Best training plan to get started on ?

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by Dom2595, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Dom2595

Dom2595 Member

any input Hear is appreciated. What training plan do you guys *text deleted* is best to get involved in , is arnys still reccomended by everyone ? My fitness is terrible just now due to work commitments ( 11 hour nightshift 6 days a week ) (hating life) only got till the end of the year then I can put my application in for the marines. So wanting to start on something to build me up and get me up to scratch.

2. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

There are plenty of plans on here, such as @arny01 and Fintan. Not sure where you are in the process, but if you haven't passed PJFT yet, I would suggest you get into the gym and train specific for that until you are sure that you can pass it comfortably.

Once that is out of the way ditch the gym and get outside in all weathers and train for your PRMC. Just remember that you need strong legs, so get the miles in!
    Good luck

Alan

• Like Like x 2
  3. Dom2595

Dom2595 Member

Not put my application back in yet , not going to till end of year , so just going to work on basic fitness just now to get that back up to scratch and then once my app is back in I will focus on the treadmill side of it for pjft ! Thanks for the info mate , *text deleted* ease myself back into it as I'm very prone to pushing to much to soon and injuring myself !

4. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

I try my best to avoid commenting on various training plans other than what I did for my lad, simply because I'm not a Royal Marine, and there are doubtless many options to achieve a prmc pass! Other than the program I done for my lad. I know many lads on here have used my plan and have been successful, and it should be them and Royal Marines who are best placed to judge what is "the best way" to pass a Prmc.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Dom2595

Dom2595 Member

I've seen your plan is used by a lot of lads joining and it does get great reviews , I have also used it last year and did find massive fitness improvement while using it ! I am going to get started on a watered down version of it tonight to get myself back up to basic fitness and head towards doing the full plan in time for my app going back in. Just going to take it slow for the time being as I have a bad habit of pushing too much to quick and causing injury ! Cheers arny

• Like Like x 1
  6. aliB

aliB Active Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I wouldnt jump to arnys straight away its very full on. I would start with 2 sessions a week maybe treadmil running and definitely some circuit training

• Seen Seen x 1
  7. Ballista

Ballista Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Yeah, arny's plan is great but it's best for those who have a solid fitness base already. It's something like 30 miles a week as well as 3 big gym sessions which is not a good idea to jump in to straight away.

I'd suggest getting to a stage where you're doing 15-20 miles a week as well as a solid number of press ups and sit ups before starting it.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  8. Dom2595

Dom2595 Member

That's my plan mate ! Cheers

9. Kangarooj

Kangarooj Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Gainers are helpful.. have a look at them on YouTube.
    Basically you can do these with press ups and sit ups and pull ups and you find out your max for all of them to the bleep. You then half that score and do it 3 times with a minute in between. Each day you add one rep to the sets, so for example day one would be 10-10-10 then day two would be 11-10-10 then 11-11-10 and so on. Very good for building the muscular endurance.

10. Dom2595

Dom2595 Member

Aw ok mate that looks good ! Cheers

11. GreyTintin

GreyTintin New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    @arny01

Sorry buddy I bet you get asked this a lot - do you have a link to the original thread where you show your workout plan? Would be massively appreciated.

12. Teapot

Teapot Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    • Like Like x 3
  13. GreyTintin

GreyTintin New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    • Like Like x 1
  14. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

15. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

As an aside @GreyTintin, my lad found that doing hill sprint day on a Friday with sat/sun consecutive rest days worked better for him. Its a 12 week plan at full volume really, you may need to build up to it. You may also benefit from a de-load week around the halfway point too? Whatever works for you.