bear grylls born survivor

panzergrenadier

Reaction score
anyone watch this show? my dad has always watched it and just out of curiosity I recorded last weeks episode.

guy is *text deleted* crazy

ex sas

soon as he left high school he went to mt everest to climb mountains

he's been all over the world in the most dangerous locations

the episode i just watched had him: parachuting from a plane onto the andes, abseiling down waterfalls, spending the night in a snow cave, paragliding down mountains, swimming in freezing water.

kinda got me thinking about being a mountain leader watching this episode.

another one's on tonight if anyone's interested.

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
He climbed the Himalayas after leaving school and only climbed Everest after breaking his back in a parachuting accident that ended his military career...one tough *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted** i say.

Mountain leader is epic choice there mate, go for it if you think you want it!

C

critchmufc

ive watched most of his episodes, currently im watching his new series, but its stoppped half way through until like january!

tuesday 10pm - discovery channel

hes hardcore, he could still be in the SAS, hes a monster.....i think most people would be scared to parachute again if they broke their back once, i know i probably would, but he loves it...top man

JimB

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I heard him being in the SAS was all lies - i heard he was actually in the TA's. (I know, big jump! But it's what i heard)

JimB

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Christ. Milkman during the week, SAS in his spare time.

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Ray Mears is better. Bear Grylls is an attention seeker.

S

Sotiris

HAhaha Ray Mears is a FAT "survival expert"!

At the end of the day, if your plane went down, who would you rather count on to get you out of that situation. Or better still! You're deep behind enemy lines and you get bumped, who would you rather have for your troop leader?

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
HAhaha Ray Mears is a FAT "survival expert"!

At the end of the day, if your plane went down, who would you rather count on to get you out of that situation. Or better still! You're deep behind enemy lines and you get bumped, who would you rather have for your troop leader?

Ray Mears speaks and teaches his skills to a wider audience and the average person. Bear parachutes over the Andes with *text deleted* all survival equipment and supplies, to me, that only speaks out and will help people behind enemy lines or in the forces.

Mears talks about survival at sea when your boat sinks, survival in the desert when you car breaks down - more realistic scenarios that the average person can relate to. He talks about keeping calm, high morale, gathering your bearings and making the most out of the environment you find yourself in. I find his bushcraft skills the best advice to anyone out in the wild. He talks about preparation before travelling, respecting nature and also understanding the safety it can give you as well as the dangers. For me, Ray Mears has the 'State Of Mind' to survive in the wild and therefore think he has the better techniques and mentality.

I have respect for Bear Grylls but at the end of the day he is a crazy sod, all of his stunts are set up and i just don't buy it to be honest. He is always saying how horrible things get when you are on your own, cold, wet etc. Ray Mears just tells you to keep your head up and take things step-by-step, perfect advice if you as me.

chewbaccas_leg

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
There was huge uproar about the Born Survivor series saying that they were only shooting for short periods of time near populated areas and living in accomodation in the evenings

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
anyone watch this show? my dad has always watched it and just out of curiosity I recorded last weeks episode.

guy is *text deleted* crazy

ex sas

soon as he left high school he went to mt everest to climb mountains

he's been all over the world in the most dangerous locations

the episode i just watched had him: parachuting from a plane onto the andes, abseiling down waterfalls, spending the night in a snow cave, paragliding down mountains, swimming in freezing water.

kinda got me thinking about being a mountain leader watching this episode.

another one's on tonight if anyone's interested.

What time is it on tonight?

JimB

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ray Mears is better. Bear Grylls is an attention seeker.
:iagree:
I love Mears. I've stole all his dvd's from my brother and watched them all through! He's got nice honest advice. I went to see one of his live talks here in Aberdeen and he made a big point about not saying things like "if you eat this mushroom you will die in 30 seconds!" and said that he'd do his best to give the truthfull facts with tips and advice everyone can follow.

And as dj1uk3 says, he appeals to a wider audiance.

