Belfast, Northern Ireland

JF1310

Reaction score
Hows' it going everyone?

Im from Belfast applying to be a RM Officer. Just passed my SIFT (careers discussion) interview today! So any questions fire away and I will try to answer them as best I can. Here in Belfast we do things slightly differently to the mainland so if there's any specific questions anyone would like to ask in relation to that, don't hesitate to ask!

Passed RT
Passed Medical
Passed SIFT

Hoping to be in the YO September 2018 batch.

Jman96

Reaction score
Hi mate, I've got my interview this Tuesday. Just wondering what type of questions you were asked? I know each interview is slightly different and can depend on the officer conducting the interview but just trying to get as much info as I can.

Also aiming for the batch in September 2018.

JF1310

Reaction score
My whole interview lasted slightly over an hour, lots of questions about motivation for joining, describing times when you were leading (outcomes, good or bad), family, RM knowledge, RN knowledge, quite a number of questions regarding situations you'd be in as a RM officer and what you would do (RM knowledge here is key) as well as some current affairs topics. The Lt conducting the interview mentioned that I was very well versed and gave logical and confident answers but also went into depth, he mentioned that this was excellent because he didn't have to probe for more information and make his job harder (as well as the boards job harder when it comes to AIB). So be confident, relaxed and just enjoy it. Good luck!

Jman96

Reaction score
Brilliant, thanks for all that information. Much appreciated and congrats on getting that passed!

Bear4236

Reaction score
Hows' it going everyone?

I'm from Belfast applying to be a RM Officer. Just passed my SIFT (careers discussion) interview today! So any questions fire away and I will try to answer them as best I can. Here in Belfast we do things slightly differently to the mainland
From Northern Ireland myself looking to join as OR once my fitness is up to scratch, how was the whole process for you over here? Was there any specific thing that you’d say is slightly different in the process? Good to see lads from here joining up, hoping there’s another irish man with me when I join! Otherwise noone will understand a word I say:D

JF1310

Reaction score
Theres loads of threads on here of good programmes and workouts, 'Arnys' is a good one with some tough hillsprint workouts if you're looking! The process was grand, once I had applied it didn't take long for the ball to get rolling with the recruit test and medical parts done, although I encountered some issues with Capita, they all got sorted, thankfully. Our PJFT is different, we do it outside on the astroturf and then we go to the gym to do press ups, sit ups and pull ups. These aren't scored, just to see how well you can do and if you're up to standard for POC/PRMC. Haha yeah we'll have to talk a bit slower. I'd apply now if I were you and get it all started, you can specify to the AFCO that you're still working on fitness and they can help you out. RMAD's (Royal Marines Acquaint Day's) come up every so often over here and they're great for seeing where you're at fitness wise in comparison to other lads who're there, some of which have been on PRMC and failed. So if i were you I'd start now and show your interest. Good luck!

Bear4236

Reaction score
Cheers! Yeah I was waiting to get my fitness up before applying but I suppose it makes sense to get the ball rolling and give me that extra motivation to work towards something! So would it be possible to apply and get an interview and do the non phys steps and then say that I’m still training and hold off the pjft?

JF1310

Reaction score
Yeah exactly, give your training a good bit of purpose and it'll help when the going gets tough! Yeah I'm pretty sure you can do that, they would never send anyone on a PRMC who they didn't think was up to standard so you should have no issues.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Belfast, (Northern Ireland) Training Partners 4
N Belfast/Co. Down Northern Ireland Training Partners 0
R.D.G Belfast, Northern Ireland Training Partners 5