1. Leweeeeeg

Leweeeeeg New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Okay so I was squatting at the gym a couple of weeks ago and failed a rep and went down, I didn't think anything of it , so got up and continued, after doing this I did a bleep test and my left knee began to hurt but I powered through, the next day it was agony and for the following days. After a week it began to recover and I started light runs again, however yesterday I did a very strenuous hike up Scaffell pike and coming back down my knee was killing, today I am finding it very difficult to bend and starighten but I can still walk on it. Any ideas what might be wrong with it and if I should. See the GP as I don't want anything to hold my application up , I am due to do my PJFT soon . In addition to this I've had to take the day off work and my manager says I need a sick not from the doctor so what do I. Say to the Dr ??

2. Hyperhippo

Hyperhippo Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Difficult one because generally advice on here would say don't go to the doctors or hospital because it'll be on your medical records and youll more than likely have to go through a TMU stage. BUT your health and general wellbeing is your priority here. If you can afford it maybe go and see a physiotherapist.

My advice would be to take 4 - 6 weeks off of running completely, and after that slowly start to run again. If it's still bad see doctor/physio etc. If it's good then build up the running again gradually and look at encorporating a "prehab" session into your routine (YouTube/google it).

I'm not going to give a diagnosis or anything but I've been through knee injury and it will heal it just takes time and patience, don't force anything too soon if it doesn't feel right, keep your head in the game and use the time to work on any weaknesses you have in your phys.

Good luck and keep us updated :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Rob20

Rob20 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Perhaps a sports physio or chiropractor could help without putting anything on your medical records.

4. Mattys

Mattys New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Your in a catch 22 pretty much to be fair as if you leave it and don't get it checked you don't know the damage and if you do get it checked it will be on your medical history.

As others have pointed out your health is more of your priority you could have just Jared your knee or you could have ligament damage which will not heal in 4/6 weeks and training even lightly on a joint that supports a big portion of your body weight would only make it worse.

When you say you have your pjft soon does this mean you've had your face to face medical?

If you have had your medical I'm pretty sure you can't defer the pjft outside 2 weeks and if you did ask this there going to ask what's the reason and with you being injured they will ask why you didn't disclose this at the medical and I expect will tmu to get it checked out which will put you back some time.

5. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I'd get to a physio ASAP, a doctor will probably just guess what it is, tell you not to run/squat etc etc for the next 4-6 weeks and if not fine by then refer you to a physio so you may as well bite the bullet and pay for one yourself and get an appointment within a week. It sounds a bit like tendonitis which I've been struggling with for ages, although mine came on gradually and not by a sudden tear or something. I struggled with squatting for the first few months and going up and down stairs seemed to set it off as well. Possibly could have torn or damaged part of the tendon but I'm by no means an expert and could be entirely different. But yeah, definitely get yourself to a decent physiotherapist asap.

6. RayDonovan

RayDonovan New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Go see a physio mate, keep any of that stuff away from your records.

In regards to your boss wanting a sick note, you don't have to give one. They're not legally required a sick note until you take more than 7 days off. If you don't think you're able to work then you can't work, simple as that until you start taking the piss..

7. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

My bold. I'm not going to offer comments on diagnosis and treatment because I'm not qualified to do so but even my old mum would tell you that you haven't rested enough.

On the topic of statutory notification requirements for your work, take a look at this link and consider discussing with your manager:

https://www.gov.uk/taking-sick-leave

Best of luck

• Like Like x 1
  8. Leweeeeeg

Leweeeeeg New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I rested up the last couple days and applied ice to reduce the swelling , I can move the leg fully now and do a squat but I can still feel a slight pain so obviously the rest is helping. I have passed the face to face medical and that was a couple of months ago, my PJFT is waiting to be booked hopefully for end of next week so my leg will be fine by then fingers crossed

9. Mattys

Mattys New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet

I thought you have to take your pjft within 14 days of passing the face to face medical?

10. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Best of luck with your recovery mate, but I still think you should see a physio, if only for piece of mind. I am no doctor at all and not qualified to give an opinion, particularly over the internet, but the restriction in movement at the knee joint and previous pain while straightening the leg does not sound like ITBS or patellofemoral pain, which are the most common knee training injuries seen with runners and with those training for the military.

11. Leweeeeeg

Leweeeeeg New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Yeah so did I,but I passed the medical back in April and was due to do my PJFT at an acquaint day but when I got to the acquaint day the rules had changed and everyone now has to do iron a treadmill and no longer can you use the return time on the acquaint day. Only issue was I then went on a 2 week holiday and had bad sickness when I returned so I was literally our the game a month, that's why there been such a delay in things for myself, so the knee problem now is winding me up more as I just want it done! Fed up of waiting mate

12. Mattys

Mattys New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet

Sorry I'm a bit confused what you mean by.

"Aquatint day the rules have changed and everyone has to iron a treadmill and no longer can you use the return time on the aquatint day". Not sure what that means exactly *text deleted*

Yea must be frustrating not really much you can to be honest tho dude as if you start training properly again will only make it worse.

• Like Like x 1
  13. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I agree. I understand it must be very frustrating for the OP but please don't push yourself on an injury which may heal promptly and quickly if given adequate rest (and more importantly proper diagnosis, there are lots of things which can happen at knees, all requiring different treatment). The fact that there was swelling and difficulty moving the joint doesn't point to some of the common knee injuries (like it band syndrome or patellafemoral pain) which you are able to run through. If the pjft is passed and you are given a PRMC date and the knee flares up again, it would just be even more frustrating .

PLEASE GO AND SEE A PHYSIO!
    Best of luck with your recovery