BMI Leniency

tommy123

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just a quick question regarding BMI, ive always been heavy set, from doing rugby as a kid and contacts sports since the age of 6 YO, I’m now 25.

My question is, how lenient is the BMI score? I have about a stone in fat to lose anyways which I’ve been honest to myself about it, im 5ft 10 and weight 120kgs, my lower half of my body does not have an inch of fat, I’ve always had “treetruck” legs and a booty like Kim K... My top half I do have fat there to lose and I am in the process of at the moment. Will this be a problem?

My ideal BMI weight is around 82 kgs I believe which is impossible for me to reach.

Cheers
Tommy

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just a quick question regarding BMI, ive always been heavy set, from doing rugby as a kid and contacts sports since the age of 6 YO, I’m now 25.

My question is, how lenient is the BMI score? I have about a stone in fat to lose anyways which I’ve been honest to myself about it, I'm 5ft 10 and weight 120kgs, my lower half of my body does not have an inch of fat, I’ve always had “treetruck” legs and a booty like Kim K... My top half I do have fat there to lose and I am in the process of at the moment. Will this be a problem?

My ideal BMI weight is around 82 kgs I believe which is impossible for me to reach.

Cheers
Tommy

I had the same issue I had to lose 3 stone
Not fat just my age and bein already fully developed always going to be heavy(I’m 28)

There not very lenient at the face to medical to be honest.

I failed the 1st one on BMI needed to be 12 stone 7 and 94cm under I was 13 stone 2 and 97cm.

Even if your slightly over I was told those are the rules and if anything happens it’s on them so they have to stick with them!

Your just under 19 stone so you have a BMI of 37.9 which I don’t think even discretion there will even apply to be honest.

I know how you feel about having to lose so much weight I felt super weak when I eventuslly passed at 12.6 90cm waist but I’m back at 14.6 now originally was 15.7 and only 5 foot 7 myself but I’ve kept my waist below 94cm.

What’s your waist measurements?

tommy123

Reaction score
Cheers matty

I’m pretty good at losing the weight, I’m coming from a sporting background where there is weight classes so I’m used to cutting a fair bit of weight safely.

My waist at the moment is 101cm I know the upper number is 94cms, I’m just thinking when I get to say 93cms waist, my BMI may still be “obese” as it doesn’t take into account muscle mass..

Is it a dead cert rule down the line, or will they take it one case at a time and see obviously I’m not obese *text deleted*

Tommy

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The bmi standards, for all its flaws is the standard applied. Max bmi is 28 and although discretion can be applied above 28, as alluded above, the waist measurement around the belly can be no more than 93 cms.

The reason for the strict application of the bmi.criteria is due to the disproportionately high susceptibility of lower limb injury during the rigours of recruit training for those outside the upper bmi parameters.

tommy123

Reaction score
Cheers ninja,

I’m going to see my afco tomorrow, I’ll speak to them about and see what the crack is,

Potentially..

I get to the medical they say no your too fat , do they give you a set amount of time to get down to the sp citied weight?

Tommy

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers matty

I’m pretty good at losing the weight, I’m coming from a sporting background where there is weight classes so I’m used to cutting a fair bit of weight safely.

My waist at the moment is 101cm I know the upper number is 94cms, I’m just thinking when I get to say 93cms waist, my BMI may still be “obese” as it doesn’t take into account muscle mass..

Is it a dead cert rule down the line, or will they take it one case at a time and see obviously I’m not obese *text deleted*

Tommy

No problems dude!

It’s not losing the weight that’s the issue it’s losing it and keeping it off as you get re checked at prmc and RT also.

Yea that’s the issues with it I’m not fat myself and I’m st s comfortsble weight but not much that can be done with that.

They just go buy the rules so if your slightly over they will tmu and tell you to come back at a date that suits you.

@Ninja_Stoker Is there a limit to the BMI? I know it’s under 28 or if you have waist under 94cm that’s okay to be just over.

But if you were say 18 stone and quite short so your BMI would be in the late 34/35 category but had a waist under 94cms is there a limit to this regarding how much you weigh?

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers ninja,

I’m going to see my afco tomorrow, I’ll speak to them about and see what the crack is,

Potentially..

I get to the medical they say no your too fat , do they give you a set amount of time to get down to the sp citied weight?

