Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Best running trainers?

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by future-commando, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    @Chelonian & @Caversham

Ha, perhaps I’ve underestimated the mileage, but I’m certainly not getting anywhere near 1500!

I run by the beach a frequently, where there’s a lot of sand and small stones on the pavement that’ve been lifted up there, effectively gritting the running surface. Could just be my running form though -nailbiting-

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Similar surfaces make up about half of my regular run routes so it's probably not a factor.

I should add that my running shoes are used only for that purpose. I don't wear them as everyday casual footwear.

Personally I'm not keen on ultra-lightweight shoes. The trade off is durability and performance improvements might be so marginal as to be insignificant.

A pronounced running gait might cause excessive wear. Checking the soles of an old pair of running shoes will give a clue.

3. blacky

blacky Valuable Contributor

Looking at the shoe you have highlighted it actually seems less durable than the Pegasus zoom 36.
    It is lighter however not described as daily training shoe possibly something people would race in but not necessarily always train in.

I have the zoom Pegasus 36 and it should last much longer than what you’ve mentioned.

If the runs are very bad surfaces possibly look at a pair of trail shoes for those runs and keep your Pegasus 36 for road runs?

4. Harry McRunFast

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I think @Chelonian might be onto something. I do notice that I sort of scuff/skid my feet when doing my easy runs. It’s less pronounced when the pace increases, but that could the the cause!

5. Trooper149

Trooper149 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Something to check out for dude, with your local physios, is the use of pressure plates in their postural assessments. These bits of kit (besides costing a few thousand to hire per annum) are extremely effective at assessing the weight distribution across your feet while standing, walking and running. Very good if you want to improve your posture as well as static and dynamic flexibility.

Any trainer or physio who simply uses their eye to assess posture, without any metric based equipment, is likely to provide you with subjective feedback. Pressure plates however provide a very detailed report on your bodys mechanics.

Note: Pressure plates aren't the same as gait analysis. Gait analysis is the observation of how your joints co-ordinate and move in relation to eachother while walking/running. Weight and force distribution is only estimated from this. Pressure plates actually deal with impact force.

6. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Holy moly. Don't overthink this stuff.
    It's running... not a space mission to Mars.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  7. Trooper149

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Hoping Boris might start his own Space Force, you never know :D

8. Harry McRunFast

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    D5B78123-C64C-49C1-A12B-E208492A115A.jpeg

Is this the kind of thing you mean?

9. Trooper149

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Best follow this link for an example. https://www.tekscan.com/products-solutions/systems

A proper one, is difficult to attain on your own as you usually have too apply for a quote from a lease business however a session with a physio to get it done should be about £30 to £60 and will be worth it for the the one time.