Best exercise without running?

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Long story short my mum got tested positive for Covid on Thursday and I’m just waiting for the results to comeback for myself but I’m staying here with her for the next 14 days so can’t leave the house and furthest I can go is the garden and I’m getting called a few times a day by nhs to check if I’m okay etc.

Im a bit concerned with the running side of things as I’ve worked hard to get a good base of running to then not be able to do it for 2 weeks now I need to do something that will be as close to keeping that area ticking over for when I start again.

These are the things I have at my disposal currently.

Jerry cans
weight vest
skipping rope
weights
pullup bar

I will be ordering a sandbag just not quite sure what weight I need as they go from 5kg go 30kg.

What is the best form of workouts I can do that will keep my fitness ticking over on the cardio/endurance side of things? I’m only going to be in the garden so just looking for advice on this as I’ve been doing around 15+ miles a week running and 20+ miles cycling a week for at least the past 6 weeks so don’t *text deleted* become to stiff when I get back into it if that makes sense?

Appreciate it.

ReapNSow

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Others may disagree but If I were you I would keep up with your running, just take routes which are less populated and if you do come across people, go out of your way to keep clear from them. Or get yourself used to the 5am starts and run before anyone is awake. Alternatively if you don't want to do that then just smash out some big CV circuits with high volume, Grizzphys would be a good place to start

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
You shouldn't lose too much in 14 days. Especially if you're training at home in the meantime.

You've got some good kit there. Something simple for you:

Work for 1 minute per exercise with 15 seconds to prepare for the next.

Jerry can farmers walks
Burpees
Pull ups
Double unders
Power cleans
Ghecko press ups

4-5 rounds of that should get you breathing hard and smash your grip strength which is an underestimated aspect in training.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Sir Chris Hoy belts out significant weighted squats. :)

hoy.jpg

Harry McRunFast

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
@Mattys

Recently took a week off running myself... did burpee based bodyweight circuits throughout that whole week and came back noticeably stronger, particularly on the hills. Do burpees til the cows come home and you’ll likely improve your running. They are a god send.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Others may disagree but If I were you I would keep up with your running, just take routes which are less populated and if you do come across people, go out of your way to keep clear from them. Or get yourself used to the 5am starts and run before anyone is awake. Alternatively if you don't want to do that then just smash out some big CV circuits with high volume, Grizzphys would be a good place to start
I understand where you’re coming from and it’s very frustrating for myself to be in this position now but as the address and people with it are all registered you get nhs coming to the house and frequent calls you can get fined and it only takes 1 person to spot you! Ha

You shouldn't lose too much in 14 days. Especially if you're training at home in the meantime.

You've got some good kit there. Something simple for you:

Work for 1 minute per exercise with 15 seconds to prepare for the next.

Jerry can farmers walks
Burpees
Pull ups
Double unders
Power cleans
Ghecko press ups

4-5 rounds of that should get you breathing hard and smash your grip strength which is an underestimated aspect in training.
Thats good to know then and the worse feeling for me is I’ve been used to running 5/6 days a week but being stuck at home sticking to a diet will most certainly be the challenging part!

Had a look at them double unders they look very technically difficult! The gecko press-ups don’t look to bad but as my max press-ups is currently 30 not sure if that’s something that I will benefit from?
Agh shoulda made my weights clearer I’ve got dumbells not barbells as thst woulda been something I’d have liked to do which is one of the reasons I’ve been looking at sandbags!

Appreciate the detailed response!

@Mattys

Recently took a week off running myself... did burpee based bodyweight circuits throughout that whole week and came back noticeably stronger, particularly on the hills. Do burpees til the cows come home and you’ll likely improve your running. They are a god send.
How many burpees did you do in that week? I don’t want to do to little but ofcourse don’t want to do to many form goes out the window and they become sluggish more than anything!

Just set out a workout routine if there’s anything that would be recommended to be changed or added in feel free to suggest it.
Pullups and press-ups are my weakness so just trying to get better at them as best as I can so got these in more frequently even if low reps just to get the body used to them.

On the skipping then burpees ive layed it out so I do 1x 100 skips then 1x 10 burpees until all sets complete.

