Best Training option

sp99

Reaction score
Previously posted this in the wrong section! so here it is... any responses helpful!

Hi everyone, I'm looking for your opinions on what to do in my situation....

I'm currently TMU waiting for my doctor to send medical records back to the nurses because i broke my foot age four.

At the moment I'm training therefore for my PJFT and eventually PRMC. however I've come to a bit of a crossroads and am not sure what way to go. I'm quite heavy at around 90 kg's and 5ft 10 and whilst it is improving, running has never been a strong point of mine. Currently I'm completing the first half of the PJFT in approx 11:30 and the second half in a slow 15 mins! Although like i said i am steadily improving.

the question is would i be best to eat a decent amount putting me in a caloric surplus to give me energy to run, or to eat at a slight deficit to shed a couple kgs to help make running easier in the long run?

currently I'm doing the second one but looking for opinions from those with prehaps some experience.

currently sitting at around 18% body fat

thanks guys any response is helpful

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I’d eat at a calorie deficit mate. As you get lighter you’ll find you’ll be more nimble and body weight exercises will get slightly easier

sp99

Reaction score
Awesome I’ll stick to what I’m doing then! Currently eating 2400 cals which is about a 400 cal deficit aiming to get down to about 84-85kgs by PRMC to help w the running. All the body weight exercises ie. pull-ups don’t pose too much of an issue to me even at this weight so the lighter I get even more I’ll be able to bang out

Chelonian

Reaction score
the question is would i be best to eat a decent amount putting me in a caloric surplus to give me energy to run, or to eat at a slight deficit to shed a couple kgs to help make running easier in the long run?

Losing body weight will improve your running and body weight exercises. Less stress on joints too. A sustainable weight loss is thought by many to be about 1 kg per week.

Advice about diet, nutrition and body weight is a tricky topic to tackle on a forum because we are all different.
For example, I'm close to your own height and I'm consistently about 78·0 kg. But I don't use a gym, focusing instead on functional body weight exercises and CV exercise.
I'm also old enough to be your grandfather, so that's another factor! :)

Below is a link to the NHS healthy weight calculator. Admittedly it is based on BMI—which is a very blunt instrument—but you might find it useful:

https://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx