Being an older applicant and NFA medically discharged

Oldtimer

Reaction score
I'm an older applicant and was thinking about applying, I've read that if you fail the ROP you can transfer to another service but what happens if you get injured in ROP or first few weeks of training.

Do you have to reapply if you're NFA medically discharged and redo all the application process again?

Also is it possible to transfer RMR if you get injured.

Lastly as I'm near the max age limit if I was injured while in the first few weeks of training would an age waiver be available to rejoin if I was over 33 by then.

I totally understand if it's not possible but I'm calculating the risks as my current career is very safe and I've read the sevices have had a huge surge of applicants since covid.

Many thanks

G_commando

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
If you don't pass the rop you will get another attempt if not you could possibly join the navy.
If your at the upper limit then you may not get the option for rmr as they only have one troop a year so by the time they start training you might be over the upper age limit. Altho there have been a few cases where they waiver the age a little bit to start training.
My advice is if your near the upper age and have a safe job go for that. At the moment once you Finnish training you can volunteer to do a year with commando unit and then transfer to the regulars.

Oldtimer

Reaction score
If you don't pass the rop you will get another attempt if not you could possibly join the navy.
If your at the upper limit then you may not get the option for rmr as they only have one troop a year so by the time they start training you might be over the upper age limit. Altho there have been a few cases where they waiver the age a little bit to start training.
My advice is if your near the upper age and have a safe job go for that. At the moment once you Finnish training you can volunteer to do a year with commando unit and then transfer to the regulars.
Thank you for the quick reply,

My question regarding age limit is was focused towards the regulars originally, apologies for the confusion but if I was to start training and then turn 33 but later NFA medically discharged while in ROP/RT would they let me return and try for another ROP once healed.

Do you know when RMR training starts each year?

Many thanks

G_commando

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Yer I thought you were. It all depends how far you get in to training. I personally only know of one person who the reserves waiverd the age limit but he had previously pretty much finnished training.
If your in the first few weeks it's very unlikely that they will waiver it for the reserves.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
@Oldtimer - Sorry about the delay I did not see this one, in regards to your questions in order (much of which has been addressed by G_Commando.

1. If discharged NFA - yes you re-apply - as very likely you will be given a timeline (a not before date) your RT will likely still be in date, apart from that it is in the main a re-do application process.

2. No - if NFA you are unfit service for RM, so by definition also RMR as same rules apply - this will also take in question one answer.

3. Very unlikely - age waivers are only given in exceptional circumstances.

As a side note, the transfer route is not open to everyone - only those deemed suitable and with aspirations to a branch that is open, and of course, educationally qualified.