Biggest worry.

S

Sotiris

Is anyone else scared of the firemans carry?

Of all the things in POC this is the most intimidating...for me.

Paul-M

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Nah I used to do it a lot in Kung Fu, I mean sure it wasn't in mud and I wasn't as tired as I will be in RT but I was still carrying people often much heavier than me for 100 metres plus, it was hard but not the hardest thing we did... the only thing I don't like it is you'll be going really slow and trying to push yourself faster but unable to because of the weight which feels a bit weird....but it doesn't actually tire you out much...I'm more scared of the monkey bars *text deleted*.

smallzy

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not looking forward to the monkey bars either. not too worried about firemans carry though. i'm a pretty small guy(5'7" 150 lbs) but I can still carry my dad a good distance, and my dad is a beast.

Paul-M

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
ahh *text deleted**text deleted*, for how far? haha that is pretty lame

Paul-M

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Now I am scared ! *text deleted* ....just practice it loads if you've got a partner, and doing the farmer's run (which is get two huge dumbbells and walk until u drop them....trains the legs and the grip strength) and squats and you should be fine.

S

Sotiris

Ah...I've just noticed your location. I'm at Cardiff too. If you're around next term I'll take you down to a BMF session. You'll love it.

http://www.britmilfit.com/

I'm on a campain to get every serious member of this site going there...or at least having the free session. Also, I'm trying to get all the other Cardiffians organized so we can train together. There are a few of us actually.

If you want more info on BMF just type in British Military Fitness on our search bar, I've written about it a few times.

Paul-M

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah....I've always wanted to join it but the price scares me, especially as I'm already going to David Lloyds which is £40 a monthand I'm planning on starting boxing....but yeah at least for the free session I'll definitely give it a go.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The firemans carry is not so bad mate. It's a good carry designed to spread out the persons weight throughout your shoulders very nicely. I did it with my brothers when they were in the army, cause they had to do it as well, and it's really not so bad.

S

Sotiris

I've done it while I was in the army as well. But we weren't timed and not both in full fighting order. Oh well, I'll practice it with some poor unfortunate.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I used to be a fireman. I am sh1t at the firemans carry because they don't do it in the firebrigade!

Its against health and safety in case you drop the casualty and they get injured they can sue you, so you have to drag them backwards by under their arms!

S

Sotiris

Sigh....this country.. Is it true that they've also banned the firemans pole incase of injury? So instead you poor buggers have to run down stairs? Far safer..

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Sigh....this country.. Is it true that they've also banned the firemans pole incase of injury? So instead you poor buggers have to run down stairs? Far safer..

Not that I'm aware of, I know my local stations still have it, but again, its not like people think it is. There are doors that open onto it and they only open when the alarm goes off so there is no playing around on it! Also its about the width of a small teeneger, you have to hug the whole thing, its not like the ones you get in parks that are like 4 inches thick!

There is sooooo much health and safety in the fire brigade its unreal, it would make you laugh.

For example, you are within you're rights to refuse to do anything you feel is too dangerous or out of your limits. If you are told to run into a building to save a screaming child and you think it looks too hot, you can say no, I don't want to! Without any repercussions. Of course, if you were to do that too often they would question your suitability for the brigade.

You are also no longer allowed to get on top of the pump (fire engine) so everything has to be accessible from ground level, ladders, spades, hose attachments etc.

MAXPAIN

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Do some 400 meter sprints in 1 minute or under and I think you should be fine for the firemans carry

DamageInc85

Reaction score
I agree the firemans carry does look pretty tough, especially if you get partnered with some big, heavy b4stard.
Personally my biggest worry about training is the rope regain. I'm ridiculously unco-ordinated and clumsy and know for a fact that I'm going to struggle with it.
I've been told by an ex-marine that all I need to have is a 'positive mental attitude' and belief in myself etc in order to conquer it. But at the end of the day I know I'm going to get wet, alot.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I've been shown the regain. It's something that appears impossible when you try it your own way but seriously, if you listen to what they say and do it exactly the way they show you, it works, its really weird.

Megalomaniac

Reaction score
Hi I managed to pass POC about 2 months ago. However I was so fooked by the time it came to the fireman's carry (right at the end of the bottom field session) and I was put with someone who weighed over a stone more than me. I did not manage to finish the 200 or 100 meter carry, but I did keep trying until I was told to stop. I was told later that although I did not get a great score for the fireman's carry, I got loads for determination.

The rope regain was not to hard. It did not effect your score if you completed it or not. In fact only three people out of 12 actually managed it. The PTI's and Cap't just laughed when people fell in. I did the regain by just doing what I was told.