being a female in rm

KatnissEverdeen

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am an aspiring female royal marine and Im looking for some advice.
Recently a lot of people have told me that the staff there wouldnt take me seriously, and even if I do achieve the standards I still would be unlikely to start training as the staff wouldn't think I'm capable, etc. I know how physically arduous training is however I am willing to put in all the effort required. I was just wondering whether this is true?
thanks in advance

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Can I ask who gave this advice to you? I'm going to guess, absolute nobodies in terms of knowledge of the Corps.

I guarantee you, pass the tests and you will be fine.

The Corps doesn't care about colour or sexuality or anything like that. The only things that matter are the colour of your lid and whether or not you're a d!ck

Chelonian

Reaction score
Welcome. Plenty of information, comment and lively debate here so please dive in.

Recently a lot of people have told me that the staff there wouldnt take me seriously, and even if I do achieve the standards I still would be unlikely to start training as the staff wouldn't think I'm capable, etc.
Be wary of what "a lot of people" tell you. Undoubtedly there are plenty of ill-informed opinions floating about.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi all,
Recently a lot of people have told me that the staff there wouldnt take me seriously, and even if I do achieve the standards I still would be unlikely to start training as the staff wouldn't think I'm capable, etc. I know how physically arduous training is however I am willing to put in all the effort required. I was just wondering whether this is true?
thanks in advance
Who ever gave you that advice, is talking out their backside.

Regardless of anyone’s opinion on the matter, it’s happening. Females can join, and CTC has already had female recruits.
Females have attempted and passed the All Arms Commando Courses. (Although please don’t turn up to CTC acting like that girl from the TV programme “SAS: who dares wins” she was an absolute doorknob.)

One thing you will find about people, is that sometimes they project their weaknesses and proclaim them to be your own.
People with no idea of the Corps and forces will come out with absolute bollocks. The fact is, they don’t have a clue and want to put you down for having aspirations that they don’t like, agree with or makes them feel weak.

Use it as fuel to motivate and prove all of us wrong.

I’ll be the first to admit I don’t agree with it for various reasons, but I’d be more than happy to be proven wrong, as long as the standards are kept. And I certainly wouldn’t want to put anyone down who wants to work hard and smash it.

The only person you have to prove anything to, is yourself.

OddPikeFromCrimsonCity.

Reaction score
. (Although please don’t turn up to CTC acting like that girl from the TV programme “SAS: who dares wins” she was an absolute doorknob.)
Haha I remember she started crying climbing up a 20-metre snow hill XD. Yeah she was really annoying and was pretty delusional *text deleted*. Recently she joined the RAF, so not quite the royal marines

ScottishRMR

Reaction score
I have a lot of respect for females who would want to join the royal marines more than any male *text deleted* especially being isolated with majority males in the military

corvus

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I have a lot of respect for females who would want to join the royal marines more than any male *text deleted* especially being isolated with majority males in the military
What are you getting at

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Right lad I’m going to give you some friendly advice. This isn’t a social media page. It’s a page for aspiring Royal Marines to come and gain advice and information to help them along their way to their aspirations to serve as a Royal Marine Commando. There are serving and former members here, not just from the corps, but the paras, Royal Navy, field Army, and even some RAF, with years of experience. Anyone that replies does it out of a willingness to help. Now debate is welcome here, but posting poorly thought out arguments, and starting threads which already exist, without searching for them, isn’t going to do you any favours. In the corps gobbing off won’t get you far either. Be thinking soldier, listen and learn before opening your mouth. Just something to think about.

its_meg

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
2 years later and any topic involving 'women' and 'Royal Marines' still means I have to go and get some popcorn! Glad to see some things never change ;)

But in terms of the original topic, out of all of the serving RM I have spoken to regarding this kind of topic, if you put the graft in and pass the tests at the current standards, no ones got a problem with you. (With the expected anomalies to this of course however you can then just prove them wrong!)

The general opinion seems to be if women expect to and want to be treated the same as everyone else, then go on to prove themselves the same as everyone else has to, crack on!

Dan8696

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure you know yourself what you are typing and replying to, and whilst I'm confident you mean well, your wording of things is just crazy.

Every single thread you've attached yourself to just attracts attention for the wrong reasons. You've spoke or attempted to speak about PMC's, tried comparing two of the worst political figures in history, trying to say one wasn't as bad as the other, they're both *text deleted*s. You've now jumped on this. Aspire to be the grey man, don't stand out.

----

I have respect for pretty much every walk of life you can choose. If you're going out grafting for bread then good on you, if you're looking to push yourself and achieve a green lid, I'll take my hat off to you. The diversity in the armed forces is only going to increase as the years go by. Nobody could say anything about you as long as much as you can each day.

