Best Royal Marine books?

Ninja-to

Reaction score
What books have you guys read that are 'good'?

There are quite a few of them out there, and some are pretty damn expensive (£45+ occasionally) so wondering which I should think of picking up. Are there any 'must read' books? Categories I'm most interested in are RM history, fitness etc, but not fiction...

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I have not read any of the fitness books but have read these books and found them rather good.

Commando
by Chris Terrill. £12.99 for the hard cover on amazon.co.uk

It follows the marine training and gives a nice outlay of what goes on during your training a very helpful insight I would imagine into the heart of Lympstone. Marines are also followed into Afganistan which provides yet further interest to most people. Chris Terril was given a honorary Green Beret as he completed the commando tests.

The Making of a Royal Marine Commando second edition,
by Nigel Foster £5.99 for paperback on amazon.co.uk

Loads of amazing insight into various marine roles, i could not put this book down.

The Royal Marines: From Sea Soldiers to a Special Force
by Julian Thompson (Paperback) 65p Second hand from amazon.co.uk

Book has a massive breakdown of individual battles, i really would not recommend this as a starter book, get one of the other easier reads of marine history first.

Royal Marines Commandos: The Inside Story of a Force for the Future
by John Parker £5.99 from amazon.co.uk

Written in a way that wont fry your brain with facts, definitely a good book to start learning about Royal Marine history.

By Sea and Land: Story of the Royal Marine Commandos
by Robin Neillands 74p secod hand from amazon.co.uk

Written by an ex commando and covering from WW2 to the Falklands as I recall. Would advise against this book, its badly pieced together and often leaves a story untold but does give some wonderful factual accounts of the action as experienced by former commando's.

Iraq Campaign 2003: Royal Navy and Royal Marines
by Robert Fox £16.49 from amazon.co.uk

Has some cracking photos and details of the operations carried out by the marines in Iraq.

Commando: Winning the Green Beret
by Hugh McManners £3.70 from amazon.co.uk second hand

I have not read this yet, its sitting not far away from me waiting for me to finish my current book. Will copy paste the Synopsis provided by amazon.

Product Description
Synopsis
The Royal Marine Commandos were formed by Churchill during World War II and have earned a reputation as the most feared amphibious infantry in the world. They are highly trained, disciplined, tough, determined and efficient, always basing their operations on speed, mobility, surprise and fire-power. There are two ways to join the Commandos - through a Recruit Troop Course for teenagers, or through the All Arms Course for volunteeers from the Army, Royal Navy and Royal Air Force. Both involve intensive training, physical hardship and mental pressure, ending with the gruelling Commando tests. This book follows two such courses and presents a human story which finds the reality a far cry from the popular idea of Commandos as gung-ho Captain Hurricanes. The author, who himself successfully complete the All Arms Course, takes the reader through the agony and ecstasy of the Commando training programme in an effort to understand why these men endure this self-inflicted punishment, and to explain the pride and honour felt on winning the green beret.

Ninja-to

Reaction score
Wow! Great details on those books. You should start your own review website! Thanks for that, will look into those.

rhodri

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i baught the making of a royal marine commando a few days ago about a 3rd of the way through and very good so far well worth a read ,