"Better Money!" So he Says!

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
It was funny today at lunch outside school. We were playing football and then we stopped for a bit and two of my friends came over and we started talking about careers and money (dont know why *text deleted*).
Anyway, one of my friends, he is a bit of a *text deleted**text deleted*head snob and was saying id rather work in an office or somewere like an office and get payed lots. I said, "Id rather do a job I enjoy and want."
Then he said, "Whats the point, il have more money than you."

I just laughed at him and said, "you will be a lowlife saddo *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted** that goes home to his flat and eats on junk, I will be out there doing something useful and something I enjoy."

Made me think, what a *text deleted**text deleted* and a whole bunch of knobheads at my school then I thought, "ah well only 7 months left until I leave and get the chance to become a Royal.

I just laugh at them kind of people *text deleted*.

Just a story to tell, I know there has been these before but it just makes me laugh these people thinking they are gona be loaded and have perfect lives *text deleted*.

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
ooohhh i duno i dont mind the marines pay but obviously im only 16 with no worries and no payments sooo i am not really affected once you rank up and stuff it aint that bad

Wezzoo

Reaction score
i have mates like tht, one of my mates is an accountant... making reeeli good money but is working 9-6 5 days a week and half day saturday. has loadsa money but cant spend it *text deleted* has no time. he hateshis job but i always get "the money is great" story off him. I make half what he does and have a better car and enjoy my life which proves its not all about having loadsa money!

To be honest, looking at the money the marines make its not so bad reeli, considering u get accomodation, medical and dental etc for free or veryyy cheap!

i *text deleted* people who work in sales like selling cars and houses n tht, who (because of the recession) are onli making the same or alil above what we will be makin in the RM. If *text deleted* careful with *text deleted* money it *text deleted* reeli matter how much u make... either way ull be doin a job u love. thts my essay :D

PoyserRM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i always forget im goin to get paid for bein a marine *text deleted*

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
yeah i forget we get the free healthcare and dental and cheap tax etc.

Just gona say that to them next time, no doubt their reply will be, "ooohhhh WOW we wont be getting shot at every day!"

D1ickheads man, they do my head in!

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
to be honest the pay i reckon once you get up the ladder is pretty good.............after about 18 years in the corps you can be earning 40k and thats without even being an officer.......i joining at probably 18 and i will have no commitments, so as long as the pay is enough to finance beer, xbox and music its all good............but when i get older 40k is a decent wage when youve got a family and that so yeh

R. M. Pitt

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Don't forget to mention the pension you get after 18 years!

Chicogiz

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score

Just gona say that to them next time, no doubt their reply will be, "ooohhhh WOW we wont be getting shot at every day!"

D1ickheads man, they do my head in!

It will not be everyday, just when you go on deployments *text deleted*. Dont worry i get it to, but your life, so *text deleted**text deleted* them and leave them behind in a office earning loads of money, who gives a *text deleted**text deleted* *text deleted*. You will have the best sides of it.

daz665

Reaction score
Not saying any of you are, but a lot of people seem to presume everyone is the same. I find it quite annoying how people seem to sum up every single job in the computing/accounts market as 'stuck at a computer'. For a lot of people that field is their passion (just like a lot of people's passion here is fitness).

I really enjoy mathematics and computer programming, I'm currently doing A-Level Further Mathematics through self study mainly for the enjoyment. I can sit at my desk working through problems for hours and I don't find it a chore, it's fun. (I'm *text deleted* keep this quiet during training I think haha!)

But my point is, don't have a go at people just because they enjoy different things to you. Not everyone in the field of IT is doing it for the money, and I can assure you the majority do it because they generally enjoy their job.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score

It's probably worth pointing out that you only pay reduced income tax if deployed for over six months- this case seldom arises, however:

Advantages.

