BASELINE Fitness Goals Pre-Basic Training.

Koninklik

Reaction score
Hi, I'm around 6 Months out from starting basic training and I have written a chart of my goals before training. Have a look and see what you think. Are they too easy, am I missing some things? Any advice will be appreciated.
Exersize- Goal
Pullups - 16 (To bleep)
Pushups - 60 (To bleep)
Situps - 85 (To bleep)
VPJFT - 5 Rounds
Bleep test - 15.5
5Km - 22.00
10Km - 48.30
2.4 - 8.00

Note: This is not my current ability, however its what I'm working towards.
Thanks for your time.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
What you’re aiming for is to max out the tests. Which is what you should be aiming for anyway. A common mistake which lads look for is the minimum pass mark. You should never look to scrape a pass but achieve as high as possible. Which is good. What are your current stats?

Koninklik

Reaction score
Current Stats are as Follows:
Pullups - 10
Push-ups - 60
Situps - 40
VPJFT - 3
Bleep test - 10.0
5Km - 24.26
10k - 59.00
2.4 - 10.14

mrar32

Reaction score
If you're be able to smash out a 8 min 1.5 rtn then you should be able to run a sub 20 min 5k. But anyway, running times are abstract and i wouldn't worry too much about meeting a specific 10k time for example. I'd maybe focus more on being able to smash out a best effort 5k after you've done a hill sprints and heavy pull ups/squat session. Something that will really test your muscle endurance and stamina. I imagine the lads that have been through training didn't give two shits about their 10k time when their legs and arms are burning from lactic acid in a gym circuit. One thing I've learned whilst training for RT is that you need to beast yourself sometimes (not all of the time). You'll get too comfortable otherwise. Don't know if trained ranks would agree with this?

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Good goals and also working towards maxing out here. Just to note that a 15.5 bleep test is in no way comparable to those run times.

If you're running a 08:30 BFT you'll most likely be running about a 19:00 5k, and just over a Lvl 12 bleep test.

For reference my current scores 5k this morning 19:35, BFT last week 08:40, bleep test 2 months ago 11.6 (though this was on army assessment before I got med appeal passed for RM and they pulled us off at 11.6, I was still mega comfortable and reckon I had above 12 in me). On that subject the army directly correlate an 08:15 2km Run to 11.6 bleep test when sports scientists calculated the equivalents.

B11

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi, I'm around 6 Months out from starting basic training and I have written a chart of my goals before training. Have a look and see what you think. Are they too easy, am I missing some things? Any advice will be appreciated.
Exersize- Goal
Pullups - 16 (To bleep)
Pushups - 60 (To bleep)
Situps - 85 (To bleep)
VPJFT - 5 Rounds
Bleep test - 15.5
5Km - 22.00
10Km - 48.30
2.4 - 8.00

Note: This is not my current ability, however its what I'm working towards.
Thanks for your time.
Nothing wrong with those targets, bleep test is fairly high I’d say, also I probably only did 4-5 10ks before I joined, I focused more on the shorter distances.

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
15.5 bleep test!? Are you joining the Royal Marines or the team GB track team?

Good targets mate but remember to keep them all realistic and achievable.

Sprint0205

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
15.5 bleep test!? Are you joining the Royal Marines or the team GB track team?

Good targets mate but remember to keep them all realistic and achievable.
Isn't 15.5 the maximum score on the bleep test? Can only dream of being that fit

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I have no idea mate I only know that some of the most insanely fit people I know in the corps can't get past 14. 15.5 is an outrageous target. Unrealistic if you're currently at 10.

Aurelias

Reaction score
Isn't 15.5 the maximum score on the bleep test?
It goes all the way up to Level 22 on the PRMC Bleep Test Audio. Apparently, Beckham completed it whilst at United, but the validity is questionable. According to TopEndSports, the highest recorded result is 17.1, which is still an insane score.

Sprint0205

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It goes all the way up to Level 22 on the PRMC Bleep Test Audio. Apparently, Beckham completed it whilst at United, but the validity is questionable. According to TopEndSports, the highest recorded result is 17.1, which is still an insane score.
I refuse to believe that anyone can get 22 on a bleep test. I have heard about a rugby player getting to 17 as you say, very impressive

Koninklik

Reaction score
Thanks for all the reply's and guidance on the bleep text. Will shuffle things around. But all in all very insightful.

Tetley

Reaction score
Don't forget to swim. There is a pass / fail swim test on day 3 of ROP. Plenty of people are being caught out by it.

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Don't forget to swim. There is a pass / fail swim test on day 3 of ROP. Plenty of people are being caught out by it.

Pools reopen 12 April so some good news on that front for anyone starting after this date.