Best Running Time (of day)

NearlyFitDan

Reaction score
Hey there, I am pretty fit, just wanting to up my fitness even more. I was wandering what people think about running first thing in the morning (before breakfast). I normally run in the afternoon/evening, and just wandered if being on an empty stomach makes it harder or makes you feel weak/sick etc???

W/\Nnabe

Reaction score
yeah *text deleted* running in the morning before you eat is definately better! it boosts your metabolism, this means your digestive system is working more efficiently and burns off more calories! but it doesnt matter! just go with whatever you are most comfortable with!

*text deleted* been running on average 15-20 miles a week for about 8 month and i always go for a run between 4/6pm after *text deleted* been in the gym!

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah running on an empty stomach does make you feel a bit ill as your body is forced to burn only fat cells for energy, can make you feel nauseas. I mix my morning runs some i will have some oats or cereal before running others I go without anything.

Raz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Run at the crack of dawn i've been told, its good especially if you live in a city, the streets are dead and the airs cleaner because theres no cars out.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Aye that's true. It's nice and quiet and you can have a nice route. By waking up so early is a bit of a killer for (me). There was a period where I was waking up at 4 - 5 and damn I felt bad. Like an hour after I had run I could barely stay awake! But when it came to going sleep at night I couldn't bloody get sleep!

Running at night (before dinner), can actually be quite good. Sometimes I have that really energetic feeling. But gym in the morning (not early).

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I run at about 8pm at night, tonight I went at 9, much prefer it at that time.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
apparently testosterone levels are at the highest in the am meaning that men are better at anaerobic exercise in the am (circuits) and get more gain from it, but it's all horses for courses really.

Aspiring87

Reaction score
Testosterone is definetly higher in the mornings otherwise how would you explain my morning glory everytime i wake up!!:bigsmile:

chrystal19

Reaction score
yeah *text deleted* running in the morning before you eat is definately better! it boosts your metabolism, this means your digestive system is working more efficiently and burns off more calories! but it doesnt matter! just go with whatever you are most comfortable with!

*text deleted* been running on average 15-20 miles a week for about 8 month and i always go for a run between 4/6pm after *text deleted* been in the gym!

I'd say this is very bad advice. I'll assume your running to get fit for the marines and improve your performance. So, would you explain to me how not eating for 8 hours prior to exercise is going to make you run faster?

Also, running in the morning before eating will ultimately slow your metabolism. This is because there are no carbohydrates to be used as fuel, as you haven't eaten since yesterday. This leaves Fat and Amino acids to be used as fuel. And guess where the amino acids are broken down from. And guess what increases your metabolism. (Amino acids are broken down from muscle and the more muscle you have, the higher your maintenance calories)

So basically to maximise performance, fitness and well-being, be sensible and fuel your exercise.

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i could'nt have put that better, i don't know how you can run on an empty stomach.

Aspiring87

Reaction score
So baiscally what your trying to say is, its okay to run in the morning but have somebreakfast before hand, OR forget morninga nd run in the evening?

Ben-wales

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
So becuas im abit fatty in places and im training to loose weight, should i be running on empty stomach? so then my body takkes all the fat for fuel?

i feel better running on a empty stomach (say lunch time have food, 5pm have a run) then getting home and having jacket potatoes and beans *text deleted*

seems to work well and the fat is falling off

chrystal19

Reaction score
Yes run whenever, but to do anything at peak performance you need readily available energy (Carbohydrate). If eating in the morning is a problem, a peice of fruit and a Lucozade Sport would be good - or two.

If you are overweight then fasted cardio is an option, but for performance and fitness it is one step forward two steps back.

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
So baiscally what your trying to say is, its okay to run in the morning but have somebreakfast before hand, OR forget morninga nd run in the evening?

yeh have a good breakfast - porridge and other oats normally do me good, chuck in some fruit as well. Or if im going for a big run i stock up on toast, eggs and beans which keeps me goin for a while. Give it 45 mins to an hour after you eat then start running.

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
So becuas im abit fatty in places and im training to loose weight, should i be running on empty stomach? so then my body takkes all the fat for fuel?

i feel better running on a empty stomach (say lunch time have food, 5pm have a run) then getting home and having jacket potatoes and beans *text deleted*

seems to work well and the fat is falling off

yeh, just keep eating normaly and sensibly and you should lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, no need to starve yourself or not eat before a run because that can be very unhealthy

chrystal19

Reaction score
yeh have a good breakfast - porridge and other oats normally do me good, chuck in some fruit as well. Or if im going for a big run i stock up on toast, eggs and beans which keeps me goin for a while. Give it 45 mins to an hour after you eat then start running.

Yeah I'd eat porridge but I can't digest it, *text deleted**text deleted*s my digestive system over.

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I'd eat porridge but I can't digest it, *text deleted**text deleted*s my digestive system over.

yeh i know what you mean, i have a problem with wheatabix, it goes straight through me *text deleted* :flushed: