Bear Gryll makes me laugh

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
He's a top guy but that show lost credibility when it was discovered he was spending his nights in a hotel or trailer when he was supposed to be in the jungle.

Bit of deceiving going on there.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
He's a top guy but that show lost credibility when it was discovered he was spending his nights in a hotel or trailer when he was supposed to be in the jungle.

Bit of deceiving going on there.
It's a TV show for Survival Techniques, wether he sleeps under a log or in a hotel room he's demonstrating what to do, how to do it, when to do it and why to do it. It's also for Entertainment purposes.

I don't care where he sleeps, he's been through SAS Selection and you don't get any hotel rooms then so I think he's earnt the right for them now.

It's like anything on TV, you can't just expect people to do as you see on screen, however it would make sense but it is entertainment because if it wasn't no one would watch it apart from survival geeks (like oneself).

He is a legend in my books, hotel or no hotel. Lets not forget, he was approached to make all these series, he didn't come up with the idea to begin with!

jimmy mal

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with ashley, it doesn't matter where he sleeps he doesn't need to prove anything, the stuff he does during the day is crazy enough. He is still showing the correct survival techniques and how to do them.

Jim

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone got his survival book, its a good read

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Not forgetting this thread is about the video not where he sleeps. Look at any TV program behind the scenes and you'll see they're all doing something that doesn't happen on tape. It's very lame of you to think that because he's not sleeping in what he builds that he doesn't deserve the credit he's earnt. I'd like to see all of you paddle the Atlantic, climb Everest and pass SAS selection =)

sooty795

Reaction score
You make me laugh ashley ......I think the programs pretty good all in all, thought last nights was funny when his raft sunk *text deleted*, but it shows it can happen to the best. I also like ray mears not as extreme but again some good survival stuff, I remember watch a ray mears episode and he was eating ration packs while the tribe he was with had there rice or similar, disappointing ray *text deleted* :)

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
I don't care where he sleeps, he's been through SAS Selection and you don't get any hotel rooms then so I think he's earnt the right for them now.
Your missing the point, if he fakes where he sleeps, what else is he faking?

Is it really minus 25c, or is it minus 5c?

is he jumping out of plane or is it a stunt man?

Once you open up the box of questioning one thing you need to open up more boxes to see the truth. No one is questioning he's a top guy but as a show it isn't all as it seems.

GW

Lee

Reaction score
did u see him bite the head off the snake then eat half then wrap up the other half and save it for later.

that made me laugh.the snake bit him first,haha. i think hes a legend

i have no reason to doubt what he does. i watched his program on flying over the height of everest in his posh mates mad contraption. the man has big balls.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Your missing the point, if he fakes where he sleeps, what else is he faking?

Is it really minus 25c, or is it minus 5c?

is he jumping out of plane or is it a stunt man?

Once you open up the box of questioning one thing you need to open up more boxes to see the truth. No one is questioning he's a top guy but as a show it isn't all as it seems.

GW
I think that boils down to the fact how often does Syberia actually go as high as minus 5 celcius? (Not to mention Bear works in fahrenheit).

How often do you see bears face when he jumps out the airplane? Everytime.
Behind the scenes shows the stuntman camera man jumping out the plane the same time as bear but backwards to film him, clearly showing Bear himself parachuting aswell as his landing.

He's not faking where he sleeps, he merely demonstrates how to build the shelter, what to build it out of, where to build in in the enviroment he's in at the time and he explains the importance of a shelter. At no point does he say "I'm going to sleep in this and I'll see you in the morning".

My argument is he is put into situations to demonstrate how to get out of them, if the director says "we need a shelter for the camera", Bear has to build a shelter for the camera. If the director says "we want you to jump off this 70ft cliff into the water" Bear has to jump off the 70ft cliff into water. Bear is given a task and does it!

My final and most important fact is bear is ex-SAS! Why on earth do you think someone, generally a military involved man, would lie? It's very rare you'll find an ex-military guy that would lie for the sake of a camera. The fact he IS ex-SAS would clearly indicate to me that he's less likely to lie for the sake of lieing and he's doing a TV show because he enjoys adventure and survival (which he has from an early age) and he's been given the opportunity to get paid to do it!

Come back to me when you have proof to back up your theory and I will more than gladly accept that I am wrong. Maybe you're jealous?