Plus Grylls' show is a hoax. The only thing wrong with staging survival situations for an audiance, is when you try to pass it off as the real thing.

maophia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
there both awesome in there own right! only one to solve this tho, give them both a can of motor oil and see who makes it out of the bolivan desert alive! (note: quatam of solace)

panzergrenadier

Reaction score
What time is it on tonight?

quarter to six channel 5

Ray Mears speaks and teaches his skills to a wider audience and the average person. Bear parachutes over the Andes with *text deleted* all survival equipment and supplies, to me, that only speaks out and will help people behind enemy lines or in the forces.

Mears talks about survival at sea when your boat sinks, survival in the desert when you car breaks down - more realistic scenarios that the average person can relate to. He talks about keeping calm, high morale, gathering your bearings and making the most out of the environment you find yourself in. I find his bushcraft skills the best advice to anyone out in the wild. He talks about preparation before travelling, respecting nature and also understanding the safety it can give you as well as the dangers. For me, Ray Mears has the 'State Of Mind' to survive in the wild and therefore think he has the better techniques and mentality.

I have respect for Bear Grylls but at the end of the day he is a crazy sod, all of his stunts are set up and i just don't buy it to be honest. He is always saying how horrible things get when you are on your own, cold, wet etc. Ray Mears just tells you to keep your head up and take things step-by-step, perfect advice if you as me.

Fair play mate, I haven't watched Ray Mears and I've only watched a few Bear Grylls episodes so I can't really comment on this. But what I do know is I watch it for entertainment purposes, while it's interesting and all I mainly just enjoy seeing bear grylls do the stuff he does. I certainly don't watch these programs with a note and pen in hand in case i'm ever stuck in the sahara desert....

C

critchmufc

mate, do you even watch bear grylls, nothing he does is about helping people in the forces, he shows techniques about getting out alive with nothing, anywere in the world, using techniques anyone can use, unlike ray mears with his lighter and rubber tubing

bear either uses his flint or makes the fire from scratch

JimB

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
there both awesome in there own right! only one to solve this tho, give them both a can of motor oil and see who makes it out of the bolivan desert alive! (note: quatam of solace)

Wasn't that iron man?

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
mate, do you even watch bear grylls, nothing he does is about helping people in the forces, he shows techniques about getting out alive with nothing, anywere in the world, using techniques anyone can use, unlike ray mears with his lighter and rubber tubing

bear either uses his flint or makes the fire from scratch

Did you not listen to what i just said? I said that his scenarios that he acts out are in my view not directed at the average person. Because the average sane person would not travel with *text deleted* all equipment when crossing terrain over hundreds of miles. It would have to be a pretty bad accident if you got lost in the desert and all of your equipment is destroyed. (Now we are splitting hairs), but you know what i mean.

So what i am saying is that Bears techniques are all based on his MILITARY SAS training and therefore represent those of the special forces community and not the average person. Whereas Mears talks about bushcraft that has been around for thousands of years and the use of knowledge from the local people. He talks about the basic essentials to survive and he keeps things simple and like i said, in more realistic scenarios that people would find themselves in. Most of his programs on extreme survival are all based on previous survival stories that have already taken place.

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I think Mears is much better in terms of dealing with realistic situations that anyone could possibly face, such as how to make a fire (for warmth of course or cooking ofcourse), making a shelter, making a boat etc.

However, grylls just wants to entertain and show off to the audience by eating bugs and doing crazy but set up stunts. I reckon its true that he has accommodation when the camera isn't looking.

C

critchmufc

i get what you mean now, i thought you meant that only the SF could use his techniques

but most of his situations are realistic, and he shows you how to find food and water to survive and eventually how to get out

ray mears carries GPS!

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Both are good at what they do, however i personally prefer Mears due to his easy going down to earth nature. Grylls seems a bit of a prat to be honest.

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sure anyone in their right mind when faced with starvation and consequently death would eat some insects.

And Ray Mears isn't trying to 'survive' or put his body to the limits, if he was he wouldn't have a GPS with him. He's just trying to educate, not gross out or entertain.