Blue Peter meets PRMC!

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It's pretty old mate. The format of PRMC is different to that now.
He would never have passed the course with his performance.

Jervis

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yeah did make it look abit easy with the rope n that ok use *text deleted* left then... i was expecting USE YOUR *text deleted**text deleted*ING RIGHT LEG YOU HORRIBLE LITTLE MAN! *text deleted*

THE ISH

Reaction score
Haveing done the PRC in 1993 and then the PRMC in 2008 i can tell you it was a hell of alot harder to get in the marines in the 90s than it is today fact.

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Haveing done the PRC in 1993 and then the PRMC in 2008 i can tell you it was a hell of alot harder to get in the marines in the 90s than it is today fact.

Not saying you're wrong, but doing something twice - it always seems easier on the second go. :smile1: edit - for me atleast! :eek:

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, but training and military discipline was a lot harder and tougher back then. There's this documentary on youtube of Royal Marines back in 1990s and the PTI (sgt Thompson) is one mean badass guy. He's good and not a bully (from the perspective of the camera at least), but the way he trains the recruits is pretty harsh and tough.

Nowadays with all this human rights blah blah its probably not as difficult.

THE ISH

Reaction score
Not saying you're wrong, but doing something twice - it always seems easier on the second go. :smile1: edit - for me atleast! :eek:

Nah it was quite a bit different then you had to do the full endurance course with a log race back from woodbury, the 30 foot ropes on the bottom field allasorts, and you had to go up in front of a board a navy officer, a pso, and a wo2, who fired loads of questions at you it was a lot more involved.

I think it was harder then because they could afford to be as piccy as they wanted and really only select the very best, because there wasnt much going on in the way of war, where as now times have changed theres a big shortage of marines thats no secret.

theres also a war on thats *text deleted* last for years, and also the young man has changed today, thats why theyve changed the way they conduct training along with health and saftey of course,

i think training is as hard as it ever has been but theres more development of the recruit now as apposed to the old method if you wernt upto scratch *text deleted**text deleted* of sort of attitude.

anyway it doesnt really matter eitherway i wasnt good enougth :uglyhammer:

Jervis

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
ISH you were good enough mate week 14 is well gd just family and stuff that made it abit harder for you. but i think they also let him get away with alot more as he is a presenter the cameras probaly wanted to show the audience that it can be done etc. and that there not as harsh.

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
ISH you were good enough mate week 14 is well gd just family and stuff that made it abit harder for you. but i think they also let him get away with alot more as he is a presenter the cameras probaly wanted to show the audience that it can be done etc. and that there not as harsh.

Like on commando on the front line, they don't show half of the *text deleted* about that goes on. *text deleted* keep the general public sweet haven't ya? :cool:

Megalomaniac

Reaction score
I not so sure it's easier nowadays, just different. Having passed a POC I am now looking at doing the PRMC (failed the AIB). The endurance course and log runs are very hard but you just have to keep going. Although you do have to keep up with the PTI's, they are not really going incredibly fast. I'm not a particularly fast runner but managed to keep up. As I said it is just a case of keep going and never give up. However now that I am training for the PRMC I have had to start thinking about getting my run times down. Especially the 3 miler. It's a totally different course to both the POC and PRC, There seems to be less endurance stuff but more timed/sprint work.

Jervis

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* gedro they just turn the camera off half way and grab a chair n start some serious chilaxation! :laugh: na know what you mean. Mega what time you do 3 miles in?

Megalomaniac

Reaction score
Timed my run today with the easy 1.5 miles then all out in 9 mins 49 secs. So i'm in the standard but only just. But don't underestimate the PRMC it's *text deleted* be hard.

JoeSmith

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Blue Peter

Anyone just watch it then, it was about the Navy and demonstrating when the helicopters go over underwater.
Thought I'd mention it because the RM still do it, also a Royal Marine is driving at the beginning so it's not all Royal Navy :sailor:

TM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Obviously no-one wants to admit to watching Blue Peter! What do you mean by, "when the helicopters go over underwater"?

JoeSmith

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry should of worded that bit different it was a part of training which the Royal Marines and the Navy both do where a helicopter tips upside down and the people have to escape whilst underwater.

Thought people might of watched it

On bbc Iplayer if anyone actually wants to watch it

nath08

Reaction score
i didnt see it but my mate in rt did it lastweek sorta filled me in on it i think he said you have to do it in the dark aswell but im nt 100% sure

SandTiger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I did, was just flicking over too see whats on and saw her sitting in the chair for the practice.

I think it's called heli dunking. Thats what i know it as anyway.

WhiskeyTango

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
PRMC question

I watched the Blue peter PRMC episode on youtube the other day, Just wondered if every PRMC course gives the Potential recruits a taster of the 9 miler that the guys got on that PRMC or was it just added to that particular PRMC for the sake of the camera????

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
That was for the cameras. That was actually the endurance course they did (if you mean the PRMC that Matt Baker did).