Body weight Squats

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hi I’ve been doing 6 sets of body weight squats each night after cardio because I thought this might help with bottom field. Anyway, I gradually increase the reps I’m on 6 x 22 each night.

I was wondering is this a bad idea am I overdoing it? Because on my run today I could really feel loads of lactic acid in my legs, but maybe I’m not stretching them often enough?

posh_punter

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You can never do too many squats.
Bear in mind you'll probably be doing bottom field after having done a 3 mile run and the gym tests, so it's worth getting used to it. I'd potentially say do them before you go for a run to get used to running on tired legs.
I'm rubbish at bottom field type stuff and better at longer runs, so smashed the squats straight into sprints and it worked wonders. Now I have the thighs of a Greek god.

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ok thanks very much. I’ll crack on with some now then! And calf raises as well

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You can never do too many squats.
Bear in mind you'll probably be doing bottom field after having done a 3 mile run and the gym tests, so it's worth getting used to it. I'd potentially say do them before you go for a run to get used to running on tired legs.
I'm rubbish at bottom field type stuff and better at longer runs, so smashed the squats straight into sprints and it worked wonders. Now I have the thighs of a Greek god.

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
hi I’ve been doing 6 sets of body weight squats each night after cardio because I thought this might help with bottom field. Anyway, I gradually increase the reps I’m on 6 x 22 each night.

I was wondering is this a bad idea am I overdoing it? Because on my run today I could really feel loads of lactic acid in my legs, but maybe I’m not stretching them often enough?
Do three sets for half the days next week, then go back up.

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Do three sets for half the days next week, then go back up.

What about introducing weighted squats at the gym? I was talking to a bloke today at the careers office for the NSRT who was in RM training but dropped out, he said the reason he dropped out when he was 17 and said he really struggled with heavy load carrying. So he recconmended I get into doing weighed squats at the gym

I’m currently following your PRMC plan (built up to 50% of it so far)... what are you views on introducing weighted squats and how would I fit it into your plan?

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
what are you views on introducing weighted squats
After youve passed prmc. My son was 17 when he began RT. Don't let anyone tell you that your age means you can't yomp. Yes it will be hard! But it's hard for everyone. It's all in the mind.

Squats can be a great tool to help you prepare for RT, but at the moment you'd best be doing air squats.

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
After youve passed prmc. My son was 17 when he began RT. Don't let anyone tell you that your age means you can't yomp. Yes it will be hard! But it's hard for everyone. It's all in the mind.

Squats can be a great tool to help you prepare for RT, but at the moment you'd best be doing air squats.
Ahh ok thanks. And how much of a gap between PRMC and recruit training is there? Will it be enough time to develop strength through squats? And also what day do you think I could fit it in once I pass PRMC because your plan involves running 5 days a week?

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
And how much of a gap between PRMC and recruit training is there?
Around 6 weeks, but your Prmc pass is valid for 1 year. If you feel you need say 10 weeks to better prepare, then make that clear to your AFCO. However a prmc pass means your physically ready to begin RT day 1 week 1. The rest will be taken care of by the PT staff.

And also what day do you think I could fit it in once I pass PRMC because your plan involves running 5 days a week?
Pass prmc first then worry about preparing for RT. I'll give you a plan to sort you out for that, but for now, just focus on passing PRMC using the plan your already on.

Squatmonkey

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
What about introducing weighted squats at the gym? I was talking to a bloke today at the careers office for the NSRT who was in RM training but dropped out, he said the reason he dropped out when he was 17 and said he really struggled with heavy load carrying. So he recconmended I get into doing weighed squats at the gym

I’m currently following your PRMC plan (built up to 50% of it so far)... what are you views on introducing weighted squats and how would I fit it into your plan?

Weighted squats can be useful to help make your lower back and legs more resilient, but you won't ever need to go very heavy on them, and plenty of people don't do any and still yomp fine. It's all mental

I can't see any benefit of going above bodyweight on the bar as I can squat a lot but still hate every second of having a Bergen on my back - so don't think it makes it any easier !

Getting to a bodyweight squat for reps doesn't take long at all, we are talking a matter of 4-6 weeks from nothing here, so don't worry about being rushed for time either. Arny knows what he's talking about, concentrate on Prmc first

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Around 6 weeks, but your Prmc pass is valid for 1 year. If you feel you need say 10 weeks to better prepare, then make that clear to your AFCO. However a prmc pass means your physically ready to begin RT day 1 week 1. The rest will be taken care of by the PT staff.

Pass prmc first then worry about preparing for RT. I'll give you a plan to sort you out for that, but for now, just focus on passing PRMC using the plan your already on.

Ok thank you this has clears a lot of things up for me

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Weighted squats can be useful to help make your lower back and legs more resilient, but you won't ever need to go very heavy on them, and plenty of people don't do any and still yomp fine. It's all mental

I can't see any benefit of going above bodyweight on the bar as I can squat a lot but still hate every second of having a Bergen on my back - so don't think it makes it any easier !

Getting to a bodyweight squat for reps doesn't take long at all, we are talking a matter of 4-6 weeks from nothing here, so don't worry about being rushed for time either. Arny knows what he's talking about, concentrate on Prmc first

Ok I’ll just stick with body weight stuff for now and just focus on getting fit for PRMC.

New Threads