Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Body Fat %

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by Wolfie., Jan 19, 2014.

1. Wolfie.

Wolfie. Well-Known Member

Wondered what everyones BF was during PRMC/RT, what's suitable for either and what's not.

Wolfie.

2. mikemc10

mikemc10 Member

how do you work your bf out?

3. Hbear

Hbear Member

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    If your in good shape and can smash the phys that is required then it doesn't matter about body fat %.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Wolfie.

Was just wondering before I started cracking on with the phys whether I needed to lose it, around 12% now at 6ft 4

5. Hbear

Hbear Member

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    Ideally you'll want to be quite lean and not carrying too much excess weight.
    I'm 6ft 3 and passed PRMC and started RT at 98kg, couldn't tell you what my body fat % was and couldn't care to be honest, I was progressing with my phys and that's all that mattered :)

6. C

C Guest

I wouldn't worry about going lower if you're at 12%, I know athletes are often single figure but they compete in a controlled environment where by and large the duration is known and they are usually adequately fuelled. Not things that can be guaranteed when on exercise or operations I would imagine.

7. Wolfie.

Okay cheers. 6ft 3 and 98kg are you lean? I'm around 85kg.

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I'd be worried if your BMI was over 28, otherwise it should not be an issue.

9. m2013

m2013 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    with bf% there's always other things to take into account like muscle mass etc all things which may add weight on.
    at 12% you will have visible abs so that's fine *text deleted*

10. Hbear

Hbear Member

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    I was, put on a bit now so trying to get back down to that weight.

11. mikemc10

mikemc10 Member

I
    I take it 28 is the maximum for medical? Makes sense as to why my CA said I need to get below 101kg ( ideally I would like hit 90-95 or below)

I'm
    6ft3 I think not sure if I've grown in the last 2-3 years though

12. Hbear

Hbear Member

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    Official guidelines state that 28 is the maximum however, the examiner may apply a little discretion to this, I passed mine with a BMI of about 28.9 but not every examiner will do that so your best to play it safe.

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

In actual fact the medical examiner can only apply discretion for those over 25 but under 28. If passed fit over 28 then beware CTC can discharge you on arrival for Recruit Training - the Doc should've given you a target weight.

14. m2013

m2013 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    All this BMI stuff is why its just easier to be leaner if you're a bigger build. plus the leaner you are = the less weight you are carrying which makes running easier :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. mikemc10

mikemc10 Member

me being a fatty at the moment come in at bang on 30 haha

16. Fated96

Fated96 New Member

I'm 17, 5ft 9.7", weigh 78 with a body fat of 11% and a BMI at 25. My doctor told me that the BMI can be really stupid sometimes because Johnny Wilkinson is apparently "Overweight" because of his muscle but has very little fat on him? I know the Marines take it very serious though so I'm trying to lose weight to get my BMI to about 23

17. Batman

Batman Royal Marines Commando

As a general measurement of someone's health, BMI is pretty stupid, but in this context the reasoning behind it is if you're carrying too much weight then you're going to struggle with things like running, even if it's all muscle.

18. What a Banana!

What a Banana! Well-Known Member

I believe I'm around 20 - 21. Il have to double check.

19. Dagger

Dagger New Member

The weight rules are there for a good reason, if you are too heavy your chance of passing plummets, likewise if you are too light, whilst BMI has its problems there are good reasons for using it.

20. H_557

H_557 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Sorry to re-bump this post, what’s the best way to get rid of body-fat. Like what’s the best way to burn it off?

Thanks