Bike punctures

Red Bull

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I may be being stupid here but why the heck am I getting so many punctures on my mountain bike? I literally can't go out on it without getting one. I have a high pressure valve inner tube on and my dad tells me I should be running 40psi in it - do I? Should I?

Getting extremely frustrated!

LMWH1985

Reaction score
I may be being stupid here but why the heck am I getting so many punctures on my mountain bike? I literally can't go out on it without getting one. I have a high pressure valve inner tube on and my dad tells me I should be running 40psi in it - do I? Should I?

Getting extremely frustrated!
40 psi is about the most, tend to get decent roll, rather than them being softer and more sluggish feeling. I put mine upto that and its fine for the roads, just have to watch it on loose gravel when turning sharp as the traction is less. Puntures are a *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**. Top tips is ride on the road, the only thing you can do is just maintain an eye on the ground for potential sharps...

Also when you've got the tyre off check inside where the inner tube sits for any foreign objects. I've found the odd thorn tip before etc.
:flushed:

Mod edit: Please do not use foul language. Thanks.

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
40PSI? I'm going to assume road bikes? My road tyre knowledge is naff all but as has been alluded to, check inside the tyre itself for any sharp objects. It may also be worth investing in a new inner tube if you've had that many.

Stoo2k

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Cheap tyres / inner tube combo mixed with a side order of debris inside the tyre?

Eyebrows

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
40PSI? I'm going to assume road bikes? My road tyre knowledge is naff all but as has been alluded to, check inside the tyre itself for any sharp objects. It may also be worth investing in a new inner tube if you've had that many.
Your probably looking more in the 100-120 range for a road bike.

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Fair one, I don't even ride at 40PSI on my MTB, but then I value grip over rolling resistance.

Red Bull

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs guys.

Probably is cheap tyres i reckon. No puncture protection and have got cracks on them. My dads bike.

Utopia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Having raced downhill for many years I can tell you it's probably the tyre. Not even the fact that it's cheap. I've bought ?100 racing sets that puncture every weekend, I've also bought ?100 sets that have never punctured. It's just poor design.

As mentioned though, if you're just using it just on the road, check the tyre sidewall and interior, maybe something's stuck in it. There's no reason for even crap tyres to regularly puncture on the road unless somethings wrong.

JamieC

Reaction score
Check the rim as well, where the spokes go in. If you've any protruding spokes then they could be doing the damage.

X-Guard

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Get a pair of no puncture treads. Costs ?40+ but worth it.