Bear vs Mears.

S

Sotiris

Right lads let's hear it,

Who's the bigger legend?

Bear Grylls of Ray Mears?

My vote's on Bear...ex-Para/SAS/FFL :applaus:.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
in my humble opinion (having done several survival courses) in the context of a survival instructor/TV presenter bear's an attention seeking tit, and ray mears is a legend. Not to mention that mears has been doing bush craft for nearly 30 years now

mrdanie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Mears just seems more mature and calm and seems to know a lot more, Bear is a bit over the top but he does know what hes talking about, i think though what they are really trying to say a different kind of thing, Both survival but Mears isn't so much a last resort survival, whereas Bear is more "planes crashed, everyones dead, only have a stop watch and some tweezers". My opinion anyway. Id say Mears is more of a legend only *text deleted* hes been around longer, and bear Grylls looks too much like Sporticus

now hand to hand combat would be a different story and an interesting watch..

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* i'd like to ammend my opinion to match the above. exactly!

DamageInc85

Reaction score
I find them equally irritating. Mears is too much of a chubster to take seriously, his khaki gear is pretty much busting at the seams as it struggles to keep him in. You just know theres a burger van off camera waiting for him so he can stuff his face. And Bear Grylls is like one of those annoying guys at school who would do anything for attention like eat ants, jump off the school roof, paraglide over a mountain etc.

S

Sotiris

Haha, yea...just like you can never trust a skinny chef, you can't trust a fat survivalist!!

I have more respect for Bear though. You know he's been through some *text deleted**text deleted* being ex-SAS.

I think he pushes/punishes himself far more then Mears. And Mears' stuff is more unpractical...like making a lizard trap out of 400 separate twigs..or being marooned on a desert island with your machete...convenient hmmm?

Bear just grabs a stick and hits stuff with it...far more realistic and useful haha.

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm me and my m8s have this convo alot *text deleted* mears is good 4 showing u all diff of wild foods and stuff but bear is better of showing what to do in a survival situation

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
don't want to sound like a tit but i've met ray mears and he's extremely patient and doesn't have any kind of an adgenda (other than teaching bush craft), althought bear is no doubt skilled i can't help but feel that for him it's a post services career that he's doing rather than a life's calling. for me that makes all the difference. hence why Mears teaches survival coursees for the MOD and Grylls doesn't...

mrdanie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* yeh well Mears has definately perfected the art of finding food almost anywhere and out of the most random things, no wonder hes a bit of a chubber.

S

Sotiris

don't want to sound like a tit but i've met ray mears and he's extremely patient and doesn't have any kind of an adgenda (other than teaching bush craft), althought bear is no doubt skilled i can't help but feel that for him it's a post services career that he's doing rather than a life's calling. for me that makes all the difference. hence why Mears teaches survival coursees for the MOD and Grylls doesn't...

Well that sounds resonable. But then you can kind of understand that from Bear. Broke his back when his parachute didn't open properly. Doctors said he'd never walk again...that's why he left the forces. So maybe this is all much more personal for Bear.

Hehe I'd rather go to war with Bear over Mears any day.

Bobby Young

Reaction score
Yeah, i think they're two different kinds of people! I'd rather go to war with Bear but i'd rather get stuck in the middle of nowhere with Mears!! Also Mears was one of the senior SAS survival instructors as well!

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Also Mears was one of the senior SAS survival instructors as well
Bloody hell, i didnt know Ray mears did any kind of job in the forces, that is impressive, Would you haver to do SAS selction to be an SAS survival expert because that means he would be on the same wave length as Bear.

S

Sotiris

...wait, was he actually IN the SAS or was he just used briefly as an instructor? Never heard that before and not so sure it's true.

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I personally prefer Mears, I like is calm humble approach to nature/survival etc. I cannot take anything away from Bear he too knows his stuff but Im not really an adrenaline junkie which seems to be what Bear is. Mears has a deep appreciation for nature and the link we humans have with it. Anyway for me it will always be Mears.

Charlie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i think theyre both kinda equal in there own different ways....but id have to go with bear grylls. Ray mears knows his stuff definately, but bear grylls maybe dont know so much....but hes willing to try anything, and learn so much .. and kick some ass along the way! *text deleted*

oh yeah...anyone else think that Slavan Bilic (the croatia football team coach) looks like an evil version of bear grylls?...just a thought....

MAXPAIN

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Ray Mears Ray Mears Ray Mears Ray Mears Ray Mears Ray Mears Ray Mears Ray Mears Ray Mears Ray Mears Ray Mears Ray Mears, so yea i think Ray Mears is the best.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Bear if I was behind enemy lines, in some desert or the arctic,
but Mears if I was in a forest and needed some grub, a fire and a shelter for the night.

I would love to do a bush craft course by Mears though.

Joe

jeremy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The real legend is Gordan, that old man who did a series with Ray!

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
The real legend is Gordan, that old man who did a series with Ray!
Was that about finding food from ancient times?
And the guy with the beard also had glasses and was much older than ray?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Y Bear Grylls Vs. Ray Mears Jollies Bar 18
Kentish Ray Mears or Bear Grylls? Jollies Bar 62
Rover Bear Grylls RM Public Relations 25