Best course of action now... - shins

Paddy88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys

Still moaning about the same old problems, still suffering from shin pain (Which I feel immediately after starting jogging). Have had the same problem for over a year now with the same pain with a few weeks here and there where I have been able to run reasonably comfortable but not at a fast pace.

I've tried everything from buying new running trainers, expensive custom orthotics and visiting a physio and nothing seems to help.

I'm currently at a loss as what to do, any suggestions? things looking very bleak at the moment...

Regards,

Patrick

Robbie5

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Have you been diagnosed with shin splints? When I went to the docs I got x-rayed incase there were any stress fractures. If its shin splints have you tried strengthening exercises? Such as heel raises and toe toe raises?

Paddy88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Went to the GP a long time ago, they did a very basic check on me and didn't find shin splints, they referred me to a podiatrist in a town 3 hours away which gave me a terrible pair of orthotics that I never wore. I since went private with an expensive pair that didn't really seem to help... I have tried toe raises etc, still to no avail :(

RAY_GRYLLS

Reaction score
it could be down tight calf muscles mate?

Before going on a run make sure you warm up properly and really stretch your calf's out for a good 20 minutes. Also stretch regularly each nigh to try and gain more flexibility.

If your at your wits end then give it a try!!

Connor!

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmmm what dies it take you to? Should be commando Fitness blueprint, hes and ex marine now pti, talking about how to prevent shin splints.

Maybe the link isn't working because I'm on my iPad? I don't know either way search YouTube commando fitness blueprint and there are a few videos one of which has shin splints in the title, that's the one

RAY_GRYLLS

Reaction score
Hmmmm what dies it take you to? Should be commando Fitness blueprint, hes and ex marine now pti, talking about how to prevent shin splints.

Maybe the link isn't working because I'm on my iPad? I don't know either way search YouTube commando fitness blueprint and there are a few videos one of which has shin splints in the title, that's the one
It seems to just take me to a screen without about 4 irrelevant videos on.. i will give it a search then as i have too have trouble with shin pain after a run!

Cheers mate.