Bad lower back pain.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Recently with my increase in fitness training, I have begun to experience pretty bad pains in my lower back. The only time I have ever experienced this is when carrying very heavy loads in my bergen over dartmoor and after a few hours I get the pain.

However now it kicks in after about half a mile jogging and is fairly bad. Anyone know why this is? and is it likely to be a developing problem?

Cheers guys.

Lee

Reaction score
u shouldnt really need to be running with weight yet.

theres not much u can to for sore backs. just rest, and dont run with weight.

Windy_Chris

Reaction score
i'd get it checked if i was you buddy, dont mess with backs they're the devil if they go big style. could jus be muscular but it's better to be safe than sorry if it's jus sore then rest like Lee says but if it's proper pain rest and physio.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Back

This sounds like you need to review the cushioning on your footwear when jogging, if you have the wrong foot wear with poor cushioning you will get lower back issues.

It also sounds like you need to strengthen your lower back, so do lower back exercises everyday.

One of the best ones, is the superman exercise. i.e. get down on all fours and raise your right arm straight out infront of you and raise your left leg and push it back straight behind you. Hold for 10 sedcond and the do the opposite. i.e. push your right leg out and your left arm and hold for 10 seconds. Do the two or three times every day.

Additionally: Its is always worth getting the doc to have a look too. Just to be sure mate.

Cheers

Steve

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
hmmm

Cheers guys, some really good advice.

I have got new trainers on their way as mine were/are astro turf ones and basically dont have padding just a really hard sole. But aren't I likely to still get the pain when running in boots?

The weight is whilst hiking/yomping, not running. I do a lot of dartmoor walks with a mate, 15 - 20 miles.

As for the doc/physio, it only lasts while Im running then its fine 10 mins after the run and absolutely no probs till my next run.

Will try those exercises (when no-ones looking!)

rhodri

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
since ive been in a new job and sitting down al day i get lower back pains after about half a mile to, really anoying and very very frustrating as i cant keep up with my training , would swimming help strengthen my back muscle and also any other weights in the gym or exercises i could do ?

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
1. Lower back pains can be reduced by building core strength, simple things such as sit ups and cunches which certainly help.

2. Before going for a run lay on the floor on your back for about 5 minutes, don't go to sleep just lay on your back. When you sit on a chair you spine compresses a bit and when you run it basically causes a bit of stress around the back area. Lying on the floor will strech it back out.

3. Do this exercise HERE it's called the prone cobra, it helps with posture and a bit of core.

4. When you run lean forward slightly, relax your shoulders and breath deeply in through your mouth and out through your mouth, hold your arms at a 45 degree angle and don't clench your fists (imagine holding a baton in each hand), all this helps to relax and is the best posture for running and preserving energy!

5. Where do you land on your foot? If you run on your heel it might cause pain from shin to knees and to your back, it's more advisable to land midfoot and roll forward!

Hope some of this helps.

(Edit: Made it neater and added #5)

rhodri

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
1. Lower back pains can be reduced by building core strength, simple things such as sit ups and cunches which certainly help.

2. Before going for a run lay on the floor on your back for about 5 minutes, don't go to sleep just lay on your back. When you sit on a chair you spine compresses a bit and when you run it basically causes a bit of stress around the back area. Lying on the floor will strech it back out.

3. Do this exercise HERE it's called the prone cobra, it helps with posture and a bit of core.

4. When you run lean forward slightly, relax your shoulders and breath deeply in through your mouth and out through your mouth, hold your arms at a 45 degree angle and don't clench your fists (imagine holding a baton in each hand), all this helps to relax and is the best posture for running and preserving energy!

5. Where do you land on your foot? If you run on your heel it might cause pain from shin to knees and to your back, it's more advisable to land midfoot and roll forward!

Hope some of this helps.

(Edit: Made it neater and added #5)

cheers ash will try these,

also will swimming help?

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i had a bit of lower back pain last week. as a lot of my running is conducted up steep hills i always used to lean forward but i was told that when going up hills, even walking, keep your back as strait as possible. and also make sure the bottom of your burgan doesn't have hard things at the bottom, put a towel or something at the bottom.

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Mate, i have exactly the same problem, i had it when i was about 9 years old, then it went and know im training for the marines its come back and it stops me from running sometimes it gets so bad.

Try getting on your knees, put your hands flat on the floor in front of you, and slide them forward with you head facing down and it should stretch your back muscles and do it every day, it does help but it doesn't it go away.

karatydude123

Reaction score
i 2 have developed this pain and thinking about joining the marines but i dunno how *text deleted* got it it seems 2 happen when sitting down but when i run its fine if any 1 cauld pm me what i can do 2 help it thanx ^.^:blink1:

webrey227

Reaction score
i 2 have developed this pain and thinking about joining the marines but i dunno how *text deleted* got it it seems 2 happen when sitting down but when i run its fine if any 1 cauld pm me what i can do 2 help it *text deleted**text deleted** ^.^:blink1:

You probably to see a doctor to check-it up or you can go with the chiropractor Eastleigh to relieve the pain. I had also tried it and it is efficient to disappear the pain that I got.

DPS

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
You probably to see a doctor to check-it up or you can go with the chiropractor Eastleigh to relieve the pain. I had also tried it and it is efficient to disappear the pain that I got.

Read the date in the top left corner of the posts :rolleyes:

I'd hope they've got it sorted by now but well done on your first post, nice and helpful.

Red Bull

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I was thinking that haha. 3 year old thread?

Good to see Sam and the OP made it out as royals though ;)

Edit: it's his first post? Just here to sell his service. :thefinger:

New Threads