Best Running Shoes? Working out?

Phantomtek

Reaction score
Anyone know of any good running shoes that I can buy, good makes etc. or what I should be looking for? Going to be getting into running soon to start with my cardio and getting my endurance up. Don't mind if they are a *text deleted**text deleted* make or whatever aslong as they do their job.

Also, whats the best way to build myself up in other areas for the POC tests? Should I aim to max out to build up my numbers or not? Currently I just do as many sit ups as I can in one go (About 80 - 100) but for press ups I'm following the press up thing posted on here alot, currently I can only max out at a shameful 20 press ups :( Though that is marine style as far as I can tell, I put my hands facing forward by my chest and have my arms by my side?).

I also do dips and squats, I can only do 3 - 5 pull ups too :(

Haven't timed my run yet as I have done no running since High School P.E :doh:

Does anyone have a workout routine they use? I'm doing the usual bench presses with my weights set and I do Muay Thai and Jujitsu too so I am fairly active but I want to get Marine fit early and then just work on maintaining it so I have the edge when it comes to selection!

Cheers guys!

LAS920

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hello mate, firstly, I love my asics running shoes. I'm currently running around 20 miles a week in mine, and have not aches or pains whatsoever. As for schedule, in there POC section there are few examples of current schedules. D oyou have any dates for your POC yet?

I notice your from leeds? And you do muay thai.... Where do you train? I fight for the Golden Team!

Brucey1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Asics all the way for me. go to a proper running shop and get them to check your running gait on a treadmill. then they can tell you if you over pronate etc etc and fit you for the right pair of shoes. Ask them to let you try as many pairs as you want to mate, it will be important in the long run.

Mat

Reaction score
I went for a pair of Hi Tec trainers, nothing to fancy and I paid about £20 for them and they have been brilliant for me so far. But ive seen a lot of the guys here really rate Asics so I would just go for whatever feels the most comfortable for you.

Loz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone know of any good running shoes that I can buy, good makes etc. or what I should be looking for? Going to be getting into running soon to start with my cardio and getting my endurance up. Don't mind if they are a *text deleted**text deleted* make or whatever aslong as they do their job.

Also, whats the best way to build myself up in other areas for the POC tests? Should I aim to max out to build up my numbers or not? Currently I just do as many sit ups as I can in one go (About 80 - 100) but for press ups I'm following the press up thing posted on here alot, currently I can only max out at a shameful 20 press ups :( Though that is marine style as far as I can tell, I put my hands facing forward by my chest and have my arms by my side?).

I also do dips and squats, I can only do 3 - 5 pull ups too :(

Haven't timed my run yet as I have done no running since High School P.E :doh:

Does anyone have a workout routine they use? I'm doing the usual bench presses with my weights set and I do Muay Thai and Jujitsu too so I am fairly active but I want to get Marine fit early and then just work on maintaining it so I have the edge when it comes to selection!

Cheers guys!

Whey! someone else from Leeds, pop over to Ilkley mate and have a look at CompleteRunner. They'll size you up and give you the best running shoes for your style of feet and running style.

spiderman

Reaction score
Yes mate asics are great do the job! i use Asics gel nimbus 9 got em for about 60 quid.

Phantomtek

Reaction score
Going to look at some Asics shoes then! :D

Might check that place you recommended out too, cheers.

Muay Thai, I went to Mike Tobin's gym in Armley as thats nearest to me, only went twice before I got a hernia so now I just practice at home whilst I wait for surgery :( Hoping to get back into it though and maybe even do competition in the next few years!

Cheers guys!

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
really what running trainers are good for you depends on your running style, i.e. over pronation, under pronation or no pronation, if you have over then either the asics or get a pair of brooks beasts which are really good. but if you dont over or under pronate then any comfortable padded trainers will do, get some light weight running ones or get off road ones, whatever. but a place i may suggest getting your traininers is www.sweatshop.co.uk or .com one of them *text deleted*, but they have sales on trainers that are really good, i got some that were 90 for only 60, and i got them the next day so i was pretty pleased.

Phantomtek

Reaction score
Cheers lads, probably going to get some asics. Cheers for that site, having a look now.

Any ideas about the other questions, training regimes etc.?

I want to stick to the one on the RM site but I haven't got time to run around in the morning!

LAS920

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers lads, probably going to get some asics. Cheers for that site, having a look now.

Any ideas about the other questions, training regimes etc.?

I want to stick to the one on the RM site but I haven't got time to run around in the morning!

Make time to TRAIN, not to 'run around'.

LAS920

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
There are training regimes posted in the stickey section. You basically need to RUN, a lot.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Dunno what the big whoop is about Asics to be honest but maybe they're just not for my style of running. Get yourself tested at a running shop where they stick you on a treadmill for 5 mins, it's about £30 but they'll get you a pair of trainers for your style.

I was lucky I bought a pair of Brooks GT5 (which now don't exist) which are absolutely the best for my style of running, if you want real running shoes get New Balance, they've been going longer than most companies and they concentrate on what they can do to improve your running and not how they can improve your fashion rating, NB also have a wider insole which helps alot of people ALSOOO.. They're very well priced for such quality.

Also, just thought I'd add my next pair of running shoes are going to be Saucony, another top quality original make which concentrate on running intead of fashion, slightly higher priced but majorly higher quality.

Luke313

Reaction score
my bro was issued a pair of Hi-tech Silver Shadows by the army and i borrowed them 4 an athletics event the uva week, they are the best trainers ive ran in and there propa cheap mate. cud probz pick a pair up at JJB or sumfink 4 about £20

Mnemic5

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
my bro was issued a pair of Hi-tech Silver Shadows by the army and i borrowed them 4 an athletics event the uva week, they are the best trainers ive ran in and there propa cheap mate. cud probz pick a pair up at JJB or sumfink 4 about £20

Yep standard issue, got given them when i frist started navy basic training, couldnt beielve it, but after a few gym sessions in them, they are extremely comfortable! long live the silver shad's!

brownie123

Reaction score
I use asics there really comfy and your feet get a nice cool breeze when your running in the wind. I was using lacoste sento's but they had no support no padding or anything and i eventually got shin splints. Im all better now though and the asics have it all, comfort, support. Was only £40 of ebay brand new so have a look on there :)