Body Mass Index (BMI) and weight issues

tripper

Reaction score
Hi im about 6 ft 4, and weigh about 95-100kgs. I play rugby and I have been training for brute force until recently. I am quite fit and most of the weight is muscle but can I still be rejected on the BMI index? Could anyone tell me the BMI scale used *text deleted* i have a feeling im going to come out overweight... Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but i cant find it.

RM

Corporal RM KIA 24/10/2012
Reaction score
you could be rejected mate but the final entry medical officer can use his/her discretion when they feel the candidate is of muscular build i.e rugby players and such like! best thing to do is speak to your local AFCO!

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Hi im about 6 ft 4, and weigh about 95-100kgs. I play rugby and I have been training for brute force until recently. I am quite fit and most of the weight is muscle but can I still be rejected on the BMI index? Could anyone tell me the BMI scale used *text deleted* i have a feeling im going to come out overweight... Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but i cant find it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_living/your_weight/bmiimperial_index.shtml

Try that mate,
you can change it to metric aswell if you want,
if you're one of them that likes stuff in metres.

Joe

tripper

Reaction score
bugger im overweight like i thought i would be... do the marines not take into account that the weight is mainly muscle. my fat percentage is in the average for my height so would that not suffice?

Does anyone have any tips for losing weight without affecting my strength? i already train cardio 3-4 times a week.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
bugger im overweight like i thought i would be... do the marines not take into account that the weight is mainly muscle. my fat percentage is in the average for my height so would that not suffice?
They probably will take it into account mate,
as long as you can pass the tests and you're made out of muscle and not fat,
I don't see why they wouldn't.

Joe

RM

Corporal RM KIA 24/10/2012
Reaction score
if you read what i put mate the medical officer can use there disscretion but the best thing to do is go into your careers office!

and im well overwieght 27.4 *text deleted*

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Am I *text deleted* be one of the only skinny *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**s at PRMC?
I'm 20.5 on that thing.

Joe

tripper

Reaction score
mine came up as 27.5 im guessin the majority of ppl goin will b lower then that due to the 'lean' muscle preferences...

M

MTW

mine was 29.5 at the medical, 29 is the limit no matter of your build, got it down to 27 in a month or two tho, im pretty large tho so i doubt most people would have any troubles.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
If your a big muscle build they will probably let you through.

BMI is the worst idea ever for such measurements and most doctors know it, problem is - finding a better way haha

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
It's a decent way of calculating people's health as long as they don't do much exercise,
because muscle,
or the opposite,
lack of muscle (for long distance runners),
obviously affects these results.

Joe

lewdog29

Reaction score
BMI as an indicative tool in itself isn't great but when combined with other measurements such as fat percentage it can be quite useful.

M

MTW

If your a big muscle build they will probably let you through.

BMI is the worst idea ever for such measurements and most doctors know it, problem is - finding a better way haha

nope they wont not if its over 29, if you like a bodybuilder your waist will be smaller, so will bring your bmi down.

Tom_B

Reaction score
nope they wont not if its over 29, if you like a bodybuilder your waist will be smaller, so will bring your bmi down.
I have to be a real contraverse there and say they do take into account your build, i have had my medical and my BMI was exactly the same as your origional at 29.5 and i passed it. I used to play rugby hence having such a high BMI and passed no problem.

I think it also has a lot to do with the doctor your seeing.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
22.91 according to that, always time to bulk up after im in!
Lean mass for me right now :smile:

andy5sm

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i just failed my medical *text deleted* my bmi im 5ft11 and weigh 95kg but the doc said if i get down to 93gk in three weeks then on the same day pjft so i aint lost any time!

lewdog29

Reaction score
Just out of interest sake..saw this somewhere on the navyseals.com website but apparently the average SEAL's BMI is 25. Use it don't use it just thought you lads might find it interesting.

M

MTW

yes but they measure your waist and your chest to determin your overall build, hence if your fat as *text deleted**text deleted* your waist will be big and chest small, but if you where a bodybuilder and short but weighed loads then your waist would be small and your chest big.