Benefits of a Masters Degree

northmonkeySW

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm in a fortunate position to have received a fully-funded masters offer for a top uni in the uK for 2018-19. It's in security and international relations and i'll be taking a language component as part of it (looking at either Russian or Chinese). So overall this is a fantastic offer.

My long term aim remains to join the RM as an officer, so even if I pursue the Masters that would still be my overall goal. I'm just interested to see what thoughts are in relation to accepting the above and pausing my officer application for next year?

Is the above masters something the service as a whole would find useful and beneficial to my application? My only concern is a funded Masters in an area I'm extremely interested in isn't something I'm probably going to get another opportunity at.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Seize the opportunity whilst you can.

The Masters won't influence your employment opportunities within the service necessarily, but it will enhance life experience & potentialy future civilian employment opportunities.

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
I agree, you won't find that opportunity present itself too often and realistically, the corps may never happen for you. It's always good to have a back up.

D

dodgyknees

Great opportunity, sieze it with noth hands.

A note of caution however. If the RM is your eventual goal make sure you keep an eye on the age criteria and length of time it takes to get through the Capita nightmare. I note you are 24...I believe the max age for officer entry is 25. Just be careful and ensure you understand the rules.

northmonkeySW

Reaction score
I’m doing a pub quiz at the moment and me and our lads are thick as 3 sort planks you sound a clever Biggs are you far from the Barnes pub Sunderland?

Sorry mate I'm about 200 miles south of you at the moment otherwise I would've been keen to pitch in!

Thank you for the advice guys - I've got my PJFT tomorrow so will see how it goes.

I'm also aware of the age limit, and that's definitely something that I'm taking into consideration when deciding what to do.

On a side note, are language skills something that the service is keen on?

D

dodgyknees

Sorry mate I'm about 200 miles south of you at the moment otherwise I would've been keen to pitch in!

Thank you for the advice guys - I've got my PJFT tomorrow so will see how it goes.

I'm also aware of the age limit, and that's definitely something that I'm taking into consideration when deciding what to do.

On a side note, are language skills something that the service is keen on?

Defence Engagement is a growth area for the Forces so language ability will always be a plus. Having said that, unless you speak it to a very high level it is unlikely that it will be significant in either selection or drafting.

Remember though that life is not all about the RM. Acquire as many wider life skills as you can; you never know when a bit of language ability will come in useful.

RM2977

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely take the masters.

Every bloke in the corps I know wishes they had stayed in school longer - whether they have GCSEs, A-levels, O-levels, or a degree - there's nothing to lose by making the most of education while you can and getting more qualifications.

It's important to remember that most people do not stay in the corps for life, and especially for officers I think the initial commission is only 8 years during which you have to make Major to have your commission extended(?).