Blisters

0.01%

Reaction score
Alright lads,

Need some advice. I've got some quite bad blisters on me heels thanks to a combination of wearing in my new boots, borrowing a mates football boots on Monday night and doing my normal runs has inflamed them. So I was wondering if I carry on running with them will it make things a lot worse / more painful? And the time they take to heal, will that be increased a lot? Obviously in R.T you deal with it and crack on but is that a good idea now?

I was thinking about putting some blister plasters on them, and wearing an extra pair of socks just to pad it out a bit. I hate taking unscheduled days off, really gets me down!

Any advice would be much appriciated!

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Dont let the top of the blister rub off if you can help it. Pop them with a pin and drain them. If at home leave to air dry and the top layer of skin will harden which forms a plaster until the skin underneath heals. If out running then cover with zinc oxide tape to prevent further rubbing.

The zinc oxide tape is also good for taping up the 'hot spots' (points you know your feet rub and you get blisters) before a yomp/run to avoid getting them in the first place.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
pccampbell: do you know where to get zinc oxide tape from? i've looked for it everywhere and can't get hold of it, even a mate of mine who's in CLR can't get hold of any...
0.01% another thing i've found helps is compede taped on with carpet tape, sounds daft but it works for me and stays on for 7-10 hours.

0.01%

Reaction score
0.01% another thing i've found helps is compede taped on with carpet tape, sounds daft but it works for me and stays on for 7-10 hours.
Nice one. Doesn't matter how daft it sounds, long as it works....willing to try anything!!

Cheers mate.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
yeah this is the type i keep seeing, i'm looking for a more padded version i got told about on a course i did a while back, nm obviously chasing shadows

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I've not seen a more padded version. Normally just go for a few layers on my hot spots.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
I recall once coming out of the field in Norway, with huge blisters on my heels that burned like mad. We used to go to the Sick bay, get them lanced and sprayed with iodene and something that I think was called plastic skin. Its probably a similar routine today.

However, the spraying of the iodine used to absolutely hurt like hell. There was an occasion when the duty matelot medic sprayed my bare flesh and the pain was scruciating. I spontaneously grabbed him by the throat and slammed him up against the wall. I didn't do it on purpose. It was just a reaction.

Anyway: I obviously apologised to the medic and bought him a good number of wets later that night in the bar to make it up to him.

He told me that it was a common reaction from bootnecks at the time!!

Cheers

Steve

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* that image is pricelss poor medic!
i've heard of that spray they use, doesn't it toughen the skin up straight away instead of leaving it raw? might be thinking of something else

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
That's the stuff

SeedyTucker: You're absolutely right mate. That's what it does. It sort of puts a plastic film across the bare flesh and gives fairly instant relief.

Cheers

Steve

Woody

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Got blisters in the exact same spot as you, 0.01%.

I jumped in the deep end a bit and wore my unworn in boots to a lake district trip. Needless to say, after half hour I could already feel my heels becoming red raw.

So I'm hoping they'll heal up pretty quick I don't want them to jeopardize the start of RT on the 30th!

goldenboyz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
pccampbell: do you know where to get zinc oxide tape from?
Try boots thats where i got some from! also try applying some surgical spirit to the blister hot spots. it will make the skin harden therefore helping to prevent blisters and sores

karatydude123

Reaction score
this might sound a little crazy but a dude at my karaty club,burnt them of he said it killed at the time but,it helped him hope this helps probs won't tho i waulden't advise it .... ^.^

M

MTW

....you mean KARATE club?

and that sounds like possibly the worst idea to treat blisters ever..

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
yeah man, i don't think giving yourself 1st degree burns over a blister is ever a good idea, especially if you're planning on using that foot again. i'd stick with surgical spirit and iodine myself...