Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.
  1. randylahey

randylahey New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    I started my application over a year ago when I got tired doing meaningless jobs and wasting away. I’ve gotten very fit with the exception of the odd shin splints flare ups and struggling with pull ups I think I’m on track to getting into a PRMC.

My problem is that I’m working 50 hours a week in construction and then going up to Birmingham every weekend to see my girlfriend and then back on sunday evening ready to do it all over again. Finding it tough to find time for the gym but also need money to get by in the meantime.

I was medically rejected for migraines even though my GP has helped in my appeal I have to redo the medical process and the eye tests before I can actually do the PJFT.

I want this career because its a far cry from the bureaucracy and dull nature of “civvie street” but I don’t think I’ve ever had to jump through as many hoops as I have been the past year and a bit.

I’m hoping that when I put my appeal through that I’ll be accepted and it’ll all be worth it. Just wondering if anyone else is having a similar experience or had it when they applied?

It’s a bit demoralising when all I want to do is get in and see what I can do and prove myself when I just feel like I’m getting nowhere. I’d give anything to be one of the lads who’s posting that they have their PRMC coming up in a few weeks.

2. ave!

ave! Royal Marines Commando

It’s funny, my main bug bear with being in the marines right now is the same as your main issue with being in civvie street.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. DutyWretch

DutyWretch Royal Marines Commando

Thin your girlfriend out

• Seen Seen x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  4. Sly3

Sly3 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Drop your hours to a minimum you can afford the basics, minimise time with the misses, focus on good form and quality exercise and square away your medical, you can be annoying and push it along. Average joes are slow; a good swift quick should see them quicken paces.

We’re the same age and I was stuck in medical hell for “two years” you should not have an issue as dire as my own, crack the nut get on PRMC !

5. Nella94

Nella94 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I just received an email this morning saying the following
    "I am writing to advise you that following your recent medical review, your application has been referred to a senior medical examiner"

This doesn't sound good.

6. Sly3

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    @Nella94

That’s good news, they are taking it seriously and given it a proper evaluation to determine a outcome. Obviously it’ll be handled with care and weighing out all the options and obstacles your predicament meets.

7. Nella94

Nella94 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    The process has been just a complete nightmare. I hope I can be made T2 soon.

8. Sly3

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Usually is with capita, they have to check all boxes off due to the contract, they’ll get bottled if they don’t do things correctly.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Xeones

Xeones Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Can confirm this. Your RMFA scores will thank you for it.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  10. Surfbum

Surfbum Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Not to mention the pretty penny they receive irrespective pass/fail/referral.

I would put a bet down that if they had it there way, everyone would be made TMU on the first occasion.

11. HEF_RM

HEF_RM Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I had this same message this morning. Does anyone know of a timescale this may take?

12. Nella94

Nella94 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I just called Capita, and my review by the SMO is next week and will hear back the day after. I was told this is a 'normal procedure' and 'should have nothing to worry about'. Standard dribble from them most likely. But it's out of our hands, and I spoke to my AFCO this morning about it. He said "what are the four values of the commando spirit", and then he followed by saying they should hear back in 2-3 weeks.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  13. randylahey

randylahey New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    I appreciate the replies lads. It’s been helpful. I’m not one to have my head down for long so I’ll crack on.

Girlfriends amazing so I’ll not be “thinning her out” - you’ve probably heard that a million times but I won’t be the first to get the lid with a long distance partner and I won’t be the last.

I’ll be dropping my work hours I suppose. If I think of anything else worth adding I’ll post here.

Again, thanks a lot.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Ditch the gym & stop paying gym fees, neither are needed as long as you are familiar with running on a treadmill to pass PJFT.

Run & exercise outdoors, it's free & for the most part, that's what you'll be doing during Recruit Training.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Seen Seen x 1
  15. randylahey

randylahey New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Yeah I understand that just I need to bulk up a little and I find the incline on the treadmill is better for my legs and while they heal up and take less impact my cardio fitness will be better. Gyms good for back exercises that will help with pull ups like a cable machine for example which is hard to replicate outside of a gym. It’s an expense I’m more than willing to pay for.

I’ll have to start running outside though nonetheless. I’ll just use my fitbit to measure distance and time since I live in London and there’s no bloody running trails near me.

16. Surfbum

Surfbum Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Be careful, prior to committing to the royal marines, I spent almost all spare time in "bulking up". I now run with 86kg for good measure and it made bottom field an absolute hang out. It requires an awful lot more training if you insist on gaining bulk for whatever reason.

In addition, I ditched all my paid memberships and bought a pull up bar for the house. All you need pal

• Like Like x 1
  17. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Your call on your training programme, but you would do well to listen to those more in the know than you.

The only reason you should be going to the gym is to practice for your PJFT and then practice some more. You will not need it for anything else. Every other element for passing your PRMC can be done outside in all weathers. You need to train specific, especially for your PRMC. Look at one of the plans on here, such as @arny01's and follow that. It's proven and it works.

If you work in construction there will be scaffolding, use that to practice your pull ups. Pick up bags of cement and do press from chest reps with them. Press ups and sit ups can be done anywhere. Practice drags, either with a workmate, or a heavy piece of material. Hill sprints to strengthen legs can be achieved by running up stairs or a ladder. Cardio can be increased by running to and from work. In short, ditch the gym.

Good luck

Alan

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. DutyWretch

DutyWretch Royal Marines Commando

I was joking. I should’ve suffixed my ‘ditch your Mrs’ reply with a smiley.

You’ll hear much worse amongst Marines.

I’m sure you’ll be fine, I worked part time and moved in with family a year prior to joining.

Good luck

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  19. randylahey

randylahey New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    It’s only because I’m a short arse at 5”6/7 and weigh around 65KG. Just want to be comfortably at 67 or so when I’m dehydrated so I’m sure not to be sent home from my PJFT for being underweight. Gym undeniably does help with bulking up but you’re all correct in that I should be running outdoors. And I will be very soon.

Thanks Caversham, mate. The construction stuff you mentioned has already occurred to me. I probably know the exercise but I can’t place “drags” to what it is. What are drags? Also thanks I’ll be following Arnies guide. Have a few questions about it but I can just ask in that thread. More in regards to the abbreviations of the exercises.

Dutywretch that’s fine mate! Can’t wait for the banter

20. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Drags are where you get an oppo and drag their dead weight over the ground by placing your arms under theirs and dragging their dead weight over a distance. Substitute an oppo for a piece of equipment weighing around 80 to 90 kgs. Fix a rope to a pallet of bricks/blocks/cement and drag it! It's all to strengthen your legs. A 25kg bag of cement and crack out squats a few times a day will also help. Similarly, a bag of cement and running 100 metres or so will also help with your leg strength

I worked in construction before joining up and you have a gym at your disposal all day long and without the fees.

Alan