Tommy

They will see how far out you are and give you a time tried giving me 3 to 6 months but I went back in 4 weeks guess just depends on how you *text deleted* do it as it’s down to you.

If you get in the limits way before the time you can book and have a much earlier appointment.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Top man thanks pal

No worries dude I might have to call them tomorrow myself.

Just checked my BMI and it’s 31.6

Even tho I have passed my medical and have a waist under 94cm I’ll have to see if there is a limit.

Joys of being short ay

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I've known people with a bmi as high as 34 passed fit with a waist under 94cms. It depends on how muscular you are, but by the book, 28 is maximum.

Whichever way you look at it, anyone starting recruit training with a bmi around 28+ certainly won't be anywhere near that if they get as far as week 31.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I've known people with a bmi as high as 34 passed fit with a waist under 94cms. It depends on how muscular you are, but by the book, 28 is maximum.

Whichever way you look at it, anyone starting recruit training with a bmi around 28+ certainly won't be anywhere near that if they get as far as week 31.

*text deleted* ninja just what I wanted to hear so as long as I keep my waist in check I’m happy with this weight felt like I was *text deleted* collapse in the 12 stone area *text deleted*

posh_punter

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I'm basically a very stocky midget. Never even thought about BMI. Needed to get another medical because my first one expired. This was about a week before PRMC. Fortunately I'd slimmed down a little bit due to PRMC training, but I was only 1 point off failing. I thought the doc was joking at first as I've not got an ounce of fat on me.

tommy123

Reaction score
Well done on passing fella, I’ve got about 1-1.5 stone to lose in fat which I can do in 6-8 weeks no worries, I’ve been inactive fitness wise for around 6 months so hopefully that knocks my BMI down to a passable number

Good luck with the rest of your training!

Tommy

Chelonian

Reaction score
I thought the doc was joking at first as I've not got an ounce of fat on me.

BMI is a very blunt instrument. Particularly for those shorter or taller in height. BMI was invented sometime around 1832 I think.
1832 AD, not GMT. But it's a good general indicator nonethelesss which is why it's still in use use I guess.

tommy123

Reaction score
BMI is a very blunt instrument. Particularly for those shorter or taller in height. BMI was invented sometime around 1832 I think.
1832 AD, not GMT. But it's a good general indicator nonethelesss which is why it's still in use use I guess.

Hopefully they take into account muscle mass etc, I’ve got probs at least 8-10 weeks so that’s plenty of time

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The bmi standards, for all its flaws is the standard applied. Max bmi is 28 and although discretion can be applied above 28, as alluded above, the waist measurement around the belly can be no more than 93 cms.

The reason for the strict application of the bmi.criteria is due to the disproportionately high susceptibility of lower limb injury during the rigours of recruit training for those outside the upper bmi parameters.

Is there any way we can see those figures for the lower limb injuries...?

If a female is accepted at a 50% risk of injury........

;)

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hopefully they take into account muscle mass etc, I’ve got probs at least 8-10 weeks so that’s plenty of time

Hopefully mate. The BMI is a joke as is some of the recruiting process these days. But it’s a hoop to jump through.

Keep us updated with your progress.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Is there any way we can see those figures for the lower limb injuries...?

If a female is accepted at a 50% risk of injury........

;)
I'll do some digging, but most of this data is correlated by QinetiQ (or whatever they're called this week), used to be called Defence Research Agency & they gather all the statistical data together with recommendations.

They are the people that came up with the "fascinating" stat which revealed anyone scoring below 10/30 in the recruit test mechanical comprehension section and achieving less than 10.5 on the VO2 only had a 12% likelihood of completing recruit training.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I'll do some digging, but most of this data is correlated by QinetiQ (or whatever they're called this week), used to be called Defence Research Agency & they gather all the statistical data together with recommendations.

They are the people that came up with the "fascinating" stat which revealed anyone scoring below 10/30 in the recruit test mechanical comprehension section and achieving less than 10.5 on the VO2 only had a 12% likelihood of completing recruit training.

One thing that can’t be measured by sciences is someone’s overwhelming desire to bash on regardless, even at the detriment of their body and health. To achieve and win at all costs.

Mindset.

Funny how that’s the advertising tag line and they are turning away potentially good lads for political, financial, social reasons.

Makes me sick.