Battle Honour

Jennings92

Reaction score
Im completing a questionaire which i ha to take to my interview with me, and one of the questions says, "What was the most recent mojour battle hounour for the Corps?"
Anyone know the ansaw to this ?

a flying dodo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
VC for that guy who jumped on a grenade?

(not that sure it was a VC or if it was him, just trying to help really)

:). best of luck.

Jennings92

Reaction score
Cheers for the replys, it was not the GC though as that is not counted as a majour battle hounour

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
I thought it was the Falklands conflict?

Like GW said, there isnt really a definate answer but thats probably the answer they would be looking for (Y)

Jennings92

Reaction score
Even though i have had to do these questions, will they still as me the same things during the interview and is it the best thing for me to take in as much of it, if not all, of the information into my head ?

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
Surely a suitable answer to this would be -

Well, it's debatable. It could be argued that it's Gibraltar, as it's on the badge. Others would argue that it's the Falklands or Al Fawr. Each Commando could argue the case for their own most recent major battle.

You could expand on any or all of these, saying a bit about each. This would show that you'd researched the subject and thus Corps history.

Jennings92

Reaction score

Well, it's debatable. It could be argued that it's Gibraltar, as it's on the badge. Others would argue that it's the Falklands or Al Fawr. Each Commando could argue the case for their own most recent major battle.

You could expand on any or all of these, saying a bit about each. This would show that you'd researched the subject and thus Corps history.

thats a good idea that, but as theres not enough space on the sheet, ill write it down and take it with me to the interview, thank you :) :applaus:

C

cujo

im 99.9% sure that the last major battle honour was the falklaunds war 1982, when the royal marines played a vital role in the battles for Port Stanley & Goose Green, prior to the war the sbs were onshore looking for possible land sites & general Reconnaissance.

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
im 99.9% sure that the last major battle honour was the falklaunds war 1982,

Technically speaking it wasnt a war, as war was never declared by either country :D

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score

Spot on.

The AFCO are more likely to ask you questions that are on the sheet which they will expect you to answer verbally rather than present a set of written answers. The sheet is to help you revise & memorise usually.

jasejase

Reaction score
Ive got my interview on monday but never got given a list of questions. Is something wrong here?

gibbo

Reaction score
i text 118118 and they said gibraltar, they dont lie *text deleted*

scott-woods

Reaction score
JaseJase, if your talking about the AFCO interview you wont get a sheet prior to that.
But you will be given one if you pass, for the interview at the PRMC.

Questions likely to come up in the AFCO interview, are ones about 40, 42, 45 - where they're based, and where they are at the moment.
Maybe questions on how many VC's the marines hold.
Definitly the crest, describe each part - Crown and Lion, Gibraltar, Globe, Laurels, Anchor, Per Mar...

Good luck for monday!

diggs1988

Reaction score
im pretty sure it would be al fawr like old man said. its the most recent battle honour for HMS Ocean so i imagine it would be for the marines too seeing as Ocean was there for the booties. also on a note to cujo, the battle of port stanley never happened (the argies surrendered once the brits took the high ground around it) and the marines werent anywhere near the battle for darwin and goose green, that was fought by 2 para (the only unit to be involved in 2 separate major battles in the falklands).
hope that helps.