bit of a silly question about the 3 units

Az

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
1st of all just looking at the 3 locations of the units on google map and i cant see how 700 marines are living in each one, plus the constant new recruits joining..

Also i dont no how to put this but which is the "better unit" to go to? What i mean is im sure there is always one unit that some prefere than the other.. maybe the way they run things, better area? Bigger base ETC ETC? Like what made you choose what unit you wanted to go? Apart from it being close to home.

Also whats the accomdation like for royal marines who just passed training? Is it single rooms?

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i *text deleted* go 42 commando *text deleted* its in a city....city=girls

WrapJuice

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
i believe 45 commando is the fav (not sure why). but i guess it depends where you want to be based so that you're not TOO far from family.

Richard

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Why not 45? I no it has a reputation for hard nuts but its still a good family.

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Why not 45? I no it has a reputation for hard nuts but its still a good family.

i wouldnt complain if i got sent to 45, but id rather be down south. apparently the nearest place with a remote nightlife at 45 is miles away *text deleted*.

Dan-boxer

Reaction score
yeah maybe, but i am sure that they are all near a town. could be mistaken though

tcsmith88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I honestly wouldn't mind where I got sent. All being well, of course. But somewhere with some half-decent nightlife would be nice. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, for the fanny :cool:

C

critchmufc

the RM from my AFCO said that the 42 Commando was the best, he said the 45 Commando was horrible

Dan-boxer

Reaction score
yeah the thing i dont get is if there is 3900 marines. and it also says somewhere in the royal marines careers guide that each commando unit is nearly 700 men strong. [700 x 3 = 2100] So i can't see how there is 3900 marines. You know what i mean?? where are the others based? and is the other 1800 made up of the army attached units ? :S

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yeah the thing i dont get is if there is 3900 marines. and it also says somewhere in the royal marines careers guide that each commando unit is nearly 700 men strong. [700 x 3 = 2100] So i can't see how there is 3900 marines. You know what i mean?? where are the others based? and is the other 1800 made up of the army attached units ? :S

there is FPGRM and logistics etc etc aswell dont forget

encn

Reaction score

Mainly Fleet protection group (commando strength so I guess that must be about 700). 1 Assualt Squadron (Poole) and 539 Assault Squadron (Turnchapel), Then a few at Lympstone and at RMHQ in Portsmouth, and do the SBS count? - that's another 300 or so.

Richard

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Im not to sure about that. In that case would the SAS be the equivelent to the Paracute regiment?

hobbsy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
SBS are marines, as they are marine special forces. But SAS is army special forces, so probably not the equivelent (although there are alot of para's in it).
Thats what i reckon anyway, might be wrong.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
SBS are marines, as they are marine special forces. But SAS is army special forces, so probably not the equivelent (although there are alot of para's in it).

I thought they were both part of UKSF,
and not in the Navy/Army anymore.

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
both SAS and SBS is open to anyone from pretty much any branch of the armed forces, appart from females obviously.

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score

SAS and SBS are open to all arms of the armed forces, marines can be SAS and RAF can be SBS there is no limitation.