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ashley, I think GW was trying to make the point that if you lie about one thing (i.e sleeping in a hotel while giving the impression that you are spending the night in the field - which Grylls has admitted to) then what else could you be lying about.

The producers of the show do not instruct Grylls what to do, he makes he own decisions based on the best and safest way to tackle each obstacle. Also he does not build shelters for the crew/cameras, the crew carry their own equipment and are often extracted by helicopter at night. He also gets a great deal of advice and a very detailed brief from experts before entering each environment. Much of the information (specific to that particular environment) is not based on his own knowledge but on the brief he has received.

I think you are over-reacting slightly. No one is arguing that he isn’t good at what he does however they are arguing he should be more honest about what goes on behind camera.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
I think that boils down to the fact how often does Syberia actually go as high as minus 5 celcius? (Not to mention Bear works in fahrenheit).
Did I say it did?

How often do you see bears face when he jumps out the airplane? Everytime.
Did i say he didn't?

Behind the scenes shows the stuntman camera man jumping out the plane the same time as bear but backwards to film him, clearly showing Bear himself parachuting aswell as his landing.
Same as it clearly showed him goto sleep and getting back up in the same place

He's not faking where he sleeps, he merely demonstrates how to build the shelter, what to build it out of, where to build in in the enviroment he's in at the time and he explains the importance of a shelter. At no point does he say "I'm going to sleep in this and I'll see you in the morning".
Of course he's not trying to give that impression either is he, when he wakes up next morning saying that was the coldest night of my life, and he's spent the last 4 days in the local travel lodge.

My argument is he is put into situations to demonstrate how to get out of them, if the director says "we need a shelter for the camera", Bear has to build a shelter for the camera. If the director says "we want you to jump off this 70ft cliff into the water" Bear has to jump off the 70ft cliff into water. Bear is given a task and does it!
Why not just say that on camera then!

My final and most important fact is bear is ex-SAS! Why on earth do you think someone, generally a military involved man, would lie? It's very rare you'll find an ex-military guy that would lie for the sake of a camera. The fact he IS ex-SAS would clearly indicate to me that he's less likely to lie for the sake of lieing and he's doing a TV show because he enjoys adventure and survival (which he has from an early age) and he's been given the opportunity to get paid to do it!

Come back to me when you have proof to back up your theory and I will more than gladly accept that I am wrong. Maybe you're jealous?
Very Naive Ashely, Bravo Two Zero compare the stories of the guys that wrote the books. It's hard to believe they were on the same mission. If you are going to debate this, you need to debate it in a better fashion than someone telling you there is no santa clause.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Don't bring religion into my post! I'm just telling you to backup your theory before you even think of trying to prove a point.

I'd prefer it if you didn't post crap on my threads, thank you. You brought up something completely irrelivant to what the thread was intended to be about and therefore you should leave the debates to the debates thread. Now kindly fcuk off from my thread and get the proof you need to backup your statements, or should I say accusations.

It's a bit unfair you commenting on this website when you're not even joining the military let alot the Royal Marines. I think you should leave it to the people who care. You should also refrain from speaking of the military nature as you have no intentions other than to be another computer geek of society.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Ashley you are lucky it's not one of those forums where admins have such a thin skin that they ban you from the sites, but we shall crack on with the debate.

Have you had a bad day Ashley? Has someone stolen your sweaties?

Come on young man tell uncle GW?

What do you mean bring religeon into it, you don't mean that Bear Grylls is a God do you? that's pretty deep stuff that my friend.

But that begs the question, what does God need with a parachute?

GW

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
You mentioned Santa, I think that qualifies as bringing religion into it.

Ban me if you like I couldn't give a *text deleted**text deleted*. I just think you're a *text deleted*er trying to prove an invalid point on a thread that has nothing to do with what you're trying to prove.

Why don't you actually try joining the Royal Marines?

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Go ahead and delete all my threads, all my posts and ban me from using this website.

I genuinly don't care about this website.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
On my final note, don't even think about PMing me because I'm not going to read it.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Santa is in the bible is he? Koran?

Santa was designed by coca cola and the last I checked they weren't designing religous characters, but maybe they do in your world.

To ban you would give the impression that you are getting to me in someway, which is furthest from the truth.

Did Bear Grylls try joining the marines and he's a God!