Kudos
Pensionable job (non-contributory pension)
Guaranteed employment contract for 18 years or to 40, if you want it.
Free gym membership
Free medical/dental health care
Word travel
Camaraderie
£13,013 starting pay (Other ranks) £28,£28,216 starting pay (Graduate Officers)
6 weeks paid leave per year
Concessionary rail travel
Cheap married quarter accommodation
Free food & accommodation when deployed, or on a ship.
Transferable skills & qualifications
Additional training when you leave to prepare you for specific jobs
Civilian transferable qualifications
World class training to make you best prepared to serve in a hostile or a life-threatening environment.
Free uniform clothing
Life experience
Management Experience
Adventurous Training opportunities wordlwide. (Diving in Cyprus, parachuting in Florida etc)
Disciplined lifestyle with defined structure
A well structured career structure with the ability to advance yourself through promotion.
Assisted house purchase scheme.
Annual pay increases
Forces Discount Scheme- over 500 companies offer service people discount. From Holidays to hirecars to spectacles to solicitors.
The Regular Forces Employment Agency are a free job agency for all individuals who have served- they help you find a job suited to you.

Disadvantages

Separation/Homesickness.
Disciplined lifestyle
High likelihood of serving in a hostile or a life-threatening environment.
The potential to be deployed at minimal notice, thus making it difficult to plan ahead with utter certainty.

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Not saying any of you are, but a lot of people seem to presume everyone is the same. I find it quite annoying how people seem to sum up every single job in the computing/accounts market as 'stuck at a computer'. For a lot of people that field is their passion (just like a lot of people's passion here is fitness).

I really enjoy mathematics and computer programming, I'm currently doing A-Level Further Mathematics through self study mainly for the enjoyment. I can sit at my desk working through problems for hours and I don't find it a chore, it's fun. (I'm *text deleted* keep this quiet during training I think haha!)

But my point is, don't have a go at people just because they enjoy different things to you. Not everyone in the field of IT is doing it for the money, and I can assure you the majority do it because they generally enjoy their job.

Well said. The military life isn't for everyone, just like computer programming isn't for everyone, each to their own. Do what makes you happy.

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
To be honest the Royal Marines isnt really a job for me it is just something i want to do. I need to do something with my life why not something i enjoy?

Everyone needs a job to live, but with the marines the job is your life!

If you were money orientated and wanted to be a marine i do not see why you wouldnt be able to make money through various means. With the country in a recession in the next year house prices will drop off, for those of you of a mind it would be possible with a little saving to buy a house and then watch he prices rise again in years to come and make money on that...
Lots of ways to make money!

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Life and Life's experiences

It was funny today at lunch outside school. We were playing football and then we stopped for a bit and two of my friends came over and we started talking about careers and money (dont know why *text deleted*).
Anyway, one of my friends, he is a bit of a *text deleted**text deleted*head snob and was saying id rather work in an office or somewere like an office and get payed lots. I said, "Id rather do a job I enjoy and want."
Then he said, "Whats the point, il have more money than you."

I just laughed at him and said, "you will be a lowlife saddo *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted** that goes home to his flat and eats on junk, I will be out there doing something useful and something I enjoy."

Made me think, what a *text deleted**text deleted* and a whole bunch of knobheads at my school then I thought, "ah well only 7 months left until I leave and get the chance to become a Royal.

I just laugh at them kind of people *text deleted*.

Just a story to tell, I know there has been these before but it just makes me laugh these people thinking they are gona be loaded and have perfect lives *text deleted*.
I have mentioned this before, but here goes again.

Most people don't join the Marines for the money, more so for the challenges, adventure, hardships, fun, comradeships and the esteem of being one of the world's elite fighting soldiers.

I recall an occasion when a guy who worked at the same place as me, told me he didn't want to work in an office all of his life and that he wanted to get the opportunity to reflect on his life in years to come and have stories to tell his grandchildren. That guy is now happily serving in the military.

There was another occasion when I worked with two guys in the North West of England, who told me they hated my kind of people, because we had some many stories of experiences to tell people about, when they themselves had only ever worked in an office environment, which didn't have the same impact of satisfaction of fulfillment in life.

I may be a bit biased at times men, but that really seals it for me.

Cheers

Steve

New Threads