Bloody Heroes, by damien lewis - SBS

keeton

Reaction score
one of the best war books i have ever read, who said SBS were no good on land, u shud read this book!

1st part is about a terrorist ship tht was going 2 blow up london in 2001

2nd part is about the siege at Qala-l-Janghi, involving SBS and american special forces, im glad the US has got 2 tears of special forces, *text deleted* in this battle the lowest tear think it was green berets or sumthing forgot there comms equipment *text deleted* they were flapping so much, i hope delta force or navy seals dont make this mistake, shows y british forces are the best in the world

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yes I read this book not long ago, was a great book and gives a lot of insight into how the SBS operates and the war in Afghanistan.

It it does show the stark contrast between British and American special forces. Sorry to correct you but its tiers - tier 1 special forces and tier 2. I believe it was a mix though. The SBS unit went on an OP with Navy Seals members and a CIA member. And during the siege there was Delta Force (tier 1) and the US Army 10th Mountain (mounted?) division I think who helped them out.

Oh yeah, if you actually read the notes near the end is states no harmful substances where actually found on the ship it was actually a cargo ship carrying sugar. Nonetheless is a good insight into the SBS and how they managed to assault and board a moving vessel from the air.

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Brilliant book, I was completely engrossed, the Qala-I-Janghi siege was incredible, the heroism of everyone involved, and I must also add, the impressive improvisation of the local troops moving their tank on top of the fort... Unfortunately the air support was a little off...

Shame about the guy on the gympie who suffered psychologically from mowing down those Taleban. A real shame.

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
How do you know this?
Don't know where he got that. The guy who was filmed manning the gimpy was unfortunately killed a few years ago on a family holiday in Cyprus, he was paramotoring when the engine cut out, a tragic story. Assuming no PERSEC issues for the mods (it's all over the web with a Google search) he was called Sgt. Paul "Scruff" McGough. RIP.

Can't say whether he was psychologically effected by what he'd done, it wouldn't be a huge surprise (the blokes were put under extra pressure by an Amnesty Intl investigation) but I think he was still serving at the time so it's open to debate.

Mozdog

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
You can get it for a penny on Amazon. I'm not sure if that's brilliant or tragic.

Tanter

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
1P? However, I assume P&P costs ?10, because Amazon really know how to be proper *text deleted**text deleted**!