Back-up plan

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
For the guys who are applying as an Officer-what would you do if the worst happened and you weren't selected for YO training? Would you join as an other rank? Go to Sandhurst then attempt the All Arms Commando Course? Or would you do something completely different? Do you feel Marines other rank is a viable option for graduates?

Thanks

Reaction score
If it was me... I would have gone to Sandhurst. I have graduate loans that need paying back and I can't really do that on a Marine's salary. That's just the way I would do it.

TM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Aiming for the September 2010 batch, but if that doesn't work out then i'll apply to Sandhurst at the same time as going for 2011 Officer batch.

Rob 1984

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I thought the standards for Army officers would be the same as Marine officers therefore if you were not selected for YO training then why would you be accepted into Sandhurst?

TM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
for one, the impression i've got is that the standards aren't the same since the intake numbers are very different

S

Sotiris

I would not have thought that the standards were at all similar.

My backup is a choice between Sandhurst and the Greek Officer's Academy. I applied to Sandhurst before the Marines about 2 years ago but wasn't resident in the UK long enough. They told me to wait, a blessing in disguise really. I did some more research and discovered the Marines.

I do think that entering as Other Rank is a viable option for graduates. Why not?

Echus

Reaction score
If I don't make it into the RM I will attempt to transfer to the Royal Navy as a Marine Engineering Officer (my current role in New Zealand). If that doesn't work I will join the NZ Army and aim for the NZSAS.

But then... the earliest I can join is 2011 more likely 2012 so I have a lot of time to prep!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
A few years back there were over 200 RM Officer applicants who passed both POC & AIB, but only 55 were selected to start training that following year.

A fair few elected to join the RMs as Other Rank when given the option. In those days a POC pass was considered a valid PRMC pass but today the individual would have to undergo a PRMC even if they passed POC as it has been decided that POC assesses Officer qualities which differ from Other Rank qualities assessed at PRMC.

In a similar vein now that graduate Officers start on £28,013, whereas previously pay was also governed by age, Other Rank graduates start on £13,013. Logically, although we still get graduates joining as Other Ranks, many will investigate other trade Officer graduate options for financial reasons.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I think you could still go in as an Other Rank. I will roughly end up with around 18 - 22k debt once I've finished uni, and wouldn't need to pay this until I earn 15k+, and there's plenty of time to pay student debts off...

MrBannister

Reaction score
If i dont make officer, i will go rating.

Lifes about doing what you want, not being led by money, im at uni and will be in about 18k - when i leave....

Plenty of time to pay that back :)

99% lads

Distant.RM.Cooper

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I would like to get into the RMC's then if succesful in PRMC and RT and pass i will, Get my GD done and over with and then try for SC if i dont succeed in that i would like to specialize as a Chef or ML. Thought i would insert my input. *text deleted*

Reaction score
It has got nothing to do with money, it's about achieving your maximum level of potential. If depends on whether you need a mental and physical challenge or just a physical one.
The standards for the Army are no where near the same. They do not have the POC for starters and Sandhurst trains everyone from Logisitics Officers to Infantry Officers. YO Training is solely infantry officer training allowing the RMYO batch to be pushed harder and develop a higher standard of soldiering and leadership.

gerrard86

Reaction score
For the guys who are applying as an Officer-what would you do if the worst happened and you weren't selected for YO training? Would you join as an other rank? Go to Sandhurst then attempt the All Arms Commando Course? Or would you do something completely different? Do you feel Marines other rank is a viable option for graduates?

Thanks

Well in reply to your point, I am in that exact situation and 22 just graduated....

I passed POC and AIB with a good score but just missed out on the 50 places available for YO training. When you receive your letter regreting to inform you that you have been placed as a reserve for the YO batch, I can tell you that it is a very frustrating moment.

I considered at first like you said to join as another rank but was encouraged not to by my recruiting officer. Also after speaking to the marine's on my POC and AIB who were aiming for corps-commision about their experiences I made the big decision to re-apply for YO entry 09. It is just one year in your life, in the grand scheme of things that is a short period of time and in the long run I am now in no doubt that I would have made a mistake to enter basic training.

Duffy you summed up my decisions:
1. I have re-applied for YO entry 09, using this year to improve my AIB score.
2. I have applied to sandhurst because you never know what could happen at POC any type of injury or maybe you just wrap...
3. I have also applied for something completely different- a PE teacher.

Believe this covers all my options eg. any injury, mistake and also you get more interview/selection practice (I have a Para POC also), which is all good experience.

In answer to your question "Do you feel Marines other rank is a viable option for graduates?"
I think it depends completely on the individual but it was not a viable option for me!