Beach running

The Creature of the Night

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi lads:

Wanted to make a suggestion to those who hit the tarmac regularly.

Try beach running.
I had my first go at it earlier on.

Absolutely killed my knees and feet and ended up doing a 3 mile (which ususally takes me around 20 minutes) in a rather horrid 40 minutes!!

What benefits are there to beach running and should I include it in my fitness routine?~

Best wishes
The Creature of the Night.

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Beach running is quality mate. Main benefit: you hang out of your hoop twice as much.

kirbymorgan17

Reaction score
a three mile run on sand has not to be underestimated the fact you completed the run the time taken is less important at this time as alluded to a three mile has to be considered a six mile run.as always a varied exercise regime followed under instruction can only benefit and at the end of the day you will not be crawling to the doctor with a complaint of sore shins. all the best

thegingerone

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Best training advice I've ever had: shock your body!

Always mix it up and don't let your body get used to one type of training. Perfect for RM where you need to be an all round athlete.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Anyone running the beaches at Studland, Dorset or Perranporth, Cornwall will pass through officially designated nudist areas. Just saying.

Expect to be disappointed.

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Good morning, all:

So having tried beach running for three days, can ascertain that it’s brilliant!
Going to try HIIT on it later on

Best wishes:
The Creature of the Night.

kirbymorgan17

Reaction score
this time of year again for those starting out on the beach run when you hit the dunes be mind full of the breeding season underway in particular the protected lesser great breasted tit sometimes often mistaken for the sand pipit as always regard our feathered friends. all the breast oops all the best on the beach and in the dunes.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Go for the upgrade.....:cool:

Sand dunes, good soft sand.:)

Shingle, on an incline. :):)
Had a PTI working at my place at Portland and he ran the length of Chesil Beach, from Portland to West Bay, a distance of around 17 miles and all shingle. Impressive!

Alan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all
Tried sand dune intervals on Thursday (8x100m)

One word:
Knackered

Though I have found road running ‘easier’ since running on the beach. So have incorporated beach runs twice weekly into my regime.

Someone also told me (Ex Rockape) that I should run in the sea for resistance training
Any truth in this?

Best wishes:

Chelonian

Reaction score
Someone also told me (Ex Rockape) that I should run in the sea for resistance training
Any truth in this?

Fast wading in hip deep water definitely qualifies as resistance training. I'd say it has some novelty value just to make training interesting—take a swim too perhaps—but as you've discovered, sand dune intervals are leg killers and definitely worthwhile.

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I vaguely remember hearing a story that someone, or a group, trained by running through waist deep water for an event, something like a 400m race or a relay.the details are sketchy but the outcome was that they beat everyone. It definately has its advantages if you have access to a body of water and that your safe doing it.

Imagine doing your PJFT in one of these...

kirbymorgan17

Reaction score
i very much agree with the sentiment expressed on the benefits of beach running.i was glad to see the input regarding the water aspect.if you are fortunate to have access to a beach why not exploit that opportunity presented to incorporate into the fitness regime for those nursing a niggle returning to training after a slight injury perhaps start a walk along any beach and a return walk in the water.the advantage of the resistance benefits mentioned above are superb.for those not confident or confident start the return journey ankle deep and progress to the thigh taking always into account the tide.if you can get your hands on a wet suit you are laughing. walk along the beach wearing the wet suit walk back in the water.you now have acquainted yourself with both beach and wet suit. move to the jog or run.also mentioned above and a very good point to incorporate the swim cool down and as mentioned it gives the body a little respite from the road running great to add to the mix.having the wet suit allows you to use the facilities year round .happy wave dodging.

Latest posts

New Threads