BEING HUNTERED OR BACK TROOPED.

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Rover, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Rover

Rover Moderator

This being a subject that repeatedly raise questions.

As such perhaps this will help both those in RT and their Parents/Partners understanding the reasons behind the Medical Staff and the Training Teams, when making such decisions for those undergoing training.

I wrote this awhile ago as a response in another thread.

As many Parents and Partners are naturally concerned when their son is injured or is back trooped for other reasons perhaps the following will help in understanding the subject from one having gone through that system.

The main reasons why a person gets back-trooped are injury, failing a crucial test or being assessed by the Training Team as requiring more time to get to a required standard.

Whatever the reason this can affect the Recruit in a number of ways. Also in these days of instant communication it also affects the Recruits family. Unfortunately the main response being one of failure!

The Recruit feeling he has let himself his family and his fellow recruits down. The family feeling perhaps that they have not been in a position to understand what their son has been going through or perhaps wondering if they could not have supported him more.

Well injuries happen! People have bad days and fail test. Not everyone can be the same standard at a particular moment. We all mature both physically and mentally at different stages of our life.

A Training Team will have taken a Recruits progress into account and can reach the conclusion that a particular Recruit may not at that particular moment be at his best to continue with what will be the hardest part of training, the Commando Phase.
    Therefore in the Recruits own interest it is seen best to back-troop him, so allowing him more time to achieve that standard that will see him be successful in earning his Green Beret.

After that numbness that comes with what is perhaps perceived as failure.
    It is the State of Mind that is the important factor.
    Nobody gets to any stage of training without having doubts about their ability at some time or other that is normal.

It is having that State of Mind that says whatever is thrown at you, you will show everyone that you can rise above it and succeed in achieving what you are aiming for.

You have not failed. You have been given that chance to emerge stronger than before. Take it and if need be by sheer bloody mindedness confirm people’s faith in you.

As some parents have mentioned on here before a case of supportive tough love!

A case of speaking from experience, ankle injury being my reason on being back trooped. So did not make being an ‘original’.

Son passed out as an ‘original’ yet it would seem all his troop were carrying some form of injury for the Commando Test. Seems the sick bay was doing well on painkillers.

I have known one person who went through the full SBS selection course only to be told he had failed. He was returned to his unit and a year later came back to do the whole course again, this time passing. Now that was indeed a State of Mind.

He that struggles with us strengthens our nerves, and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper. ~Edmund Burke, The Revolution in France, 1790

never-give-up.jpg

• Like Like x 15
    • Winner Winner x 6
  2. channing26

channing26 Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Thank you for this - really helpful

3. H01ty

H01ty Active Member

Helpful read thank you Rover. Been pretty down about being huntered/backtrooped at the end of week 2, something I never saw coming, but it's good to read this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. RM2977

RM2977 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    A lad who passed out in our troop spent over two years in training due to injury, never give up.

5. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

Be grateful that CTC has seen the potential to place you in Hunter after two weeks and not discharge you.

Alan

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  6. H01ty

H01ty Active Member

Yeah for sure. I'm grateful beyond belief, and also excited to just get on with it after leave. Contrary to what some of my training team thought, I've never been so annoyed to be at home and had been pushing to get back into my troop (was sent on sick leave yesterday until January) but the docs at CTC told me it wasn't going to happen so January it is.

Waiting out until Jan to find out if I'm jumping in at week 3 or restarting foundation. Both are possibilities as I passed foundation but missed the weekend between weeks 2-3.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

An opportunity while at home to develop 'speed dhobi' skills then. :) As @Caversham mentioned it's a compliment that you're being kept on. Something to remember if (or rather when) morale is at rock bottom at some future point. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 2
  8. cc1

cc1 Royal Marines Commando

Take the time off and use it to your advantage. Rest, regroup and sort yourself out mentally to come back in January and start afresh. You're not the only recruit to have picked up an injury. If you think about wrapping - consider yourself fortunate when you see all the lads in Hunter walking around with Cap Comforters that staggered at the last hurdle...

It's not simply a case of jumping in where you left off. Current experience, length of time out of training, your ability (and attitude whilst in Hunter Coy) and how the rest of the troops currently at CTC sit in the training scheme are taken into consideration.

There's a perception that Training Teams exist solely to issue carrots and sticks, and occasionally some training. Every recruit's pathway back into mainstream training is a carefully considered, planned evolution that places the best interests of the recruit at the fore. Teams spend hours behind closed doors having careful, deliberate discussion and analysis of every recruit's re-trooping. What's in a recruit's best interest and what that recruit believes is in his best interest are two completely different beasts. The former has the benefit of years of experience and hindsight.

• Like Like x 5
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016