Appreciate all the feedback!

Attachments

Harry McRunFast

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
How many burpees did you do in that week? I don’t want to do to little but ofcourse don’t want to do to many form goes out the window and they become sluggish more than anything!
Hmm I’d say around 650-700...worth it! Just make them part of your routine from no on, doesn’t take that long, just power through!

Don’t worry about numbers and sets/reps etc, just make sure your training is robust mate.

Circuits are the way forward, just mix it up. As long as you are hitting the main exercises, doing other stuff is only going to help. Variety is important!

Last edited:

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm I’d say around 650-700...worth it! Just make them part of your routine from no on, doesn’t take that long, just power through!

Don’t worry about numbers and sets/reps etc, just make sure your training is robust mate.

Circuits are the way forward, just mix it up. As long as you are hitting the main exercises, doing other stuff is only going to help. Variety is important!
Yeah most certainly will! Been meaning to add skipping in for sometime but never seemed to add it in to my workouts but luckily now I can do that as that’s a brutal workout if done properly!

Once my bodyweight workouts become better I know the circuits will become that much more enjoyable in the fact I’ll feel like I’m getting somewhere!

Cheers for the detailed info mate appreciate it as always.

smashlegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I’ll throw a simple one in the bag. Skipping super set with Burpees. That’ll get your legs and lungs going.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I’ll throw a simple one in the bag. Skipping super set with Burpees. That’ll get your legs and lungs going.
How would you set this out?

Ive got it set out where I do 100x skips then 10x burpees repeats 20x times.

Harry McRunFast

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Something like:

1 Minute skip
10 Squats
10 burpees
10 press ups
15 Squat thrusts
20 sit ups
10 lunges (5 each leg)
10 burpees

Should take 3-4 minutes per round... repeat as many as you feel necessary. Couple of mins rest after each round and you’ll be good to go again. Of course switch it up.

Harry McRunFast

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
@Mattys

I think you’re worrying about it a bit too much mate. There’s no one specific way to substitute running. Any exercise that gets your heart rate up for a sustained amount of time will be beneficial to your cardio respiratory fitness. You may lose a little of your fitness whilst not running because you are new to it, but that’s to be expected. The information laid out above will help minimise any reduction in fitness.

Have a look on YouTube, there’s tonnes of full length workouts on there.

Just do the best with what you have. Lockdown should have showed us all that you need precisely zero equipment to get a good workout in, and from what you’ve said, you have loads! Experiment with what you have and see what works best.

You’ll be fine!

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Something like:

1 Minute skip
10 Squats
10 burpees
10 press ups
15 Squat thrusts
20 sit ups
10 lunges (5 each leg)
10 burpees

Should take 3-4 minutes per round... repeat as many as you feel necessary. Couple of mins rest after each round and you’ll be good to go again. Of course switch it up.
That’s a good circuit something I’d be interested in doing for sure! I haven’t did skipping in years so going to see how I handle that tomorrow as that is something that gets the heart rate sky high indeed!

@Mattys

I think you’re worrying about it a bit too much mate. There’s no one specific way to substitute running. Any exercise that gets your heart rate up for a sustained amount of time will be beneficial to your cardio respiratory fitness. You may lose a little of your fitness whilst not running because you are new to it, but that’s to be expected. The information laid out above will help minimise any reduction in fitness.

Have a look on YouTube, there’s tonnes of full length workouts on there.

Just do the best with what you have. Lockdown should have showed us all that you need precisely zero equipment to get a good workout in, and from what you’ve said, you have loads! Experiment with what you have and see what works best.

You’ll be fine!
Yeah your right I do overthink things I think it’s just more of I didn’t *text deleted* lose my running over the next few weeks rather than expect to get better at it without doing it if that makes sense.
Ill jut see how my planned workout goes and I’ll be sure to see how I do with the running in few weeks time just to see how I fare with it!

LizardMan

Reaction score
Hi Mattys,

I would recommend you do HIIT (High-intensity interval training) workouts. They are plenty of videos on Youtube with different workouts. HIIT workouts is very good for cardio.