BMI and your running performance

p04

Reaction score
i have a fairly high bmi of 28 and i feel as though despite being already very lean at 5'6 that im putting myself at a disadvantage by not dropping weight in the run up to my prmc. i am interested to know what others bmi is and also thier running times eg 3 miler and bleep test score

Squatmonkey

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
28-29 bmi. Around 915-20 bft and 13 bleep test. Long runs and hills are definitely tougher but I can just about make it work haha

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Whilst there's little doubt the bmi scale is not without fault, it is in fact an ideal gauge of the individual's likelihood of successfully completing RM Recruit Training.

We know people with a bmi over 25 can run the distance in the mandated times however the odds of lower limb injuries increase significantly due to the loading placed upon it, even if it is muscle.

Truth is, many trained ranks who embark on "op mahoosive" after training would probably have too high a bmi to rejoin, should they leave, BUT the thing to remember is they are not going to undergo recruit training upon re-entry. Anyone that commences recruit training with a bmi over 25 will invariably be delighted to hear, if they pass out, they won't be heavier when they reach Kings Squad. Significantly less, in fact.

p04

Reaction score
28-29 bmi. Around 915-20 bft and 13 bleep test. Long runs and hills are definitely tougher but I can just about make it work haha
are those your PRMC scores? impressive enough, im stuck on level 12 at the moment, any advice on getting it to 13 maybe 14? haha

p04

Reaction score
Whilst there's little doubt the bmi scale is not without fault, it is in fact an ideal gauge of the individual's likelihood of successfully completing RM Recruit Training.

We know people with a bmi over 25 can run the distance in the mandated times however the odds of lower limb injuries increase significantly due to the loading placed upon it, even if it is muscle.

Truth is, many trained ranks who embark on "op mahoosive" after training would probably have too high a bmi to rejoin, should they leave, BUT the thing to remember is they are not going to undergo recruit training upon re-entry. Anyone that commences recruit training with a bmi over 25 will invariably be delighted to hear, if they pass out, they won't be heavier when they reach Kings Squad. Significantly less, in fact.

my knees dont feel as well as they did when i first began the application so il be taking a trip to the physio soon. i think it may be to do with the muscle in the back of my knee being overly tight since i went through a phase of seriously training my posterior chain and neglecting my quads. Running also seems to tighten up the posterior.

haha i find it amusing that op mahoosive is actually thing, i suppose drug use has some involvement in this operation. I always assumed that you would be expected to maintain the level of fitness required to pass the commando tests at all times

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
I always assumed that you would be expected to maintain the level of fitness required to pass the commando tests at all times
Interestingly it's a different kind of phys that a trained Rank Royal requires after passout. Im learning this currently. Slightly less requirement to have such high CV capacity. However Bergans are heavier Excersises are longer and harder, especially Mountain Training. So a higher ability to yomp further with more kit Is needed. Typical troop phys consists of a quick circuit, or an occasional run, but I think most lads double tap phys? And go to the gym in the nights too.

Reactions: cc1

Squatmonkey

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
are those your PRMC scores? impressive enough, I'm stuck on level 12 at the moment, any advice on getting it to 13 maybe 14? haha

yeah they were. I didnt do too much practice on the bleep test as I found it quite high impact vs running continuous and as per advice on here apparently its not too useful in increasing fitness anyway. I tried to make every run fairly fast - always with burning lungs/legs etc so I guess that helped with the bleep test as its a similar stress ?

cc1

(former RM)
Reaction score
I always assumed that you would be expected to maintain the level of fitness required to pass the commando tests at all times

Well, kinda. Swings and roundabouts. Some of the bergens I’ve carried and distances I’ve covered in Norway and on Ops make the ones I did in training look a bit Fisher-price in comparison.

I don’t think you’ll find a single bootneck that could cut around the Tarzan or endurance course as quick as when they were a nod but they can yomp a hell of a lot better!

p04

Reaction score
yeah they were. I didnt do too much practice on the bleep test as I found it quite high impact vs running continuous and as per advice on here apparently its not too useful in increasing fitness anyway. I tried to make every run fairly fast - always with burning lungs/legs etc so I guess that helped with the bleep test as its a similar stress ?
yeh i agree they are more of a test than a way of training, *text deleted* become somewhat of a bleep test addict and i cant seem to help myself. the problem is that the test is very low volume and if you've maxed out for a pr you are usually too fried to keep training. interval training is the best way but not so much fun, i usually do 5 to 8 sets of 0.4 miles with 0.2 jogs therebetween(on a treadmill)

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

We know people with a bmi over 25 can run the distance in the mandated times however the odds of lower limb injuries increase significantly due to the loading placed upon it, even if it is muscle

Is there any documents that show how much of a risk someone with a higher BMI is? Say....less than 50%?

Well, kinda. Swings and roundabouts. Some of the bergens I’ve carried and distances I’ve covered in Norway and on Ops make the ones I did in training look a bit Fisher-price in comparison.

I don’t think you’ll find a single bootneck that could cut around the Tarzan or endurance course as quick as when they were a nod but they can yomp a hell of a lot better!

Have to agree. Yomping vastly improves. I think out of sheer determination lads would give the Tarzan a good going over.

Teasly

Reaction score
i have a fairly high bmi of 28 and i feel as though despite being already very lean at 5'6 that I'm putting myself at a disadvantage by not dropping weight in the run up to my prmc. i am interested to know what others bmi is and also thier running times eg 3 miler and bleep test score

My BMI was 28 when I started my application, 9:40 BFT and 11 on the bleep test. Like you, I was lean and the high BMI was due to excess muscle, but I decided to drop the heavy gym sessions and start running more to increase my CV. BMI is now about 25 and although I feel like a scrawny 12 year old now, trust me, the running is so much easier and your knees will appreciate it too!

I'm now at about 9:10 BFT and mid 12s for the bleep test.

Chelonian

Reaction score
BMI is now about 25 and although I feel like a scrawny 12 year old now, trust me, the running is so much easier and your knees will appreciate it too!

Yep. Additionally, as far as I know, bench-pressing is not a part of PRMC.

Functional fitness focused on the requirements of PRMC is surely more important than trying to look like an airbrushed beefer on the cover of Men's Health magazine.

Teasly

Reaction score
Functional fitness focused on the requirements of PRMC is surely more important than trying to look like an airbrushed beefer on the cover of Men's Health magazine.

Yes, I completely agree - Train specifically to pass the requirements that we'll actually be tested on during PRMC for sure.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Is there any documents that show how much of a risk someone with a higher BMI is? Say....less than 50%?
Hmmn, I can see where you are coming from.

Although I know Royal Marine training is probably one of the most extensively scrutinised, analysed and optimised elements of military recruit training, I must confess I've not seen the Qinetiq published stats on this but there's definitely a correlation between higher than average bmi & lower limb injury during RT, according to the medical experts at CTC.