Duality

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Why is everyone serious on this forum
Was your comment supposed to be in jest or sarcastic?

Also if you think everyone on this forum is serious, you clearly haven't read through much. This forum has had me snorting with laughter on many a nightshift.

To the original poster, good luck with what you choose. I'm sure no-one will give a monkeys about gender if you're smashing everything that's asked of you.

ScottishRMR

Reaction score
Right lad I’m going to give you some friendly advice. This isn’t a social media page. It’s a page for aspiring Royal Marines to come and gain advice and information to help them along their way to their aspirations to serve as a Royal Marine Commando. There are serving and former members here, not just from the corps, but the paras, Royal Navy, field Army, and even some RAF, with years of experience. Anyone that replies does it out of a willingness to help. Now debate is welcome here, but posting poorly thought out arguments, and starting threads which already exist, without searching for them, isn’t going to do you any favours. In the corps gobbing off won’t get you far either. Be thinking soldier, listen and learn before opening your mouth. Just something to think about.
I understand that now I am just reading threads now. Thanks for the advice I understand that I caught a lot of attention on here already from my posts so am going to stop posting or post maybe once every few months. I understand that the guys with experience in the forces should be the main posters here makes sense.

ScottishRMR

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure you know yourself what you are typing and replying to, and whilst I'm confident you mean well, your wording of things is just crazy.

Every single thread you've attached yourself to just attracts attention for the wrong reasons. You've spoke or attempted to speak about PMC's, tried comparing two of the worst political figures in history, trying to say one wasn't as bad as the other, they're both *text deleted*s. You've now jumped on this. Aspire to be the grey man, don't stand out.

----

I have respect for pretty much every walk of life you can choose. If you're going out grafting for bread then good on you, if you're looking to push yourself and achieve a green lid, I'll take my hat off to you. The diversity in the armed forces is only going to increase as the years go by. Nobody could say anything about you as long as much as you can each day.
Read my post to Scotty for reply

ScottishRMR

Reaction score
Was your comment supposed to be in jest or sarcastic?

Also if you think everyone on this forum is serious, you clearly haven't read through much. This forum has had me snorting with laughter on many a nightshift.

To the original poster, good luck with what you choose. I'm sure no-one will give a monkeys about gender if you're smashing everything that's asked of you.
Not everyone but this forum is more serious than others as expected. *text deleted* stop posting from now and let the experienced guys post. Read post to Scotty

KatnissEverdeen

Reaction score
Can I ask who gave this advice to you? I'm going to guess, absolute nobodies in terms of knowledge of the Corps.

I guarantee you, pass the tests and you will be fine.

The Corps doesn't care about colour or sexuality or anything like that. The only things that matter are the colour of your lid and whether or not you're a d!ck
first of all thanks for the support guys it really does mean a lot. My only question is if I do pass out of training etc will I still have that strong bond as all the lads do? E.g will I be one of the "lads" or will they just not accept me etc for being a female in a male-dominated force, and will I not really make any friends for life.

Once again thanks

CallMeLucifer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
first of all thanks for the support guys it really does mean a lot. My only question is if I do pass out of training etc will I still have that strong bond as all the lads do? E.g will I be one of the "lads" or will they just not accept me etc for being a female in a male-dominated force, and will I not really make any friends for life.

Once again thanks
I think there will be some guys that will be like that. It's to be expected. However, I think most people wouldn't really care about any superficial traits such as race, orientation, sex, or creed. What really matters is that you do what is to be expected. Anyone that passes 32 weeks of one of the most arduous regimens in the world deserves instant respect.

The_Chief

Reaction score

Once again thanks
If the previous answers haven't already given it away most people could care less what gender you are so long as you pass fair and square.

Chelonian

Reaction score
My only question is if I do pass out of training etc will I still have that strong bond as all the lads do? E.g will I be one of the "lads" or will they just not accept me etc for being a female in a male-dominated force, and will I not really make any friends for life.
Two of the most fundamental factors which contribute to one's standing in a military unit, regardless of one's sex, ethnic heritage, gender, religion or even hair colour:

1. Being a good egg.
This rather odd phrase encompasses lots of traits. For example: integrity, honesty, unselfishness, moral courage, looking out for the welfare of one's oppos, being supportive of others, etc.
Clearly all of these traits are widely regarded as admirable in all walks of life and jobs.

2. Professional competence.
Possibly this has a more unique military relevance. Being generally good at one's job is respected because the lives of one's oppos depends upon it. People are judged on it.

I did not serve in the Royal Marines but I'll go out on a limb and suggest that these traits are as relevant today as they were in 1976.