Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Best PJFT training plan

Discussion in 'Training Plans and Diet Suggestions' started by future-commando, Jan 27, 2020.

1. future-commando

future-commando Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Hi all,

Anyone got any good PJFT training plans or tips I could incorporate? Plenty out there for PRMC but can't find anything particularly high intensity for PJFT.

As always any advice is appreciated.

2. JM8

JM8 New Member

12 x 400m 60 secs rest

6 x 800m 90 secs rest

5 miler @ 8 min miles

Once you feel fit enough replace one of the intervals with a PJFT mock.

• Like Like x 2
  3. StrSam

StrSam Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I echo what's said above with the first half; one Fast sprint session, one medium distance session, and one longer slower session.

I would however, stress that you should practice pjft mocks as soon as possible. The quicker you find out your base scores and running paces on the treadmill the better.

Perhaps fit all four training sessions into a weekly plan if possible, and still be training in prep for your prmc!

4. future-commando

future-commando Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    How does this look?

Monday
    AM - 12 x 400m 60 secs rest interval training
    AM - 3x20 press ups, 3x30 situps, 3x3 pull ups, 7 final chin ups
    PM - 10KG weighted carry 2 miles (under 10mm)

Tuesday
    AM - 3 miles (7.30 mm or less)
    Max pull ups
    Max press up
    Max sit ups
    PM – recovery swim 30-40 minutes

Wednesday
    AM - 6 x 800m 90 secs rest interval training
    PM – 20 minutes recovery run 10mm

Thursday
    AM - 5 miler @ 8 min miles
    PM - 3x max pull ups, 3x max press ups, 3x max sit ups

Friday
    AM – 8 miles (9mm)
    PM – swim 45 minutes

5. StrSam

StrSam Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Pti on the prmc suggests to not do any weighted Carries. You'll do it all in training at a gradual increase so dont worry about that.

It is highly unlikely you'll be able to train at that high of an intensity for that long, morning and evening everyday consecutively. Make one of those days a rest day or a recover swim day.

Obviously you want to increase your cardio and strength as quick as possible, but dont forget the injury prevention side of things.
    Running 5 days in a row at that much mileage on a treadmill is shin splint city for the majority of people, so unless you're a super runner then I'd take a look at whole plan and reconfigure it about again! You dont need to train 10 times a day to get fit, you just need to be efficient and consistent

Just my opinion of course

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Yep, running with weight is actively advised against. CTCRM has amassed a vast amount of data relating to training injuries and doing this stuff pre-RT is a definite red flag.

Walking with a weighted bergen while wearing boots appears to be okay though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. future-commando

future-commando Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Is that what the pre-PRMC plan I supposed to represent then? Walking with weight?

8. future-commando

future-commando Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    @StrSam you mentioned the training plan was too high intensity. Would it be advisable to cut the 8 miler out or make it a slow and steady recovery run e.g. 3/4 miles at 10mm pace?

9. StrSam

StrSam Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    You dont 'have' to walk with weight, the same way you don't 'have' to use a rowing machine; it's a tool to improve your performance but not necessarily needed for you to pass prmc as much as running or doing press ups are.

I'd say that plan is a plan you could do for a few weeks perhaps before prmc, but it might not be sustainable for now. Try running 3 times a week, doing bodyweight exercises 2 times a week, and swimming one a week? That's sounds like a reasonable start to me. If you're running a pjft mock each week, you can see if you're improving or not and then make changes if you need to. If that's too easy then you can add more sessions, or make the sessions harder.

Again, high intensity doesnt have to mean doing 5x hill sprints two days in a row. It can also mean doing 10x hill sprints one day and then resting the next. Recovery is crucial for improvement

Sorry to not answer your questions directly, but I dont want to tell you what to do directly

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  10. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

To be honest I'm not overly familiar with the pre-PRMC plan but I can say with confidence that a long standing advisory is that running with weight prior to RT is actively discouraged.

