Best region to live in while training

oliveoil

Reaction score
Hi all,
this may seem like a ridiculous question but my husband and I are moving over to the UK in a month and I was wondering if anyone recommends a particular area to live in while training? He doesn't start his farrier apprenticeship until September 18, around the same time as I'll be doing my best to join up, so until then we can pretty much move anywhere as long as there are rubbish part time jobs about.
Also if anyone can recommend a really good boxing gym (esp' if it also does bjj) it would be much appreciated as thats about 80% of my training regime :)

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Scotland, they have some lovely hills:D
Haha though quick side note, if 80% of your training is based around MMA that's not specific enough so you'd have a hard time cracking selection. You don't need to do anything fancy, just run a few times a week and plenty of press ups/sit ups/pull ups!

oliveoil

Reaction score
My gym here in NZ is pretty hard on physical fitness (not enough people in the country for regular fights so we just get fit haha), every session starts with running, pull ups, pushups, sit ups, a weights circuit and usually skipping too so by the time i get to any actual fighting I'm half dead and end up getting cracked in the face, which is the sort of gym I'm after in the UK :D

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve always wished I could have been brought up in the South West of England. Plenty of countryside, plenty of hills, plenty of rain, plenty of cold mornings... perfect training scenario for a Royal Marines Commando and hopefuls alike

browner467

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve always wished I could have been brought up in the South West of England. Plenty of countryside, plenty of hills, plenty of rain, plenty of cold mornings... perfect training scenario for a Royal Marines Commando and hopefuls alike

I live in the South West, it's perfect for training. Where I live there's plenty of gyms (all with different training styles), loads of hills, MTB tracks, a 10 minute drive from the moors and a 20 minute drive to the beach (perfect for sand running and open water swimming). The cold mornings and 90% chance of rain everyday is a bonus.

robbo09

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,
this may seem like a ridiculous question but my husband and I are moving over to the UK in a month and I was wondering if anyone recommends a particular area to live in while training? He doesn't start his farrier apprenticeship until September 18, around the same time as I'll be doing my best to join up, so until then we can pretty much move anywhere as long as there are rubbish part time jobs about.
Also if anyone can recommend a really good boxing gym (esp' if it also does bjj) it would be much appreciated as thats about 80% of my training regime :)

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Anywhere in Yorkshire, plenty of hills to get sprinting up and down. If you don't have a cracking pair of calf muscles you ain't from Yorkshire. It's cheaper to live up here than down south too. Plenty of gyms around and you shouldn't have much trouble getting a part time job.

stumpylegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Doesn't matter where you live, if you want to be a royal you'll make it happen, only thing to consider if you live really north, it'll take you two days to get down to ctc and you'll have to fly (most likely to Gatwick)

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Doesn't matter where you live, if you want to be a royal you'll make it happen

True that

Just to add to the OP, bear in mind CTC is in Devon so the closer you are to there the easier it will be to get home and for family to visit etc.

Best of luck!

Chelonian

Reaction score
He doesn't start his farrier apprenticeship until September 18, around the same time as I'll be doing my best to join up, so until then we can pretty much move anywhere as long as there are rubbish part time jobs about.

Here's one to throw into the mix of suggestions. Perhaps consider West Sussex and adjacent counties for the following reasons:

Good transport links.

Vibrant economy means more job opportunities than economically depressed areas.

Plenty of affluent polo pony liveries in that region if hubby wants to work with the stroppy four-legged beasts before starting his apprenticeship.

One downside is that the south of England can be expensive to rent property.

New Threads