marines but I don't know about the instant transfer, i'm sure the security wont be nessecery but ofcourse you'll have to take the interview PRMC and fitness test but you'll probably have a valid medical from the navy. Thing is tho if you want to be a marine... join the marines.

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
you will have to find out the minimum time you have to stay with the Navy. It may be more than a couple of years.

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
There was some lad in our troop who had been in the navy since he was 16, he was about 23/24 at the time and was on a high paypand, while we were taking home about 700 a month, I'm pretty sure he stayed on his usual pay while in training.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Heres a tip:

I could pass navy fitness standards before i started training.

Going to the navy wont help you prepare your fitness for RT, they are a league apart in fitness standards. Might help you develop mental attitude but you wont be allowed to stay there for a year and then leave more than likely. (unless you leave within 6 months after leaving training).

In 3 months you can build up the required fitness for RM, it isnt hard if you stick to it.

christomo

Reaction score
not to sure, havnt really thought about it, although i should of

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
my back up plan is become an officer in the RA then hopefully get into 29 commando and still do commando course

What's the RA?

I'd probably be tempted to go to uni. I'll be about 20-21. More mature than I am now. Knuckle down, get my work done with plenty of time to spare (anyone else notice that their mates that go to uni seem to always end up in a state, 'I've got 23 essays to write this weekend'?), get involved in lots of sport and get some leadership experience under my belt. All the while training to get hugely fit.

Then I'd try for Sandhurst, or even give POC a bash if the reason I don't get in/through RT isn't because of being medically unfit. Other than that, I'd seriously look at the Navy.

Edit - Royal Artillery. Ignore my question.

a flying dodo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It all depends. I remember another thread where they dont like it, especialy if your training costs a bundle. They have invested in you and they want their moneys worth back.

renny

Reaction score
i was in the RA i found it hard to chose what job i wanted never mind 29 .*text deleted* had to leave over trying to change units and am starting all over again .people dont like u changing unit it shows lack of loyalty to your unit .or so i was told

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
if i dont get in i would join the army infantry. i would either try the paras or the argyll and sutherland highlanders .:fight:

renny

Reaction score
if your applying to the marines you shuldnt have a back up plan .marines is the marines .infantry is infantry .

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
if your applying to the marines you shuldnt have a back up plan .marines is the marines .infantry is infantry .

*text deleted* being naive if u think that u wont be injured , because its out of *text deleted* control and could potentialy stop u being a marine - then what ? it is wise to be prepared

renny

Reaction score
im not been naive .i train for martial arts compatitions regulary.many times i dont get to fight *text deleted* i get injured a week before or even 2 days before .if it happns then i go from there but everything into thinking im *text deleted* win and nothing will go wrong .pma.or maybe i am naive but thats how i get threw things

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
yea but injury in RT is different. its not something that u can help and in the chance it does happen it is better to be prepered. also it gives u peace of mind knowing *text deleted* not completely *text deleted*ed if *text deleted* injured or fail allowing u to concentrate fully on passing RT. i know where *text deleted* coming from tho.