11. future-commando

future-commando Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    OK so I have changed up the training plan. Hope this looks a little better.

Monday
    AM - 12 x 400m 60 secs rest interval training
    PM - 3x20 press ups, 3x30 situps, 3x3 pull ups, 7 final chin ups

Tuesday
    AM - 3 miles (8 mm or less) or evaluate fitness level (PJFT)
    Max pull ups
    Max press up
    Max sit ups
    PM – recovery swim 30-40 minutes

Wednesday
    AM - 6 x 800m 90 secs rest interval training
    PM – Row 2000m sub 10 minuets, 3x15 squats, 3x10 deadlift 20-40 kg

Thursday
    AM - 5 miler @ 8:30 min miles
    PM - 3x max pull ups, 3x max press ups, 3x max sit ups

Friday
    AM – Max press ups, pull ups, sit ups
    AM - 2x12 weight machines
    PM – swim 45 minutes

12. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Hi mate, just my opinion, gleam from it what you will!

When designing a running programme, it’s important to understand that there are two main areas of endurance that you want to improve, if you want to be able to run fast, for a long time. Firstly you have cardiovascular endurance, meaning the ability of the heart and lungs to move oxygen to the relavent muscle groups. Secondly you have peripheral endurance, or muscular endurance.

The general consensus among almost everyone who runs at a decent level is an 80/20 split. 80% of your mileage being easy running, 20% being at a higher intensity. A good way to measure your intensity is to take the “talk test”... meaning if can you say 5/6 words at a time while running, or more, you’re running at an “easy” pace.

The purpose of easy running is to improve cardiovascular endurance, and increase the hearts ability to get blood to the muscles.

The purpose of doing faster, shorter bouts, such as sprints, hill work etc, is to improve the peripheral, muscular endurance.

The above is all very simplified, but you get the idea!

3 miles (1.5 out, then 1.5 return - best effort) is almost entirely an endurance event. It’s short enough to be lung busting, and faster than “easy pace,” but it’s by no means a flat out sprint.

Depending on what level you’re at, and what level you’re trying to get to, the load you put on your body needs to be adjusted.
    More is not always better!

Good luck!

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  13. StrSam

StrSam Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I made my points, and unfortunately not many of them touched base.
    Try your workout for a month and then get back to us and tell us how you feel. Trial and error is the only way you can truly learn

14. future-commando

future-commando Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I will cut the run fro
    I will cut the run from Tuesday, that way it's only 3 runs a week. How regularly should I do a mock PJFT?

15. Harry McRunFast

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    How long til your PJFT?

16. future-commando

future-commando Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I haven't reapplied yet. I was TMU which eventually got cleared. I withdrew to work on my fitness. My afco advised it could be 2-3 months once my application is active. I'm unsure when to reapply.

17. Harry McRunFast

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    @future-commando

What’s your current running ability? Have you taken a mock PJFT in the last month or so?

18. future-commando

future-commando Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    No I haven't, my 3 mile time is about 24 minutes best effort. 4 miles I've only timed once and my leg gave way, completed in 38 minutes. So I still have a lot of work to do but hoping it should only take a few months.

19. sharpe

sharpe Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    I think your statement of it’ll only take a few months is optimistic. Look at your 3 mile time of 24 mins, that’s going to need a minimum of 2 minutes shaving off the 1.5 mile return and that’s not factoring in the “warm ups” and extra phys. Honestly if you’re that close to the wire don’t rush it. Take a bit longer to build up your running progressively, learn to enjoy it and you’ll be fine:)

• Like Like x 1
  20. future-commando

future-commando Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Over the next few months I'm going to monitor my progress and see how things go. If I'm at a PJFT pass or close to it then I may consider applying. I want to be physically prepared before the real thing. I've made the mistake in the past where I've applied without being physically capable or been made TMU and been disheartened by It and let myself go. Obviously I hope it's not a long wait until I can apply but I'm going to train hard and monitor progress. Thanks for all the advice.