Best way to get Marine Fit...

RossRobObey

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Right,

Danny and I are having a discussion/argument. He is going to be paying to use the gym equipment, when I said to him that everything he needs is at home. The only tool he needs for getting Marine fit is his body weight. Using any weights etc, is only going to build up excess muscle, which will be a hinder more than a help.

He says that if you use gym equipment, you are going to get much fitter, much faster.

So what do you lot think?

Pay to use the gym, or do it all at home?

(I'm not talking about using the gym treadmill because it's raining, either)

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Do it at home.

My background is weightlifting but i've pretty much stopped doing it in favour of the bodyweight exercises.

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
all im saying is i only pay £2.50 to get in the gym for an hour and a half and the equipment increases your strenth faster, i dont care what anyone thinks *text deleted* thats my oppinion *text deleted* and gym does increase your strength faster.

For example I could only do 10 press ups at the start of the year, went to the gym for 2 months and can do 55-60 normal press ups and 35 marine press ups,

(signature isnt correct, i messed it up, need to change it)

M

MTW

gym is good for explosive strength, but not endurance...or core strength...or balance...etc etc the list goes on....

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with Max.

I had been weightlifting for a year before I started training for the marines, and it didn't help my press ups one bit. You can do more press ups by doing more press ups!

Weightlifting requires short bursts of effort with heavy weights, while the other training is low weight and high repetition for endurance. However I see no reason while you cannot do both.

I think here people grossly overestimate weight put on from doing weightlifting, when in fact it will not hinder your performance but improve greatly and give you more endurance. Your body will be able to cope with little extra weight, but that is weight in muscle and strength so it balances it self out. I find that it will not slow you down while running too much unless you are lifting super heavy weight.

akerfish

In RT
Reaction score
im in the gym bout 12 hours a week. used to weigh 10 stone. now i weigh 13. got stronger, built size. but i have also got faster. i can run a mile n a half a minute quicker than what i used to be able to 6 months ago. push ups have increased alot, situps are great and i have more than doubled my chin ups.

matty630

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, i agree you dont need the gym, i only use the pool which is worth every penny dont care what anyone says haha, and the gym for pull up bar because i havnt got one, other than that you can do everything at home.

M

MTW

gym isnt more benificial for getting fit for prmc, bodyweight workouts are.... in my opinion of course

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I work at a gym, and I can say you do not NEED the gym at all. However there are certain exercises which will without a doubt be beneficial to training for the RM which you cant do at home, unless you have gym equipment.
I dont see how anybody can disagree with that unless they dont know the sort of things in gyms or people who have never used one at all.

Saying the gym is only good for explosive strengh I dont believe to be true as it depends compelty how you train for it.

I have passed my PRMC and used many exercises in the gym which I found extremly beneficial.

yes there are ways to do it at home, and you can still get good results without a doubt. However if the gym is used CORRECTLY then you can get to that level quicker. Its just whether you can justify spending the money on a membership.

As I work at the gym I get free membership, however if I didnt I personally probably wouldnt pay for it and just do home exercises.

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I work at a gym, and I can say you do not NEED the gym at all. However there are certain exercises which will without a doubt be beneficial to training for the RM which you cant do at home, unless you have gym equipment.
I dont see how anybody can disagree with that unless they dont know the sort of things in gyms or people who have never used one at all.

Saying the gym is only good for explosive strengh I dont believe to be true as it depends compelty how you train for it.

I have passed my PRMC and used many exercises in the gym which I found extremly beneficial.

yes there are ways to do it at home, and you can still get good results without a doubt. However if the gym is used CORRECTLY then you can get to that level quicker. Its just whether you can justify spending the money on a membership.

As I work at the gym I get free membership, however if I didnt I personally probably wouldnt pay for it and just do home exercises.

yes thank you.
Oh Ross looks like a few ppl agree with me, the gym is quicker to build strength and that and the people posted comments agreeing with me, alot prefer the gym. :cheesy:

JG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The gym will help you but only a bit, whats point throwing weights round.

Get used to your own body weight, forget iron, use yourself to become physically stronger

hughbrown

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
personally i think rowing is the best and i mean as in a real racing boat not on the Ergo Machine it improves muscle tone, Balance, Core strength(ALOT), Leg Power etc etc

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I do a mixture of weights, cardio and bodyweight exercises and I don't think you need weights at all-except to satisfy your own vanity. Do your curls for the girls! In RT the PTI's will build you up for the load carriage and there's a reason bodyweight stuff (press ups, sit ups and pull ups) is tested on POC/PRMC. I do weights because I enjoy it and I like being fairly 'big'

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Basically its whatever makes you feel happy with. I am happy with my gym contract as its £34 a month and with it i get full weight section which i use for power training , running track, swimming pool and ex-marine that loves 'extra phys' the snot outta me. But i do take days of not even attending the gym and rather run down to the clyde and train near the river just to mix it up a bit and not get bored of either bodyweight or iron plates.

margetts

Reaction score
i do both!

i agree that a body circuit is important but i do weights aswell to mix it up and not get bored!
some day's i might do like .
press up's 15

crunches 12

squats 10

pullups 4_5

tricep dips 12
then i would change to weights.

lat pull = 12 (40lb)

bent rows = 12 (30lb) barbell

squats = 15 (35lb)

tricep extension = 10 (15lb) dumbell

barbell curll = 12 (30lb)

dumbell curll = 10 (15lb)

i have the gym equiptment at home.
and i have started going to the gym for the tredmill!

a bit of feedback would be appreciated!
thanks guys! :iagree:

S

Sotiris

Haha Dan I was going to say that!

It's just like every essay you've ever written, the answer is always "in conclusion, we can see that it took a number of events to lead up to blah blah blah"

Gym and body...makes you strong and durable.

I don't go to the gym but I own some equipment...even a heavy dumbell makes a difference to your regime.

Just like everything else....everything in moderation!! You've got to find a balance between the two. You don't want to be built like a brick *text deleted**text deleted*house...you also don't want to be like an Ethiopian marathon runner. You need a bit of both!

Endomorph...rather then Ecto or Mesomorphic.

recruit clements 1988

Reaction score
I use both. I dont see why it isnt beneficial. Any training is good training And with regards to the "gym is only good for power" thats a lie...everything is relevant. IT ALL DEPENDS ON HOW YOU TRAIN AND WHAT YOU DO WHILE YOU TRAIN...

and lads remember...REST is a weapon