best time to go on PRMC

M

marcsteele08

Hi guys.

Just wondering when the best time to take my tests and get on the PRMC is
- I mean weather-wise.

Would I be best handing my application in now so I have my PRMC in summer - I have heard even in the winter, in the river jog, if it is frozen up the potential recruits have to break the ice and run through the water.
I'm sure there are other things like this involved.

Also on the other hand, if it is warmer you sweat more, therefore reach exhaustion quicker.

OR,

Should I wait till March/April next year and fit in a whole lot more of training?
This means if I pass I would be looking around summer time for the RT.
Which I think would be good... I don't know much about it though as I've only spoken to a navy recruiting officer and not an actual marine or potential marine.

Just basically looking for your views and I'll eventually weigh up the pro's and con's on the subject.

Thanks,
MS

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Basically when you feel ready! No one can make that decision for you. When you're making the grade plus more you're probably ready. Best bet is to get down the AFCO and tell them your situation and they'll adivse appropriately.

As for recruits breaking the ice well haha, that's Peters Pool and luckily that's not on the PRMC, that's during RT..

Good luck whatever you choose.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
As stated by Ashley, your training will have up to 6 weeks annual leave added to the minimum 32 weeks (assuming you do not get back-classed through injury or illness) no matter when you join you can pretty much expect to encounter most seasonal weather patterns during Recruit Training.

Unless you are applying from tropical climes when cold weather injuries are common when attending Recruit Training due to problems acclimatising, the choice is pretty much academic & depends on when suits the individual rather than what is "easiest".

rogue royal

Royal Marine Commando
Reaction score
hey who really care's about when you start training. at some point you will encounter extream weather conditions when and if you pass out of training. different countries in which you will deploy to will challenge you to the limits being in the arctic or on ops in afgan. the question is if you want it that bad you will put up with any weather condition and carry on past the point at which you thought you could not.

my advice would be just go for it you can not guess the british weather, if you can maybe you should try the met office.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
He lives in Scotland, that's practically the Arctic =D

rogue royal

Royal Marine Commando
Reaction score
yep good one i served up there for 5 years and would AGREE!

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
He lives in Scotland, that's practically the Arctic =D
Fully agree...i came from a hot climate to glasgow....Arctic it is.

Been warm past two days though.

rogue royal

Royal Marine Commando
Reaction score
well thats your midge bitten summer over and done with it will be snowing soon. *text deleted*

rogue.

M

marcsteele08

Thanks guys *text deleted*.
I will just go for it when I'm ready then and forget about the weather!

For the record, Glasgow has been warmer than London for the past 2 days, and it is set to continue for the rest of the week!

After all, the weather owes us!

MS

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
well the good thing about summer is your not shivvering your ass off on sentry duty in the middle of the night and your nipples aren't mount everest in the morning. but the bad side would maybe be the extreme heat and sweat you will encounter whilst running.

but then the good thing about winter is you keep lovely and cool on those bloody long runs, but the bad side is, when your not moving, your shivvering your ass off.

i would personally say it doesn't matter and as said above you will experiance all weathers anyway so why bother trying to avoid one.

but if your really worried about the weather then chose which you prefer, hot and sweaty or cold and shivvering.