Before we attend the PRMC, this is a must!

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I've read in the Royal Marines Commando fitness schedule that we should be able to cope with 4 - 6 mile runs 3 times a week and the pace of those runs should be 7 minutes per mile on average so really, a 6 mile run should be done in 42 minutes!

I did a 6.4 mile run yesterday at a pace of 9.19 minutes per the mile. I think someone needs to train harder :laugh:

Now I don't know how many of you do straight 4 - 6 mile runs, probably most of you, but anyway if you do, how long does it take you to complete those runs?

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i do 4 miles in 35.49 im not sure if that is good or bad :/

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i do 4 miles in 35.49 im not sure if that is good or bad :/

You'll have to knock off at least 8 minutes then mate. I doubt I'd be much better at the moment but with 6 weeks to train hard, hopefully these 7 minute miles over 4 - 6 miles will come just in time.

At the end of the day mate, my 6.4 miler should have been done in 45 minutes so thats like 15 minutes to knock off! Hopefully with breakfast this time round, I should be able to knock at least 5 minutes off.

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
yeah i guess i suck *text deleted* ill have to start pushing it! and get it down more!

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Around week 3 there is a 4 mile run, week 4-5 it goes up to 5 mile and so on.

Everything down their is gradual and if you concentrate on getting the prmc squared away, everything else will be achieveable as you go along.

Just one point and to put things into prespective as the standard required when I was in RT back in 2004. At the end of week 1 we did a run (the same as the 3 miler on the prmc today, 12:30 out and run back). I got a time of 9 minutes 8 seconds, it got a warning for my fitness and the PTI was not joking, I was in the last 5 on my troop.

That's the same run you need to get 10:30 to pass the prmc, although we did it in shorts, you will do it in combat bottoms which is a little harder in my opinion.

daz665

Reaction score
Well from what I've heard you should be aiming for 9mins for your PJFT/PRMC. It seems about right for them to expect an improvement once you start RT.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
MAN!! they up it there dont they?! 9:05 and he was unhappy?! How come you were in the last 5 tho? Did the others fitness get a bit better than yours?!

Just thought I'd done alright to pass prmc and didn't follow their fitness plan for the time between PRMC and RT, thought I knew best and was in for a shock.

At the end of week 1 of RT they used to (maybe still do) repeat day one of the PRMC. All I will say is that I was shocked to have got to level 11.4 and and nobody had dropped out. That was when it hit me about the standards I was in, but you do get used to it and they'll build you up so don't worry about it.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
argh right.. thats ok then, just a matter of cracking on as they say.
its a shame you changed your mind about being a royal, youdve made a gudun, sound like a gud bloke

Too fat now buddy, been recruited by the man at the kebad shop now and helping him with his product development :dontaskme:

Layden23

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Gary A you need to hit the track a bit more often, i did 4.9 in 35.41
no offense, didn't mean to rub it into u or nothing.

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
yea about a year ago when i was peaking i was hitting 7 minute miles consistently over distance, would run a 5 miler in 34 mins quite happily.
i think if you could do this then think you wouldnt have any problems, it is not hard getting there to be honest either just push push an push some more :) an that was up the biggest hill you have ever seen in your life! sure you can do it buddy

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yea about a year ago when i was peaking i was hitting 7 minute miles consistently over distance, would run a 5 miler in 34 mins quite happily.
i think if you could do this then think you wouldnt have any problems, it is not hard getting there to be honest either just push push an push some more :) an that was up the biggest hill you have ever seen in your life! sure you can do it buddy

I do push myself even when I'm out of breath. But try running with legs that feel totally dead.. it's tough and even though I push myself, my legs just don't want to know.

But anyway, 7 minute miles over 5 miles is *text deleted**text deleted*ing amazing. What you capable of doing now?

MAXPAIN

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
My pb on a 4 miler is 27:31, I think the best way to improve runs is to get used to doing long strides and keeping up a fast pace, I keep my pace in rythem with my breathing and I find I run alot more effeciently also asoon as you finnish your run do a upperbody circuit straight away keep your lungs working. Running includes your whole body not just the legs so what I'm saying dont just stop exercising at the end of your run keep working hard on the situps/pressups/burpess/pullups then run back home straight after, thats what I been doing and its working